• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bought pro 600 with bad engine... now what

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Get me the part# off the end of the pot shaft. It's where the clutch bolt screws in. I can double check fitment tomorrow.

e2f9477f32cefa75aacb23941341c233.jpg

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Looks like the rod bearing went out, caused the piston to go out of time and detonated the crap out of it. Common problem.

It sounds like you aren't too deep in it. A Carl's 660 would be nice. Or OEM parts (pistons) brother.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Looks like the rod bearing went out, caused the piston to go out of time and detonated the crap out of it. Common problem.

It sounds like you aren't too deep in it. A Carl's 660 would be nice. Or OEM parts (pistons) brother.

Thank you for the reply. And at this point what you’ve said makes the most sense. It’s already torn down past the point I wouldnt reassemble it all to do a leak down test. So at this point I’m really just looking at my options for not necessarily the cheapest options, but the most for my money I guess. The sled is destined for use by my 3 daughters for the rest of its life. So added performance isn’t my priority. Hell, less HP might be higher on my list at this point! I really just want reliable and smooth.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Dude that 600 engine on ebay is a good deal. If you talking about replacing the crank... I say just order that used one. Seriously engine failures on these are pretty darn rare. Id be scared of everything on the engine you have. It looks like someone either didn't know what they were doing when they put it together... Or there was some fabricated verbiage to get you on the hook.

Either way... I say buy that engine off ebay. Slam it in wham BM on the snow. You still have your pile of junk to play with for spare parts. And it sounds like a good place to start a 660 build in the off time.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Dude that 600 engine on ebay is a good deal. If you talking about replacing the crank... I say just order that used one. Seriously engine failures on these are pretty darn rare. Id be scared of everything on the engine you have. It looks like someone either didn't know what they were doing when they put it together... Or there was some fabricated verbiage to get you on the hook.

Either way... I say buy that engine off ebay. Slam it in wham BM on the snow. You still have your pile of junk to play with for spare parts. And it sounds like a good place to start a 660 build in the off time.

I was told that it would need at LEAST a crank, one cylinder and a piston when I bought it. Definitely wasn’t any secrets in this deal. I figured $1200 was a good price even if I ended up buying a Indy Dan motor.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
Let me know if your interested in that crank I'm heading out tomorrow. I also have a cylinder would just need the # off yours to make sure there the same. Pm me.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Let me know if your interested in that crank I'm heading out tomorrow. I also have a cylinder would just need the # off yours to make sure there the same. Pm me.

I need to find out if that eBay motor will drop in my sled without any issues. And I think I’ll go that route of it works.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

This should work. However, I would check part number's for stator and flywheel for 2012 and 2013. I doubt there's a mounting difference for the crank sensor but you could check.

If you pick this up, buy a set of 2013 injectors and have your ECU reflashed to match injector color and year.

I could walk you through some info if you want. PM me your number.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
So I guess the motors went from a 4 injector system on the 2010-2012 600’s to a 2 injector system on the 13+ motors. So no go on the eBay one I guess.

Premium Features