• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Norseman Clutching

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I'm posting this here because I'm not sure where else to ask this question.

My good friend recently bought a 154" Norseman. He has a young wife and very young kid and hasn't been in the sledding game for a while. We tried to talk him into a more "mountain" type sled but he wanted the family mobile. It's cool. We took him on a pretty hard ride recently into some steep climbs. I've seen old long track Phazers and even a Tundra make it out of these places in the right snow conditions and given the conditions on this occasion there would be no way the Norse wouldn't be able to make it out. But it couldn't...

Because it was pulling 6500 rpm on the climb.

From what I understand these 600 Cteks are supposed to make 125 HP at 82... So at 6500 Its more around 70....

I am unfamiliar with recent Arctic clutching and gearing etc... If anyone can give us a hand on some advice for this sled it would be greatly appreciated. I cant find a damn thing on the internet about the 600 Ctec ANYTHING...

The local dealer says there is a "high elevation" kit.... according to my friend for 185 bucks but I haven't got a chance to ask what is actually IN this said kit.

Anyway while we wish he would have just bought a mountain sled and just added a bigger seat for the fam, we are going to try and make this Norseman the baddest Norseman on the mountain!

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
That's too bad that it was disappointing, I think those sleds are a really cool concept. I'm trying to get my father in law to buy one, he's on a 660 touring now and the thing flat out sucks.

Its probably clutched very conservatively, I'd get a list of what the stock components are along with the gearing and go from there, maybe compare it to what a stock m6000 comes with

Z
Jan 26, 2011

My good friend recently bought a 154" Norseman. He has a young wife and very young kid and hasn't been in the sledding game for a while. We tried to talk him into a more "mountain" type sled but he wanted the family mobile. It's cool. We took him on a pretty hard ride recently into some steep climbs. I've seen old long track Phazers and even a Tundra make it out of these places in the right snow conditions and given the conditions on this occasion there would be no way the Norse wouldn't be able to make it out. But it couldn't...

From what I understand these 600 Cteks are supposed to make 125 HP at 82... So at 6500 Its more around 70....

I am unfamiliar with recent Arctic clutching and gearing etc... If anyone can give us a hand on some advice for this sled it would be greatly appreciated. I cant find a damn thing on the internet about the 600 Ctec ANYTHING...

The local dealer says there is a "high elevation" kit.... according to my friend for 185 bucks but I haven't got a chance to ask what is actually IN this said kit.

Anyway while we wish he would have just bought a mountain sled and just added a bigger seat for the fam, we are going to try and make this Norseman the baddest Norseman on the mountain!

How many miles on sled? The first 20 minutes the sled will not pull past 6500 RPM for break in reasons.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN

It's probably still in break-in mode! ( idle time and low RPM do not count toward this break-in), most sleds come out of this mode between .8 and 1.5 hours depending on how it's been driven. Even with the sea level weights installed at 8000ft, that thing should still be turning 7500+rpm...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Just wanted to say thank you for all the replies! We ended up putting a different spring and weights in it and it made a big difference. Good sled he just needs something a little bigger now ha!

Premium Features