• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Got a clutch issue? Need Help

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
Heres the deal, spider came apart on me, think due in part to a bad roller shaving my 70g weight down to a 64g weight and unbalancing the whole thing and streesing the cast. So new clutch is needed, should I go OEM, or try aftermarket? Its a 33 MM 6 tower off of a 06 M7.

Next issue Im having is how the hell am I to get the other half of the clutch off? Ive put heat to it for a while, dont have a big torch, using smaller map gas torch, heated for about 5 minutes, 2 seperate times and nothing, dont wanna beat on it to much, but what other option do i have?

DSC06971.jpg DSC06973.jpg DSC06974.jpg

R
Nov 28, 2007
Enumclaw Wa.
Be careful heating that stub on the crank !!

First of all the only way to get that steel shaft off of your crank is to cut it
off and be careful not to hurt your crankshaft ! when you use heat on that shaft if you got it to hot you probably melted your crank seal and your motor will have to come completely apart to be fixed with a new seal.:(

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
First of all the only way to get that steel shaft off of your crank is to cut it
off and be careful not to hurt your crankshaft ! when you use heat on that shaft if you got it to hot you probably melted your crank seal and your motor will have to come completely apart to be fixed with a new seal.:(

Funny, I know a certified Arctic Cat mechanic who just heated one off a friends sled, seems fine, what do you suggest it be cut off with, obviously not heat, cutting wheel perhaps, would that work?

C
Feb 1, 2008
Cutting wheel might work but I have taken one off a few years ago with a 4" grinder. Go a little at a time and keep a cool wet rag behind the sheave and over the seal to prevent damage. Good luck:beer;

W

wysnow

Dec 7, 2008
togwotee pass wyoming
ya that clutch had a prodlem like that. at togwotee we had to heat it up with a torch and beat it off. u have to be care that u dont get the crank to hot or it will mealt your crank seal. also you can cut it of with a cut off wheel then take a hammer and a chizle and break it off. you will want to go with the 9 tower clutch. we had better luck with the then the old clutches

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
well i would weld a big nut one the end of that stub or partly in it...keep stub cool with wet rags,,and have ground close to end..(to not get arcing in crank brgs)..then just run long threaded bolt through nut and pop that baby off....and cutting wheel on grinder will work sweet...and you cold fill cavity with water after nut was welded and plug nut with short bolt and park sled outside for the night and let freeze...your clutch will be lying in the bottom of yer sled...if ya kep stuff cool don;t worry about seal

either a cutting wheel or grinding wheel to cut a relief groove or two, if that is not enough...run a garden hose on the crank by the seal to keep the crank cool, get the clutch, or whats left of it hot and it should pop off

I would be really suspect of the soundness of the crank after that mess. Iwould sure check the runout before you make a trip.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
or weld plate over end of stub and install grease zerk and hydrolic it off...don;t sweat it...easy easy fix

C
Dec 11, 2007
St.Regis MT
Mine broke like that too_Only it snapped right next to the sheeve.We tried using heat etc. Ended up breaking it in half while tring to pry it off after heating it. Not a fun job...good luck.

IShartd

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Alpine County, CA
Thanks for the info, not to worried about the Seal, didnt apply heat to the crank itself, and like I said didnt go at it with a big old acetolyne torch, anyway have a spare bottom end to poach from in the worst case. Gonna get after it with a cutting wheel on the grinder. Do you think I could make a few cuts to the shaft and get after it with the shizzle, or cut the shaft and go all the way up the sheave an try and stretch it apart, would like to keep couterweight intact if possible.

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Do a relief cut near the center of that sheave it will take the stress off the shaft. You wont even need to cut the whole sheave.. Worse case scenario hammer a chisel into the relief cut and it will pop off. Seen this done. About 5 mins work........

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
I wouldnt weld on it, way to many other options. Welding can produce alot of heat which is bad fo yer seals. And welding can affect bearings in yer crank. Nothing like a magnetized bearing thats lost its hardness from welding.......

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Had a bearing race seize in a ford axle tube, tried a puller didn't work. I had a pro grade die grinder and used a small bit ground as small a groove as possible until it was thin and used a flat chisel and it popped right out.

Premium Features