• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Downsizing - Sled loading in truck bed

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
Sold my enclosed 2 place this year and decided to just load the sled in the bed of my pick-up. Here are some pics of what I've come up with. Thanks to others on SW that shared their solutions and gave me lots of ideas.

Opted for a Techramp 8ft aluminum ramp.
DSC00025.jpg

Note the 'Ramp Rack' on the right side of the bed.
DSC00026.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

Platform in the bed folds up so tailgate can close.
DSC00030.jpg

All closed up ...
DSC00031.jpg

I

ItDoAble

Aug 30, 2006
Loveland, CO
looks good, you could have raised it up to allow the ramp to slide under the platform

Thought of that, which would have worked good also.

The ramp is 4" thick and 2 ft wide folded up, so the platform would have needed 2x6s with no structual brace up the middle where most of the sled weight rests. The middle ramp 'tabs' would then need to rest on unsupported plywood (instead of the tailgate) and I was afraid with no bracing it might warp or fail eventually. The ramp would also have a slightly steeper incline since the front would be 6" higher than it is now (2x6 + 3/4" plywood), and the tabs would likely get stuck under the track.

Last edited:
A

ayup

Jan 9, 2008
Squamish, BC
Just browsing the forum and saw this post - nice job. I built a similar deck for my Titan this winter to cover the spray-in bedliner. 6ft tri-fold ramp slides underneath and there's also room for a pair of skis and a snowboard on the other side of the dividing support. I can lock it all up when the truck's parked outside the pub and fold up the tailgate when the sled's at home. I cut up an old bedliner for the deck/ sled skis and track, and used 4 turnbuckles to keep the deck in place.

I like the idea of installing a superclamp, might add that for next season.

Premium Features