• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

can my truck bed rails hold a sled bed ok?

S

shmuckaluck

Aug 20, 2001
Federal Way, Washington
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anybody has had any problems with laying a sled bed right on top of your truck bed rails with out the fame support in the bed? Im sure they would be strong enough but thought I would ask people.

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I wouldn't do it, saw a truck that way a few years ago and he hit a small bump and totally screwed up the rails and bed of his truck, not mention the deck about came off. Depending on the deck and sleds but you would have close to 1600 - 2000 lbs on the rails and they are not meant for that kind of weight.

doodah

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Fremont Wisconsin
I wouldnt do it, even if you did bolt it down to your rails there is no lateral stability, your relying on your bed sides to hold that deck and two sleds in place. Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

J

jwentzer

Mar 16, 2010
Colorado
Heck No!!

I wouldn't!!! Sure you might get lucky and it last few years, but for as thin as the sheet metal is that they use now days, I would not trust it. Bump in the road, or better yet something we've all down, spin out on ice and go into the ditch side ways. That alone would cave you bed rails with that amount of weight on it.

One thing I've always wanted to try: I have a fifth wheel camper I pull in the summer. There are two horizontal braces that run paralled to each other on my bed. They are hooked to the frame, I would like to build a bracket/ frame for a sled bed that mounts into these. I think it would work, with a little engineering.

S

shmuckaluck

Aug 20, 2001
Federal Way, Washington
Hey guys,
Ya thats kinda what I was thinking. I kept picturing my self driving down the road and going around a corner and watching my bed rails folding over from the weight. Just having some trailer troubles and getting desperate with finding ways to get my sleds up to the mountains for the new years weekend. If I didn't sell every good trailer I have, for something else I want, I wouldn't be having these head aches.

smoking_powerstroke

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2007
North Dakota
Marathon sled decks switched to using this kind of deck and it makes no sense to me. I would NOT trust having that much weight on the bed rails. Like jwentzer said the sheet metal is too thin.

F
Nov 26, 2007
The ouside skins on my truck are plastic,I cant see just the inside of the box walls being tough enough.:face-icon-small-sho

T

thinksnow

Nov 26, 2007
DICKINSON, ND
I have seen many truck beds crack just from the weight of a toolbox being mounted on the rails in the front of the bed. Not something I would ever consider. It's not that hard to put some bracing down and accross the inside of the bed. It could even be a bolt on bracing. Having the piece of mind would be worth the little added cost and weight.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
i think that kind of weight is like a person standing on a pop can... It can be done but lean to one side or put at dent in the box and it shall collapse.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
drive a ford.. they are built nice..

IMO it really depends on what kinda sleds your throwin on it and how you build the deck... 2 stock apex's or two xps/pro's etc.. you could go from just over 1000# total to close to 2k in a hurry with how the deck is built and what your slappin on the sucker.

I have no problem with the idea, I see guys driving around EVERY day with huge ladder racks on there trucks that I know weight more then a light deck and 2 sleds... just saying, think of what other people put on them. just because the stuff on ladder racks is not sleds, it doesnt seem heavy, but start stacking boards/pipes on there.. she adds up fast.

it is pretty easy to throw some bracing down thought..

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
seen it done for many miles on almost identical truck... and bigger sleds... Turnbuckle it into the bed well..

if you are really worried thought, I think it took me like 2 hours and $50 to add the legs under my deck, so not really a large investment for the peice of mind.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Had two years on mine with turnbuckles and noticed cracks in the bed (2003 GMC dually) added legs last year.

C
Nov 23, 2009
Kelowna BC Canada
had a steel deck on my 94 f-150 for 2 years. NEVER a problem. It's all in the build of the deck and the truck it's bolted to. With that said, I sold it to get an aluminum one that fit's in the box, easier to take-off and I wanted slide outs.

Here is my old one fitted to the bed rails....

deck.jpg

F

Flange

Oct 25, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
For years now, we've been holding down our decks with turnbuckles which are fastened to the box rails. So why wouldn't the rails be strong enough to support a deck?

Premium Features