• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gopro Resolution?

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
I just picked up a hero 2 and was wondering what resolution you guys are recording in or what you recommend? I'm not looking to make any crazy awesome movies like a lot of guys do so it doesn't have to be perfect quality but would like good quality. I have a class 10 32gb SD card so storage space shouldn't be an issue. I was also wondering if anyone thinks I should get the battery bacpac or just an extra battery to have more recording time since I have the storage? I am new to the cameras so any other helpful info you would like to share with me about the gopros would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
720p/30fps and up is good enough, the high res and more frame rate requires a faster bigger computer to actually playback and edit it, ive got a sweet two yr old imac and it wont play 1080/60 very well (choppy video), but it will playback 1080/30 perfect

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I like to use the highest resolution. You can lower it during processing in most programs but you can't increase it.

I don't like 960p simply because I prefer the widescreen look.

D
Mar 29, 2010
The setting you choose depends on the shot. I prefer the 960 for extreme close-ups, and the 720 for everything else. One issue with mixing up reso's is that some of the basic editors will squash or stretch the image.

L

Lushbomb

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
www.oneshotproduction.net
I use 960p. The videos looks better than 1080p I think. I bought extra batteries for mine.

you must still have an old CRT type TV too.. thats crazy talk.. i kid... :face-icon-small-hap

720 all day! if you are not making movies for the big screen than 720 is perfect, looks great, is still HD and is easier on your computer.. 1080 is a drastic jump in computer performance needs.. if you just want to share on the internet 720 720 720.... oh yeah.. 720... :face-icon-small-coo

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
you must still have an old CRT type TV too.. thats crazy talk.. i kid... :face-icon-small-hap

720 all day! if you are not making movies for the big screen than 720 is perfect, looks great, is still HD and is easier on your computer.. 1080 is a drastic jump in computer performance needs.. if you just want to share on the internet 720 720 720.... oh yeah.. 720... :face-icon-small-coo

another vote for 720 at 60fps. screw the wide angle fish eye look

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
960 is the old 4:3 ratio
1080 and 720 is the 16:9 ratio
When you try to mix the 2 some editing programs can't handle it and stretch or squeez the image to fit the chosen aspect ratio.

Also on the fish eye,
My manual says that for the Hero 2 720 is 170* field of view. In 1080 you can choose between 170* or 127*

Last edited:
W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
Always roll with a class 10 SD card as well. Made to capture the fast action shots, best to shoot with.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
How do you know if it is class 10? Been looking on eBay for cards for my new camera. Also what program should I look to use on the computer?

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
How do you know if it is class 10? Been looking on eBay for cards for my new camera. Also what program should I look to use on the computer?

like dizzle said it'll be a little 10 wrapped in a circle on the front of the card.

For the editing software depends on what type of computer set up you have, along with how familiar/skilled you are with any type of editing software. The more expensive the set up the more complicated. If your looking to just throw clips together with smooth transitions, and a little bit of music in the background use your standard set up on your computer. Windows movie maker for PC and Imovie for MAC. Hope this helps :thumb:

natedawgedog

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2011
dlg ak

be careful buying cards on ebay, there are plenty of reports that sellers on ebay put stickers for better cards on the crappy ones and unless you know what to look for you will be screwed out of the money just because you wanted to save a buck. go with a reputable seller that cant afford bad publicity...

D
Mar 29, 2010
I've bought a lot of sd cards, and 1 in 4 tend to crap out right away. Buying from a local retailer is a good idea, even if you have to pay a few more bucks. I've had the worst luck with dane-elec cards, and my oldest working card is a duracell. Some class 10 cards come in different speeds and are rated with a "200x" or "100x" etc.

imovie and movie maker are good editors to learn with but are painfully slow compared to sony vegas, and the pro editors final cut and premiere pro.

with movie maker you will need to convert to avi - use mpeg streamclip to process raw footage into usable short clips, and convert to avi with this free awesome program. get it here - http://www.squared5.com/ I also like to use mpeg streamclip for framegrabs - pretty handy for pulling a pic off of footage at a key moment.

everything you need to know is on the gopro website and google. have fun, and use lots of different angles. nothing more painful then watching a 7 minute vid shot from only the helmet mount.

I use the bike mount on my shovel handle, and either stick the shovel in the snow like a tripod, and/or rig the shovel in my pack for a scorpian type mount, in addition to bumper/tunnel/helmet mounts.

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
have fun, and use lots of different angles. nothing more painful then watching a 7 minute vid shot from only the helmet mount.

I use the bike mount on my shovel handle, and either stick the shovel in the snow like a tripod, and/or rig the shovel in my pack for a scorpian type mount, in addition to bumper/tunnel/helmet mounts.

Like wise, Nothing better then being able to run to walmart, or scheels quick and pick up another pack of flat and curved adheisive mounts to slap on for a new angle haha. The more angles the better IMO makes for a more attention grabbing, and keeping video.

L

Lushbomb

Moderator: Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
PAC NW
www.oneshotproduction.net

resolution has nothing to do with lense angle..

1st and 2nd gen GoPro's you are stuck with 170 wide angle at 720x1280 resolution.. all these little sport cams feature wide angle lenses to best capture your surroundings with out a monitor to view.. that's why these cams are so easy to use and hard to miss the shots because u have the wide angle lens. just sucks trying to film anything that is more than 10 ft away..

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO

resolution has nothing to do with lense angle..

1st and 2nd gen GoPro's you are stuck with 170 wide angle at 720x1280 resolution.. all these little sport cams feature wide angle lenses to best capture your surroundings with out a monitor to view.. that's why these cams are so easy to use and hard to miss the shots because u have the wide angle lens. just sucks trying to film anything that is more than 10 ft away..

Actually the Hero 2 has the option in 1080 of 170* or 127* field of view.

M

mtn.missle

Nov 11, 2012
Boise
no 960?

So l went with the pro tip on my hero2 of running 960-48 for helmet mount, l assume running in 720 will save space on my card and be easier to edit?

griffin86

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2008

I ended up switching to 720. Much easier editing in final cut pro 10. I pulled this off of some video.

536133_10152409319320301_2125362228_n.jpg

Premium Features