• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TMotion delete

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I agree what Matte said about Tom's. I have run that set up for years and it blows me away how much the track pivots. Maybe it's because it eliminates the torsion springs but regardless if you grab my rear bumper on either of my 850's when the sled is on flat concrete the bumper can rotate quite a bit with zero track movement. I have a hard time believing this doesn't make a sled more squirrely. However, if you have a very high skill level this can be preferred.
For example, I used to Wakeboard professionally and rode with no fins. I never taught people to ride with no fins. Most people will never make it to that skill level. Unfortunately novice riders always want to imitate pro level set ups.
That being said, I think you can do anything with the T motion. It doesn't "need" to be deleted to get an 850 to do anything. You just aren't that good of a rider if you have to delete it to "get" the sled to do anything. This is why I think an Axys is an easier sled to ride because it's much more predictable to ride. I still prefer riding a Ski Doo with T motion with the E motion set up. I just think the guys on this forum that spout you "need" to delete it aren't very good riders. Then again I have yet to meet someone off this forum that I would consider an expert rider :face-icon-small-con
Agree with Matt also, my Tom's set on a 174 flopped side to side so badly just when rolling the sled on it's side to adjust something, it was silly. Unless T-Motion is locked out, it needs the springs to stabilize and center the skid. It was so bad that I had a hard time adjusting the track on the trail. We had to get ALL the snow out of it, make sure the skis were level, then hold the rear bumper to check adjustment.
T-Motion should be an option from Skidoo,they have already made all the parts to replace it other than on a 174/175.

W

WestCoast

Jan 1, 2014
North Cascades
So, I've been considering using Toms Evo setup on my 18 165 850 3". This is the first time I've heard something that could be considered critical of Toms setup. I've tried to call him a few times and haven't heard back yet.

It makes sense to me that the T motion without the torsion springs would be super tippy and possibly squirrelly, yet everyone who raves about this setup never mentions it. In fact, they talk about how it makes the sled more predictable and minimizes transfer. So, are these guys also running tmotion delete?

I am in no way considered an expert rider. I'm just a hack who is trying to buy some talent. I'm torn between getting Toms Evolution skid or just purchasing some Fox's valved from Toms. It would be nice if he would call me back so I wouldn't have to ask for random opinions on the internet…

So, are those of you who love Tom's skid also running Tmotion delete?
Is it worth it for an average rider to buy his skid, or is this like wake boarding without fins? (experts only)
Also, I do value random opinions on the internet verses that of the guy who is trying to sell me something…

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
So, I've been considering using Toms Evo setup on my 18 165 850 3". This is the first time I've heard something that could be considered critical of Toms setup. I've tried to call him a few times and haven't heard back yet.

It makes sense to me that the T motion without the torsion springs would be super tippy and possibly squirrelly, yet everyone who raves about this setup never mentions it. In fact, they talk about how it makes the sled more predictable and minimizes transfer. So, are these guys also running tmotion delete?

I am in no way considered an expert rider. I'm just a hack who is trying to buy some talent. I'm torn between getting Toms Evolution skid or just purchasing some Fox's valved from Toms. It would be nice if he would call me back so I wouldn't have to ask for random opinions on the internet…

So, are those of you who love Tom's skid also running Tmotion delete?
Is it worth it for an average rider to buy his skid, or is this like wake boarding without fins? (experts only)
Also, I do value random opinions on the internet verses that of the guy who is trying to sell me something…

Work for Tom - just mentioning that out of pure transparency.

First things first, the product is 100% not for experts only. There are a variety of reasons I say this. To start, the system is incredibly adjustable. If you want something compliant and easy-going, you can set it up like this. If you want something to compliment a more aggressive style, this too is easy to do.

Second, as far as the E-Motion goes, it *is* different than T-Motion. Both in how it works and how it feels. Its not night and day different from T-Motion, so keep that in mind. I'd wager most people can't tell the difference outside of how it holds an edge. I'm not going to be a self proclaimed pro or anything but I can handle myself on a sled with any caliber of rider. I've run it locked and unlocked. Was I a mess unlocked in technical terrain? No. But I do prefer locking it out with two brass washers I picked up from the hardware store (I know Tom has his one variant to snug things up). There is still a tiny bit of flex (just like locking out T-Motion) when you do this, but it is pretty solid this way.

Third, yes, the system will get you on the snow faster, help prevent bottoming, keep the ride playful and ultimately keep you from getting fatigued. I went to him this December as a customer, looking for something to tame my boosted G4. He has done that and more, giving me the tools to set my sled up a lot more to my liking - in a way that was literally impossible with the stock parts.

Finally, I know Tom has been busy in the snow they *finally* got in Tahoe. He'll be on the phones today (I believe). Feel free to call me if you have any questions too. 9702190258 - I can answer most anything!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I by no means meant Tom's is for experts. And it definitely makes the sled less twitchy and more stable comparable to stock. I was just taking a jab at the guys who said T motion needs to be locked out.

onedoubles

Lifetime Membership
Jan 25, 2018
After reading this thread I took the plunge and purchased the Tom's Shocks setup for my 2018 Summit 850 154.

It's pretty damn cool.

I'm a beginner to intermediate rider. I wanted the same playful sled, with the hope of better hold sidehilling.

Results?

I took it out for two big rides this weekend, about 80 miles total. Huge difference on trails and bumps. Way more plush. In powder? Great. I made some tweaks to shock pressure and limiter strap after first day and it really felt good on the second day. Did not feel really tippy like some people mentioned. Felt solid.

Am I happy I did it? Yes. Would a more expert rider have the same opinion? Dunno. But I'm glad I took the plunge and thanks to JJ for the help.

Pic below.

6c503c6d348f3d92a1a35a2e090bbd21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features