• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch issue

M
Jan 13, 2011
I have a '16 pro s sb with 4200 miles. On my last ride this season my belt started slipping after getting stuck in 3' of snow. Primary was really hot. (Same issue with a new belt). Made it through the day but would slip whenever starting to move. Ran good as long as I was moving. Got home and took everything apart and installed new rollers, buttons and bushings. Nothing appeared to worn very bad except the plastic washers on each side of the rollers (melted from the excessive heat). Took the secondary apart and checked/cleaned and put it all back together with a new belt and it's still slipping. What else would cause this? Please help.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Is your track/chain binding at all? Possible residue on clutch faces/belt. If you can rule out worn clutch components then maybe alignment may be out of spec. Or center to center distance.. I hear an awful lot about motor mounts pre maturely failing, causing rpm issues.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The roller bushings being melted out can cause some dumb issues with the rollers binding. I know on the Mountain sleds I usually need those replaced every 4-500 miles. When they fail it starts to cause large rpm drops and really poor clutch performance.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Agree on the residue on clutch sheaves. Take off clutches and wash the sheaves in really hot soapy water using a hard bristle brush to really work on the sheaves. Idea of hot water is to get the pores of the aluminum to open up so the residue washes out. Also scrub the sides of the new belt in hot soapy water as well. Rinse everything in clear water and let dry. It really does make a difference.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Are your weights rubbing on the spider? We are seeing many wear out the bushings in the weights and the weights twist over and catch on the spider. If one or two are doing this near clutch engagement, you wont have sufficient pressure to close the clutch on the belt. I believe the AXYS is much worse for this over the ProRide as the AXYS motor hits much harder and it usually pulls heavier weights which cause more wear.

M
Jan 13, 2011
Are your weights rubbing on the spider? We are seeing many wear out the bushings in the weights and the weights twist over and catch on the spider. If one or two are doing this near clutch engagement, you wont have sufficient pressure to close the clutch on the belt. I believe the AXYS is much worse for this over the ProRide as the AXYS motor hits much harder and it usually pulls heavier weights which cause more wear.

Thanks for reply, I will check again but there were no signs of rubbing or binding.

M
Jan 13, 2011
Is your track/chain binding at all? Possible residue on clutch faces/belt. If you can rule out worn clutch components then maybe alignment may be out of spec. Or center to center distance.. I hear an awful lot about motor mounts pre maturely failing, causing rpm issues.

Thanks for the advice, I will check the chain tension and track.

Premium Features