• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what you take on backcountry trips

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
B
Nov 28, 2016
Bozeman MT
I just thought it might be nice to get an idea of what guys are bringing along on long trips in the backcountry. To me, the best part of sledding is going the places others wouldn't. Here's what i take with me:

1. Partner or three
2. Shovel, beacon, probe and avy 1 training
3. Walkie talkies
4. Extra warm gear (hat, warm mittens, extra base layer)
5. Water and snacks
6. Lighter
7. Cell phone
8. Custom tool/fix kit
9. Stuckmate (haven't got it yet, looks pretty handy though. Ordered last night)
9. Coors banquets

My tool kit is in a waterproof pelican-esque case 8"X11"x2. Here's what's in that:
-1/4" drive finger ratchet with 2.5" extension
-1/4 drive 8mm,10mm,12mm, p2, flat head
-8,9,10,12,14,15 17mm wrenches
-4 in one screw driver
-needle nose pliers
-slip joint pliers
-Allen wrenches
-12' of 700# webbing
-wet/dry gorilla duct tape
-two part epoxy
-5 medium zip ties
-4 HD zip ties
-one rag

What am I missing? What do you guys take?

Stuckmate
http://stuckmate.ca

IMG_0611.jpg

schmidty89

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2008
Spirit Lake IA
love the Pelican Case; my little tool bag is always wet works for now but i might have to try a waterproof case. Also the epoxy was the only thing not on my list but will be after this weeked.

My list

1- lots of zip ties
2- baling wire
3- metric,std and torx allen wrenches
4-small wide-mouth channel lock crescent wrench
5-small screw drivers and wrench sets
6-paracord
7-steel wool (can clean up a clutch or start a fire)
8-handheld chain saw
9-hand saw
10-glow sticks
11-reflective blanket
12-syphon hose (amazon has a little bell on it no more sucking gas)
13-flint striker
14-fire starter
15-muff pot (i gotta eat)
16-skinz handgards (fits in the tunnel bag saved my *** on a few cold rides home)
17-head lamp
18-spare gloves and goggles
19-extra beacon batteries
20-first aid kit
21-avy pack shovel, probe
22-Garmin and Radio
23-aluminum water bottle (can melt snow)
and a few Busch lights for a little sunset ride recap

Rob Kincaid has a youtube video on his packs good watch for the preseason

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
I'll add a simple item that most people dont bring along in there tool kit. Hose clamps! Lots of hose clamps and a 5/16 nut driver to quickly remove/install them. You dont even need to store them in your tool kit if you dont have room. Just clamp them onto a brace or coolant hose under the hood. I carry at least a dozen clamps in different sizes. You can fix all kinds of things with them, just dont buy the real cheap ones, get the good ones that can take some good tightening.
A few examples of fixing stuff with hose clamps.... Broken A-arm, get a med-large size wrench out and use it as a splint and about 8 hose clamps later its nice and solid. Broken tie rod end, remove bolt from rod end, re-install bolt through a med size box end wrench, then clamp the rest of the wrench to the tie rod.
Have used the same method to fix rear suspension parts too. One thing that does help is wrapping the clamps with tape when your done. Keeps them from being able to move around and work loose. Eric

omernikski

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2003
Minocqua, WI/ Foxboro, WI
I just thought it might be nice to get an idea of what guys are bringing along on long trips in the backcountry. To me, the best part of sledding is going the places others wouldn't. Here's what i take with me:

1. Partner or three
2. Shovel, beacon, probe and avy 1 training
3. Walkie talkies
4. Extra warm gear (hat, warm mittens, extra base layer)
5. Water and snacks
6. Lighter
7. Cell phone
8. Custom tool/fix kit
9. Stuckmate (haven't got it yet, looks pretty handy though. Ordered last night)
9. Coors banquets

My tool kit is in a waterproof pelican-esque case 8"X11"x2. Here's what's in that:
-1/4" drive finger ratchet with 2.5" extension
-1/4 drive 8mm,10mm,12mm, p2, flat head
-8,9,10,12,14,15 17mm wrenches
-4 in one screw driver
-needle nose pliers
-slip joint pliers
-Allen wrenches
-12' of 700# webbing
-wet/dry gorilla duct tape
-two part epoxy
-5 medium zip ties
-4 HD zip ties
-one rag

What am I missing? What do you guys take?

Stuckmate
http://stuckmate.ca

What model pelican case are you using

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Pretty much same as everyone else on tools and stuff that I bring also a spot and a sat phone and extra food for a day or 2.
I spent the night out on the mountain once after digging myself out for 6 hours,
You would not believe how fn hungry a guy gets out there !!

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I'm on the same track - additional specifics that I include:
compass - the old fashioned liquid filled kind
small spool of bailing wire
needle nose vise grip (you can hold most anything in place for the ride home)

Enjoy !

A
May 31, 2013
Too have to much stuff but would rather have and not need.

on person:
beacon
truck keys
cell phone
wallet
lighter
small knife

Backpack:
shovel, probe
first aid kit
leather man
lighter, waterproof matches, flint/steel, fire cubes, and a candle in water proof box.
spare gloves, winter hat, extra face mask
Delorme SOS/txt device
head lamp and small flashlight
water,snacks

under hood:
spare belt
factory tool kit
muff pot with lunch

under hood bag:
duct and electrical tape, stays warm there
bottle of water
goggle lenses

Handle bar bag:
GPS
walkie talkie
compass and map
sled paper work, registration and insurance
winter hat
hand warmers
hand chainsaw

under seat bag this a Pro RMK:
tow strap
owners manual
hatchet
dry bag with a pair of socks and extra thermal shirt

tunnel bag:
tool kit pack using this as a guide http://shop.burandtsbackcountryadventure.com/product/spg-burandt-tool-kit-polaris
bailing wire
large, med, small zipties
hose clamps
spark plugs
this epoxy/putty that is "strong as steel"
a 6x8 tarp
emergency bivy bag
a battery recharger for phone and delorme
more gloves
sunglasses
more fire making stuff
water, food
rope and some carabiners to make a 3 to 1 pully system or use to hang tarp for shelter
another shovel
folding hand saw
fixed handle knife
small fire extinguisher
hand warm,foot warm and body warmers

thats about it... I think

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
I'm wondering if you guys take your tools out, clean and dry them after every ride? To keep them from rusting and such. Or something else?
What I do is keep all my tools wrapped up in a towel that is lightly oiled. Then I also have somewhere to lay tools if I need them out on a ride.
I'm in a non heated garage so its not like I can just take them out and open up tool kit when doing post ride inspection, greasing, etc. Could probably make time but this seems to work for me. And I only need to pull them out at end of season, or repack fully after using them for repair on a ride

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
1. Beer
2. Smokes

So I can drink and smoke ciggies while the guys who brought all the tools are working on my sled.:face-icon-small-hap

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
an extra pair of goggles, gloves,socks, two crescent wrenches, pliers, duct tape, zip ties, snobunje tow straps. rino 655t gps/radio.

that's it.

you guys way overpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F

fast8seccamaro

Oct 22, 2010
Thorsby Alberta
Mostly same as above. Biggest thing for me is the tiny fold up emergency blankets, metal cup and some of those minute made dry meals. Just add hot water and you have a meal.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I have most of the things listed above and I see one thing that is missing and was missing in my "backcountry" gear untill I and two others spent the night out last year in 70+ mph winds and snow and white out conditions at no more that 14*F near timberline 10,800+ ft. We had extra gas and everything , Matches, lighters, flint/steel, fire starter and marginal wood but some and because of the wind conditions could not get a fire. our collective thoughts singled out that me now have a pack of "Road Flares (fusezee)" Spot was the reason we were found at 02:10 next morning by relative of one of our riding group!
We are re-thinking about how to pack and carry items by priotity of use and I have picked the Seahorse case and my son has chosen Dry Bag and we are vaccum bag sealed for second layer and extra necessary to keep sealed and dry. I think this topic needs all the input that we all have from experience.
Thanks.
gtwitch in wyoming

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Also heard the 9 volt battery and steel wool trick but did not have that . Has anyone done this and will it work if haih wind environment?
gtwitch in wyoming

Premium Features