• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

polaris 700 stator ?

D
Dec 21, 2008
i have a 99 xc 700 i was out riding , 2nd time after new crank it was runnig fine and just died i checked for spark and nothing even unplugged kill switch nothing , so got towed down and checked again this morning and i got spark and fired up , i was think it is the stator got hot and quit. does anybody have any thoughts or input or should i just pull the stator and see if i can see whats going on and test it thanks

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Yup, pretty common on the older 700s... they stop working when hot and then cool off and start working again.

sled_guy

jgd

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Becker, MN
I had a similar problem on my 98 XC700; it would sputter like it was running fat. Stop and let it cool down, then it would run fine for a short while until hot again. I replaced the stator and then all was good again. Not saying for sure that this is your problem, but it sure smells like it. An easy, but not too cheap fix. Good luck

i have a 99 xc 700 i was out riding , 2nd time after new crank it was runnig fine and just died i checked for spark and nothing even unplugged kill switch nothing , so got towed down and checked again this morning and i got spark and fired up , i was think it is the stator got hot and quit. does anybody have any thoughts or input or should i just pull the stator and see if i can see whats going on and test it thanks

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
correct, yours more than likely is the Ducati stator.....$$$ and near impossible to find a good used one as ur really throwing the dice.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I have not used them, but it would be nice to get these repaired, usually its the ducati pickup that fails, and as far as I know are not available. Used is ok as long as it ran when removed and you get it cheap enough that if it goes bad in 6 months you are not upset. New runs around 250.00 ish if you can find one. if you do get it repaired please post results/price as I have 4 needing to be sent in for repair. :face-icon-small-coo

btw they seem to last around 3-4 years riding quite a bit.

K
Jan 26, 2008
CHARLEVOIX
correct, yours more than likely is the Ducati stator.....$$$ and near impossible to find a good used one as ur really throwing the dice.

I have a complete 1998xc 700 cdi,mag,and flywheel for $250.00 or the whole bottom end with around 3000 miles on it for $450.00

D
Dec 21, 2008
thanks for the offer but i think i might try the rebuild out they warranty for 1 year and are in canada like me so no duty

D
Dec 21, 2008
ok so i finally decide to swap the stator for a new kimpex unit now it wont even run right it starts but pops and farts and keeps dieing it seems like the spark is intermittent i pulled plugs and checked the spark it looks ok at first but the more i keep pulling it over i think they fire but seem to randomly miss . when i get it to run it sounds like crap ihave got the rpms up to maybe 3500 but dies suddenly is there any way to test the cdi or did i get a bad stator it ran fine before just quit one time when it was warm

D
Dec 21, 2008
so i put the old stator runs fine i didnt run it enough to to see how long before it dies so i must have got a bad stator . when a cdi is bad do they just quit or can they crap out when warm and maybe thats why it quit before any help or thoughts appreciated thanks

C
Apr 19, 2009
Swap 98 stator, and CDI for 2001 stator, and CDI

Hey all. I am building a sled based on a 98 600 liberty. I realised recently that it needs the ducati stator, and cdi. I do not have the CDI, and do not want to buy one used for $200.

Is it possible to take the stator, and CDI from the 2001, and use it on the 98 motor?

Thanks much for any help.

A
Oct 20, 2014
I could be wrong but my manual says the ignition system is totally different. 2001 used a 3d ignition system. 1997-2000 did not. I would imagine you might be able to use the CDI, but you would want to make sure you set your timing to zero degrees as a baseline using a dial indicator before you install the CDI and stator.. I would bet money your sled is anywhere from 10 degrees to 18 degrees currently. If the CDI is trying to compensate for timing and your already advanced you could run lean rather quickly and ruin some pistons.

That's just my humble opinion of what I would do if I was set on making the 2001 system work. Also, Doesn't your 1997 have like a 2 piece flywheel system? My 2001 doesn't have any way to advance or retard timing from what I can tell using the flywheel and stator like the older sleds.

Last edited:
Premium Features