• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can a 550 fanner be made reliable ?

S
Feb 6, 2017
SE Idaho
I have read up on them a bit.

Something about a air duct reroute or something, and the oil tank breather problem.

Are there other things common to the 550 that need to be looked after to sort out any known issues with them ?

I do see a few that have had some issues, but want to know if things are cared for, will it be as reliable as the older 488 was ?

Any replys or links to another topic page greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
When I had one, I wrapped the air intake duct with heat reflective tape. And wrapped the muffler with fiber/ceramic muffler wrap. I added air intake vents in the shock towers, and hot air exhaust vents above footwells and rear edges of side panels. I also swapped the carb jets out to the approximate coldest temps I would be riding in (-20/-30), too keep it from ever running lean. If its a little rich in warmer temps, at worse you'll foul plugs.
Oh yea added air intake vents to dash for more air into air box.

Seemed best to idle for several minutes before shutting off when the liquid cools hit the key as soon as they stop. If a liquid idles at stop temps rise, but a fanner will cool down some at idle.

(My liquids I restart about 3 times to circulate the cool fluid up to cylinders to keep from "hot spotting" the engine, temp at 125, off for a minute and a half, restart temp is like 155 drops to 120, another minute off restart temp around 135 gets it down to 115. )

Was around 6500 miles when I sold it.

It's nice having a fanner in the group, fan exhaust is GREAT for drying goggles, or warming hands, warm air into kids gloves or anyone with cold fingers.

Last edited:

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
There was like 1 or 2 years where they had issues, otherwise they have been pretty bullet proof from my experience. The local rental fleet had 60 of the Edge RMKs with the 550 in it back in the mid 2000s (2004 maybe) and they never had an issue with them.

sled_guy

Premium Features