• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

replacing stock heated grips any advice on install?

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
I just got a new set of stock heated grips. Is there any trick to the install? This is for an 06X. I tried to get the mountain ends off at another time and they seamed to be in there solid. I was going to use some penetrating fluid on them but I dont really want to introduce oils to the area before I try and stick new grips on. What kind of adhesive should I use to stick the new grips in place?

Thanks for the info

D
Oct 13, 2008
You can buy a tube of grip adhesive or I have just used a little bit of silicone. Then take
a air nozzle and stick it in the end of the grip ( may need to wrap a rag around it to help seal it ). Slide grip on the bar a little and then hit the air. Blows up the grip and it will slide on like butter.

Best way that I've ever done it. remove old grips, spray any generic brand aerosol hairspray generously into grip and then slid them on and let them dry. Everytime I've used this method the grips slid right on with no problems and stuck once dry. Never had a problem with grip slip or any other issues. Let dry for 10 minutes or so in a warm area.

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
Thanks for the posts guys. I have heard of the hairspray and or spray paint methods. You would think that hair spray is water based and it might disolve. The air hose method also sounds cool.

Cheers

M
Dec 7, 2007
I've used Elmers glue from the kids school bags as a lube and it dries rather fast. Never had a grip fall off yet. As for the carb or break cleaner, you need to be fast as it evaporates quickly.

Mac

M
Dec 13, 2007
I don't know if it would work because of the heaters but one of the best ways i use for attaching my MX grips is the wrap the bars with electrical tape, then take the grip and dump gas into it and quickly dump/shake grip out and slide on and position. The light coating of gas in the grip reacts with the electrical tape and creates a glue. Works amazing and have never had a grip slip using this method. Once grip is on it only takes a few minutes for the reaction to be done and grip is on there solid

Premium Features