• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 Summit Highmark (Oldie but goodie)

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Nice looking sled... Very clean..

On the ZX chassis, one of the big things I like to do is get the front end off the ground more so it does not "plow" in the deep snow...

IF you have adjustable tie rods, you can do this very easy by switching the 2 shock upper mounts (left to right) .. this will gain you some significant clearance BUT you have to adjust the steering via the tie rods to get it straight again... So, you may want to investigate that.. Or even try it and see how far out your skis move.. I can not remember all the details... but it is really fast to do and check out

Other thing I remember is that once I lifted the front end, it sagged the rear and when I dropped the rear mount down, it added some good ski presure that I dd not care for.. So, it was not all roses... but the higher fron t end worked wonders.

Good luck with your mods.. you are doing a great job!!

Kelsey

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Nice looking sled... Very clean..

On the ZX chassis, one of the big things I like to do is get the front end off the ground more so it does not "plow" in the deep snow...

IF you have adjustable tie rods, you can do this very easy by switching the 2 shock upper mounts (left to right) .. this will gain you some significant clearance BUT you have to adjust the steering via the tie rods to get it straight again... So, you may want to investigate that.. Or even try it and see how far out your skis move.. I can not remember all the details... but it is really fast to do and check out

Other thing I remember is that once I lifted the front end, it sagged the rear and when I dropped the rear mount down, it added some good ski presure that I dd not care for.. So, it was not all roses... but the higher fron t end worked wonders.

Good luck with your mods.. you are doing a great job!!

Kelsey

Thanks for the complement, I take a lot of pride in how it all turned out. I will take a look at the shock mounts and see what I can figure out. Now that you bring that up I remember reading about that sometime ago.

What I really need to finish this sled all off is a RK Tek decal for my newly cut windshield, let me know where I can get one.....

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
So I couldn't just leave good enough alone there is always a little more that can be done. So off to Hay Days I went this year with cash in my pocket in search of some good deals. The first thing I came across was a pair of Fox Float shocks that I had to have.
picture007jw.jpg

After that I strolled up to the Ice Age stand and couldnt leave there without buying a set of rails for the sled. I was just hateing the idea of using the rail extensions that I put on when I streatched the sled from 151 to 162. So off with the brand new rail extensions that I never used and on with the new black Ice Age rails.
picture004ec.jpg

picture008yju.jpg

I really love the way that they turned out. Ice age was very good to work with, figuring out what rail I needed for what I was trying to do. There rails are really awesome built in my opinion, they fit perfect and they are flawless.

I was all set to buy a Boss Noss nitrous kit at hay days but I chickened out and didn't pull the trigger. However after sitting in the garage with the buddies drinking in the 100 degree summer heat I had one to many and went ahead and bought a used kit from a fellow snowester. Got the kit and got it installed.
picture005ln.jpg

picture006by.jpg

I just have a 30hp shot in the sled right now, and I am using VP117 race gas in the little fuel bottle just to be safe with my high compression engine. I am hopping that I haven't created a ticking time bomb, but I think with moderation I will be alright. However if there is anyone out there with experience with high compression and small amounts of nitrous I would love to chat because this is new territory for me and I am very scared to hit the button.
I am just looking to get that last little push that I might need to get over the top or out of a bad spot, or just to see how deep I can get it stuck. I am hopping the nitrous will keep my mind off of a turbo for a little while longer, however as I sit here typing I am already planning out in my head how I am going to put a turbo kit together.
So we are possibly getting 4 in of snow here in Iowa tomorrow so I am hopping I can get it out and put it around a little and see how she runs before I go out the Laramie in Jan and Cooke in Feb.

V
Jan 18, 2009
Nice sled and great build! As I was reading, I was going to suggest IceAge and low and behold you found them. Again, great job on the build.

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
That is correct they are fabcraft trailing arms, however they do not make the carbon fiber ones that I have any more. They still do make the aluminum ones for the zx however

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Sorry for not getting back to you earlier, I believe the shocks are 16in or 17in. they are the exact same length as the shocks that I took off, I just cant remember for sure right now.
Ceramic coating the exhaust is defiantly going to happen this next summer, I just can never seam to keep them tin exhaust covers from not vibrating and falling apart.
Here are a few pictures of the sled on the hill in Laramie a couple weeks ago. Sled ran great, I finally got the clutching and gearing dialed in. Sled really rips, going out to Cooke city this upcoming weekend, really looking forward to it.
imageihr.jpg

imagefmw.jpg

02SummitX800

Lifetime Membership
Oct 2, 2009
Well I finally broke down and bought a new sled, mainly because I have done all I can to this sled and I want to start a new project. So my 2002 summit is now for sale. The sled is in perfect shape and you will never find.a nicer and harder running zx, that is a fact. I am willing to sell the sled complete for the right price or it is going to start to come apart. Anyone interested in the whole sled or parts let me know. Open to all offers...

Premium Features