• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled Comparison thoughts please:

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
I’ve had 6 great years on Pro and Axys chassis but am considering to change it up. Looking for constructive thoughts on the Axys compared to the 2018 ascender chassis from people that have had a chance to really ride both.
Main riding terrain for me is technical tree riding, lots of treed slow speed sidehilling with sidehill directional changes, but still some good old fashioned alpine meadow carving thrown in. Area where I am is mostly deep dryer powder so hoping guys who ride similar on an Axys can chime in or has experience with a friend in the group who rides one or other.
I’ve only ridden a 2015 M sled so sounds like not a good comparison of the new cat chassis.
Thanks for any thoughts, will also ask similar question in the cat section.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
After our group renting an 18 mc 162x3 4 different times.

The MC only suffers on the steepest sidehills with not being able to stick on the hill. (Vs 16 Axys 162x3)
(Even with the QS3L rear shock locked)

Pretty much identical in a drag race uphill in fresh.
Stock MC vs stage 2 slp axys.

The 18 mc has the mapping hesitation for a 1/2 second every time the throttle is stabbed. (Takes a little getting used to.)

Definitely a viable alternative.

(After reading some about cat steering mods I believe that more steering turn angle would benefit the MC)
Basically let you turn farther to pop the sled out of the perpetual washout on super steep sidehills.

Last edited:

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Got a 18 MC and axys in our group, and pretty much the same results as above when stock. The 18MC with some lightweight goodies and a belt drive is an absolute beast.

I guess stock for stock they are comparable with cat getting the edge on durability and reliability. Axys getting the edge on energy left at the end or the ride but both can pull the same lines. If your into aftermarket at all there are a lot more waist gains on the cat than the poo.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Got a 18 MC and axys in our group, and pretty much the same results as above when stock. The 18MC with some lightweight goodies and a belt drive is an absolute beast.

I guess stock for stock they are comparable with cat getting the edge on durability and reliability. Axys getting the edge on energy left at the end or the ride but both can pull the same lines. If your into aftermarket at all there are a lot more waist gains on the cat than the poo.
Very viable contendor. Like mentioned, aside from the steepest hills they are very on par. The cat is a little heavier and more planted but in anything but hard spring snow you barely notice it. IMO the cat has a stronger motor/clutch/track combo and puts the power down a little better.

And more goodies coming from the aftermarket to make the cat more playful/agile/lighter every day now that cat has a solid foundation unlike previous model proclimb sleds.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Thanks for the great replies. Feel like I might be leaning to trying out the cat. It’s tough when I’m so comfortable on the axys and we work good together haha.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
In our coastal snow you can feel the tall spindles when the snow gets wet and heavy. The cat does trench more then the axys. ( I have a 3" powerclaw on my axys). Cat is easier to get on a edge, but the axys holes the line with less effort. Cat feels a bit heavy on the front but not bad. I ride with a 18 cat all the time and we switch sleds a far bit.

Premium Features