• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new snow biker

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
my 2010 yz 450 is getting a moutain horse kit put on it .
i have always had motocross bikes. have a impulse nytro with a 162x 3 x 16 track timbersled skid and a skins front. love my sled handels great lots of power....board with it and need something to ride in low snow conditions..

my question is on the air intake ? my buddy has a ktm and took the air box off put a tube with a turbo style intake on .. is there somewhere i can buy that setup? he built his and i wanna get one asap.. i heard you can just take the filter off and run a outerwear's typ filter... but cant really find any info...

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
my 2010 yz 450 is getting a moutain horse kit put on it .
i have always had motocross bikes. have a impulse nytro with a 162x 3 x 16 track timbersled skid and a skins front. love my sled handels great lots of power....board with it and need something to ride in low snow conditions..

my question is on the air intake ? my buddy has a ktm and took the air box off put a tube with a turbo style intake on .. is there somewhere i can buy that setup? he built his and i wanna get one asap.. i heard you can just take the filter off and run a outerwear's typ filter... but cant really find any info...

That tube style intake would be tough on the 2010-2013 Yz450s.
What I ended up doing on my 2011 was filling the stock intakes with spray foam, cutting the excess foam for looks and then put a thin layer of silicone over it to cover any possible little holes. Then find some intake frogskins drill some holes and your set. Also use the Outerwear pre filter over your intake basket, no need for a foam filter under it because you shouldnt see any dust. I've had mine out about 8 times this year in all snow conditions and it hasn't missed a beat.

intake1.jpg intake2.jpg intake3.jpg intake4.jpg

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
DO a pod filter with a pre filter much easier and works awesome. I covered my shroud intakes with prefilter material and second ride snagged a tree on shroud and cracked air box.. Now with pod set-up i dont have to worry about shrouds/air box .. I just rode in 3-4 feet of fresh for 4 days never had an issue
Find some 2" I.D. hose like rad hose with a 45 degree bend and i had an old pod from my turbo nytro that fit perfect in air box couple hose clamps and done

photo (14).jpg photo (17).jpg photo (19).jpg

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
can we see what that looks like with the seat on and all "ride ready" do u run the air filter cover or leave it open?

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Looks all stock,, put air box together like factory except rubber boot that connects throttle body to air box and i took out back fire screen and cage..

T

torkd

Oct 9, 2013
Alberta, Canada
DO a pod filter with a pre filter much easier and works awesome. I covered my shroud intakes with prefilter material and second ride snagged a tree on shroud and cracked air box.. Now with pod set-up i dont have to worry about shrouds/air box .. I just rode in 3-4 feet of fresh for 4 days never had an issue
Find some 2" I.D. hose like rad hose with a 45 degree bend and i had an old pod from my turbo nytro that fit perfect in air box couple hose clamps and done

Well that is easier then I thought. Probably takes the same amount of time if not less after waiting for spray foam to harden up. If something happens to the set up I have now I might have to try that.

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
i dont really want to make one ! I'm burnt out on building parts !! would rather just buy one ! i ordered the covers from outerwear's for the stock air box ..ill try that ! till i find a intake tube
thanks for the advice ..

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Takes 2-3 times as long to build vents or block off intake shrouds like i first did.. Cost me maybe $30 to make pod and its half hour job.. Just my 2 cents

photo (4).jpg

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
When you ran the pod what did you do with the intake temp sensor in the stock airbox?

Kept it in same stock location...Box and panels all go back together like factory, minus the rubber intake boot, backfire screen and filter cage etc.. Install pod and reassemble air box/shrouds

Last edited:

xpx5

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2008
south dakota
I think I'm gonna bail on the mountain horse kit! To manny issues with the Yamaha hearing guys having trouble with them running with or without the air box .... I have to ride alone allot don't like being stranded ....ill sell it

I think I'm gonna bail on the mountain horse kit! To manny issues with the Yamaha hearing guys having trouble with them running with or without the air box .... I have to ride alone allot don't like being stranded ....ill sell it

Don't let everyone scare you away. I have a buddy on a 12 YZF, he has done nothing to it that is specific to winter. His bike runs great.

Go ride your bike first, then decide if you want or need to modify things.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Don't let everyone scare you away. I have a buddy on a 12 YZF, he has done nothing to it that is specific to winter. His bike runs great.

Go ride your bike first, then decide if you want or need to modify things.

I agree we have 3 YZF 450's in are group and they all work well. Just put on the prefilter and frogzskin your intake horns and ride it!!!:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features