• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Contour Roam2 Quality

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Hey,
I was just checking to see if anyone has any experience with the roam2. I'm considering an upgrade to my older contour and am curious how the roam2 is stacking up. I feel like the gopro's give better video quality then my older contour (i forget which model but I record in 720p @60fps) and I want to know if the contour roam2 is the same deal or if they have improved much. I like the style of the contours as well as the easy on off record functions, but I could sacrifice the sleeker look for a gopro if it's worth it. I'm not into spending 400 on a camera so the new hero 3 black is not an option, maybe the silver or a hero 2 hd if i can find one. Let me know your experiences.

Thanks

adairtd1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 23, 2011
La Grande, Oregon
I got the Roam2 this year, and so far I really like it. I do not have any experiences with any other cameras before this though.

Here are some videos I made with mine so far this season. Some are 1080p and the newer ones are 720p/60fps -

1080p -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBCEmdgXCN4

720p/60fps -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jffgCyhAqb0

Seems to me to be a pretty good camera for what it cost. I have mine mounted to the side of my helmet with the included right side helmet mount. I am going to try and find a place to put the flat surface mount on my sled, but I have not gotten around to doing that yet. Both mounts were included with the camera.

Hope that helps.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Does anyone have any experience with both that can comment on how they compare?

W

wag13

Jun 22, 2008
Spearfish,SD
I have owned 3 drifts, the original Contour, and both Hero 2 and 3. I would say just spend the $200-250 and get either the Hero 2 or silver edition hero 3. I say this because at this point in time GoPro is the only helmet cam that is sold in retail stores. So you can go to your local cabelas, Scheels, Walmart and not only get the camera but just about every accessory they offer there too. I also favor the Drift or GoPro because with these cameras you can view what the camera sees right off the bat, without having to take a vid, put the SD card in your computer and line up the shot, it's just easier. Also I think the GoPro and Drift shoot better in high and low light situations. Not to mention when you are riding with gloves on both of these cameras are easier to stop/start recording, and they make a pretty good beeping noise so that you know it is either recording or you have stopped recording. The decision is yours of course, but if you are going to make a $200+ investment into a camera, might as well go for the best, you won't regret doing it.

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
Thats the way I'm leaning but I have not seen a hero 2 or 3 silver for 200-250, care to share where you are finding those?

The gopro's always seem to have better video quality from what I have seen, with the contours being a close second.

Thanks

Quinlan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
ND
Not to mention when you are riding with gloves on both of these cameras are easier to stop/start recording, and they make a pretty good beeping noise so that you know it is either recording or you have stopped recording.
The Contour Roam/Roam2 camera is quite possibly the easiest to operate, IMO. Contour eliminated the "power button" that they had on the older models. The Roam is as simple as slide on/slide off for power and recording. As long as you know where your camera is, you can start/stop recording with the biggest of mitts in the darkest of nights.

Just my two-cents though.

I do feel the GoPro shoots a slightly better quality video, but at a higher price. FWIW, I'm using the original Roam and have no complaints...

Premium Features