• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Battery not charging

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
Put a new battery in my sled 14 rmk 600. Started fine at the house several times. Went on a short ride fri. Went out today, 30 miles in stopped.

I thought Battery went dead cuz ehen when I hit key nothing. Runs fine with pull start.
Is there a way to check the voltage regulator, is there one for charging system and a separate one for the sleds electronics?

Probably not charging system cuz I checked battery with voltage gauge tuesday and it was 12.7 volts

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Did you check volts out of battery? If you have enough voltage, it's likely a fuse or the relay by the starter solenoid, but poo does have issues with the China solenoids, seen them go bad on sleds less than a year old. Otherwise, if low volts and it's really not charging, check voltage from the battery working backwards from the battery.

FYI, the battery charge comes from the same coil (think it's Y) that provides lights and hand warmers. If you have lights and warmers with no issues, it's doubtful it's the VR (which is also actually split, two VR's in one since 12) with a rectifier downstream to convert the lighting side AC to DC for the battery charge. Good luck, likely a simple relay, fuse, or solenoid issue.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
Found my voltage meter, checked voltage today, battery at 12.7 volts. So now I'm thinking not charging system, but starting. I see this relay (or circuit breaker). Kinda looks like it'd be part of charging system, maybe to prevent over charge? Wired from wiring harness, to relay, to solenoid on battery side.
If try to jump across the 2 large terminals on solenoid and starter turns over its the solenoid thats bad, RIGHT? and if starter doesn't turn, starter motor is bad?

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
12.7 volts is as good as you'll get with lead acid. It's not the bat or charging system. You're right, it's a circuit breaker next to the solenoid, not a relay, my bad. You can jump the sol, or just test volts out when you turn the key. But if the breaker is bad, you'll get no volts. Don't discount the switch, either. Check fuses first, if you haven't.

Premium Features