• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help! 15' Pro 800 won't run with hood connector plugged in?

B
Dec 22, 2016
So I've got a 2015 Pro with about 1100 miles on it, and I had my hood off, doing some normal maintenance and regular check overs before we head out west on Monday.

I was satisfied with the way everything looked so I put the hood on and fasten everything down, but when I went to fire it up it won't do a damn thing. Just pull and pull and pull. So I take the hood back off to check things out again, but don't see anything out of place.

So while the hood is off I pull it over and on the first pull it fires up and idles just as good as it ever has. So then I put the hood on while it is running, plug it in, and boom it dies immediately.

I checked the connector on both ends and can't find anything noticeably wrong. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Last edited:
B
Dec 19, 2012
Leduc County, AB
So I've got a 2015 Pro with about 1100 miles on it, and I had my hood off, doing some normal maintenance and regular check overs before we head out west on Monday.

I was satisfied with the way everything looked so I put the hood on and fasten everything down, but when I went to fire it up it won't do a damn thing. Just pull and pull and pull. So I take the hood back off to check things out again, but don't see anything out of place.

So while the hood is off I pull it over and on the first pull it fires up and idles just as good as it ever has. So then I put the hood on while it is running, plug it in, and boom it dies immediately.

I checked the connector on both ends and can't find anything noticeably wrong. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Check you kill switch, tether, plug wires, key, tss, ect. One of those is discconnect or poorly connected causing it to die. Likely kill switch or tether if it dies immediately.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Your key switch could be shorted, has happened before.

Once you get it to work, on the poo key switch, pull the key out halfway, turn to run, then remove key. It will stay in the run position without the key, and you'll never need to jack with the key again. Obviously, not too functional if you have e-start...

We all know all you have to do to run a poo without a key is disconnect the hood harness. Poo only had about 5 different key patterns for years, so it's not like it's very useful. Cat only has/had 2 patterns. Want more security, buy a DESS doo.

B
Dec 22, 2016
See the funny thing is, I already have my keyswitch turned to run without the key as stated above ^^^, but while I was trying to figure it out last night that completely slipped my mind. Soo when I get home from work tonight I'll probably just unplug the keyswitch and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for your help so far guys!

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
The key switch is the only thing in that plug that would keep it from running, the kill switch comes up by the steering post. You are on the right track, unplug the key switch that is most likely the problem. Bad key switch

B
Dec 22, 2016
So I unplugged the keyswitch, and it fired up just like it should. I feel pretty silly that I overlooked that before.

But thanks for your help guys, hope you all have a Merry Christmas!

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
thanks for letting everyone know what the resolution was . to many times people never tell what the fix was. it helps future users find and resolve problems.:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features