• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 RMK 600 - subtle upgrades

R

rjkoll

Nov 4, 2009
Awesome looking sled! Any thought on powder coating the rails and front bumper? Black or white on those would look sweet!

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Awesome looking sled! Any thought on powder coating the rails and front bumper? Black or white on those would look sweet!

Maybe next Summer I will do some powder coating, it's getting too close to the season to be tearing it down :D

Bad *** looking sled! Are those RSi bars on there? If so, which ones?

They are stock RMK bars. I noticed that the '12 sleds have a 3" riser and the handlebars have roughly a 2" rise. On my other standard RMK's, the stock riser was 5" or so and the bars were flat.

I should be getting the top end back next week from Carls Cycle. Can't wait to get this project buttoned up and then stare out the window for snow to fall.

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
great project, loved seing it transform
you mad some mad skillz my friend

i really want to get a foot well vent, but my 2012 600 144 RMK is a bit different then the 800's

DSC_0085.jpg

as you can see it has a few bends in it
any chance you can get your hands on one to make one?? ;)

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
great project, loved seing it transform
you mad some mad skillz my friend

i really want to get a foot well vent, but my 2012 600 144 RMK is a bit different then the 800's

DSC_0085.jpg

as you can see it has a few bends in it
any chance you can get your hands on one to make one?? ;)

Thanks, I appreciate the compliments.

You know, I don't have any 2012 RMK 144's in our group this year but I do have a dealership close by.

I don't think it would be all that hard to make a vent for that, just time consuming. I would guess that I have about 20-25 hours into my vents. Part of that time was figuring out what I really wanted. I wanted something different than everyone and something subtle but still functional.

Process I used
1. You need to get some poster board and make a template of the footwell - noting the ovals, aluminum or air space, and Z bends.
2. Then you would need to make another template (side profile) of the actual Z bend. This will be your guide for bending the ABS.
3. Trace #1 template to ABS - cut out.
4. Heat up ABS and bend per #2 template.
5. Cut out air flow holes.
6. Clean up edges with Dremel and/or belt sander.
7. Decide if you need to make it a two piece or one piece template.
8. Clean back side of ABS with Rubbing Alcohol a few times.
9. Lay a bead of adhesive on the backside of ABS and lay down the mesh.
10. Let cure over night - depends on the adhesive.
11. Add prefilter material - if wanted.
12. Cut excess mesh/pre-filter material off.
13. Install.

Of course I didn't add how many times you need to test fit. Good templates will limit this process but you should always test fit before drilling for rivets.

I won't have time to look at the local dealer this weekend due to a leaky crankshaft oil seal on my car that needs replacement. If I get time, I will swing by there and see how well my current template works.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN

Peeling decals = 1 hour
Headlight wrap = 1 hour
Tunnel wrap = 7-8 hours
Vents and templates = 20-25 hours
Tether, handguards, skid plate, bumper= 1 hour
Engine = 2.5 hours so far (disassembly and plastic removal)
Parts chasing (adhesive for vents, ABS plastic, rivets, prefilter material) = 1-2 hours

A lot of my time was figuring out how I want everything to look, function, and of course test fitting parts. I'm sure if there was a video camera in my garage, you would see the dog-head-tilt look several times throughout the project. I think it turned out decent for the tools/equipment I had available to me. I made a set of upper replacement vents for another guy on the forum and it only took 2.5 hours start to finish.

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
So add up all the hours and double it?

Sounds about right :D

I built a belly pan block off for my sled today. Some folks say they get ice in the bulk head and some say it's not needed. I figured since the sled is still apart, why not make it.

Big factory opening
SAM_1215.jpg

Added some tape to block off these holes
SAM_1216.jpg

Made a template
SAM_1217.jpg

Modified template
SAM_1218.jpg

Verified template fits
SAM_1219.jpg

Cut out the ABS from template. Heated ABS to form the shape.
SAM_1221.jpg

SAM_1226.jpg

SAM_1228.jpg

Cleaned up the edges with belt sander. Drilled holes for rivets.
SAM_1231.jpg

Installed
SAM_1234.jpg

SAM_1236.jpg

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Got some parts in this week.

SAM_1241.jpg

Got the top end installed
SAM_1242.jpg

Exhaust installed
SAM_1244.jpg

Added red RTV to exhaust joints
SAM_1245.jpg

ECU installed and oil tank secured
SAM_1247.jpg

Pulled my skis off to make room for my new shoes - MODS Skis
SAM_1243.jpg

Mods Skis installed
SAM_1248.jpg

SAM_1249.jpg

SAM_1255.jpg

Needed to add a couple spark plugs to my tool kit but didn't want the gaps to be closed by bouncing around. Cut a piece of 3/4" rubber hose to keep them separated.
SAM_1251.jpg

SAM_1253.jpg

SAM_1254.jpg

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
Looks great. Where did you get youre pre filter material from? thanks

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Looks great. Where did you get youre pre filter material from? thanks

Thanks

For the mesh, I purchased the material online a few years ago...sorry, can't remember the name of the place.

For prefilter, I picked it up at a craft store called JoAnn Fabrics. Hopefully it works out well :D

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
Finished up the second heat cycle and installed the hood, side panels, and Polaris goggle bag.

Goggle bag install
SAM_1264-2.jpg

SAM_1265-2.jpg

SAM_1266-2.jpg

Added a rubber cap to the goggle bag to avoid scratching the goggle lense.
SAM_1267.jpg

SAM_1270-1.jpg

SAM_1273-1.jpg

Finished up. Just need to add the registration stickers now, finish the 3rd heat cycle, and then do a once over for leaks/etc.
SAM_1274.jpg

SAM_1275.jpg

SAM_1276-1.jpg

SAM_1277-1.jpg

SAM_1278-1.jpg

Off to the mountains next week to break it in and see how it performs.

Premium Features