• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

mpi stage 2 dies when hiting deep powder

N
Dec 7, 2008
Armstrong B.C
i need some help i dont no if its really my air filter sytem but seem like when i hit deep powder it dies and go's all funky and when im on packed trail it works awsome need some help and settings for a gems controller for 7000 feet thanks:D

Robbie

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
mpi

It sounds like an exhaust restriction.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Where does your exhaust exit? What are your settings? PM me and I may be able to help.

N
Dec 7, 2008
Armstrong B.C
i just made it a tunnel dump but it did it befor i did the tunnel dump im not to sure i have had it working good befor and i did the head shim in it an now it just aint working properly any ideas (timing ) problems !! maybe but it runs so good down below im not sure if it would be that it kinda seems like a air filter problem but i dont no for sure

O

obile

Jan 17, 2003
walla walla wa
i would say its an intake problem. mpi apex for me would do the same in deep pow with under tunnel exhaust. made a snorkel to get the filter up and out from under the hood and solved all my problems. had to add weight to the primary to keep it off the rev limiter and it runs a lot crisper now.all the hood vents plugged with snow and no fresh air getting to the super its gonna get real fat real quick.plus the air it does get is hot underhood air hotter than normal cause the powder is blocking all airflow.....

T

Tuco

Dec 12, 2007
i would say its an intake problem. mpi apex for me would do the same in deep pow with under tunnel exhaust. made a snorkel to get the filter up and out from under the hood and solved all my problems. had to add weight to the primary to keep it off the rev limiter and it runs a lot crisper now.all the hood vents plugged with snow and no fresh air getting to the super its gonna get real fat real quick.plus the air it does get is hot underhood air hotter than normal cause the powder is blocking all airflow.....

x2 same deal with my apex. Try it out.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
We tried tunnel dumps with no luck last year. I had good luck with rear exit. You can do a side dump as well, but when that powder starts flowin, your air stops.

S
Dec 9, 2008
has any one had this problem befor im not sure what it could be it did it befor i changed the exhaust so im not sure it thats the problem

I agree with racinstation, we have tested tunnel ex with the same issue's in deep powder. We use rear exit ex, thanks Skyler

Last edited:
N
Dec 7, 2008
Armstrong B.C
i take the hood off and it works good i really think it is a air problem well i no its a air problem any ideas on a new air filter location its sucking in steem i think the small clear lines have moisture in them any one have ideas its not the exhaust it has lots of room under the tunnel in the back even in deep powder the exhaust can come back threw the stock hole has lost of room to breath any ideas thanks:D

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
I would say the air intake is a huge issue, the filter is small and couple that with the heat from the motor and the heat from the charger a little bit of steam from the snow and it's a perfect recipe for a poor running sled.

N
Dec 7, 2008
Armstrong B.C
yeah i really think it is the problem more the steem im thinking cuz when its steeming and i go to hit the throtle i can watch the steem go back under the hood i really think its the problem any one moved the air filter on there nytro ??

N
Dec 7, 2008
Armstrong B.C
i am moving the air intake out from under the intercooler and im pretty sure it will fix all problems other then that mpi superchagers work well every thing just takes tinkering. Im wondering if i used a big rad house with a filter on it would it suck enough to colaps the hose at 17 PSI

S
Nov 30, 2007
Meridian, Idaho
If it is the intake would steam cause it to show lean on his AF gauge? Have you verified that it is infact lean by turning your green way up to cure the lean condition temporarily? An AF gauge will often show lean if it is extremely rich.

S
Dec 9, 2008
All of our sleds have rear exit ex with the same intake you are running with no problems what so ever. We have tried under tunnel ex and ran into the same problems you are seeing. If you have any questions please call me here at the shop,we are in the middle of makin a new intake that relocates the intake on the stage 2 kits to just above the clutch, if you have any questions please call me 1-888-649-4609, Thanks Skyler

Last edited:
Premium Features