• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016/17 AXYS MTNTK TURBO

chrisco

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2008
Stony Plain Alberta
Hi everyone its that time again i just want to let everyone know in Canada what Parkland Motorsports will have this year and how it worked last year.

2016/17 AXYS MTNTK TURBO

I road with a lot of people last season and they had the chance to see and ride the sled.

The turbo kit was flawless all last season, the water to air system kept the charge temps down as well as engine temps in the spring.

If you have any questions call me 780-217-9141.
I will try to keep checking the site to respond.

logo.png

attachment.php

Introducing the all new turbocharger kit from MTNTK Performance for the Polaris Axys Platform. While our competitors are always trying to lower the quality of their kits to boost profits, we hit the accelerator pedal to blast past the competition and make the most capable kit on the market today, at the absolute best value.

Feature for feature you will not find more value or more performance capability elsewhere.

Check out these performance features that come STANDARD on our kit:

TURBO:
Borg Warner 6258 EFR Turbocharger – This turbocharger is the first built by Borg Warner that did not first start as an OEM auto application.

Designed to be the best turbo on the market, and debuted at INDY Car Racing it does not fail to impress.

Investment Cast Stainless Steel Turbine housing is smooth for high flow with a high flow angled waste gate for low disturbance and better control. Also no rust makes it a work of art.

The center section of the turbo is water cooled with double row ceramic ball bearings. Ceramic balls are more concentric and extremely light for less vibration and faster acceleration. Forged and fully milled compressor wheel is lighter and has more surface area than a cast wheel giving more flow and thus more power in a smaller package.

Also included in this turbo is a built in compressor recirculation valve (Blow Off Valve) that keeps the turbo spinning when you are really on and off the throttle so boost returns immediately when you need it. The final and most impressive part of this turbo is the titanium aluminide turbine wheel. This is the lightest substance that a turbine wheel can be made of. Only extremely high performance turbos share this exotic material which allows the turbo to extract more energy from each exhaust pulse and accelerate to boost much faster that a similar turbo with a Inconel wheel.

EXHAUST:
We followed suit and built all the exhaust tubing and muffler out of Stainless Steel to keep your shine on.

Water to Air Intercooler:
This year we are introducing our all new water to air intercooler.

We use a proprietary design of cooler core that is more flexible in design and allows higher air flows in a given area. This allows us to cool the charge air without compromising the design and makes our product fit better in the chassis than previous designs.

Cooling the air allows long pulls and higher boost possible without power falling off and it suppresses detonation for more consistent high power performance.

New structural bonding techniques borrowed from aerospace and even the Polaris chassis design allowed us to make this charge air cooler affordable and a standard on even the pump gas kit.

Snow U-Cooler:

High water temperatures kill performance and can compromise the reliability of the engine.

With high lug 3” plus tracks we have found the stock Polaris cooling severely lacking.

We decided to solve problems instead of stacking problems by offering a full tunnel length snow cooler that is plumbed in series with the stock cooler to effectively double the cooling capacity of the sled. This eliminates the overheat problem while also providing the chilled water for the charge air cooler.

By using a system in series we were able to combine and simplify components. Fixing the overheat problem, providing super cold water to the charge air cooler, and eliminating the need for a separate cooling pump and cooling system for charge air cooling all became one solution with this standard feature. We made a custom extrusion (read in "not cheap" here!) with internal and external fins for increased surface area to maximize the cooling potential.

Relocated Fuel Injectors:

We have been working with the semi-direct injection fuel strategy for many years and have a thorough understanding of its limitations and benefits.

While beneficial at reducing fuel emissions at certain engine RPM’s it is not the best strategy for making power in a two stroke. When turbocharging we must add 200-300% more fuel at peak to build the mega horsepower boost allows, and the narrow port passage and overall lack of available combustion air that the injector sprays into does not allow fuel to mix with the air properly for adequate power.

We moved the injectors in front of the throttle plate which allows all the fuel to pass through the crankcase. This gives the fuel more time to mix with the air, improves transient throttle tuning, and provides vital lower end rod bearing cooling. More power and better life from the engine.

Bully Dog Gauge Tuner:
This is our 3rd Season working with the Bully Dog GT for our fueling requirements and it has been a revelation for turbocharging.

Accurate fueling with stock like mannerisms and ease of tuning make this the only way to go.
No adjustments required from you to make it run right.

Just download the custom tune we provide and then pull the rope and ride.

It adjusts automatically for altitude, boost pressure, and temperature.

We are even able to adjust the timing and adjust the oil pump to make the most power reliably for the boost level you run. This absolutely changes the way you ride a modified sled.

No messing around with fueling numbers and definitely no expertise required in the tuning department to get it to run superb.

We offer free upgrade tunes for life. If we ever have something that works well we want you running it. The GT is also able to be updated via sending a file through email. No sending your ECU to us. You can return it to stock in just a few minutes.

The GT also is capable of Data Logging, Reading and Erasing engine codes, and can display information about your engine for precise clutching and diagnostic work.

Patent Pending Turbo Lubrication System:

Designed and perfected in house we have pioneered the use of the factory oil pump to lubricate the turbocharger.

Our competitors are trying every method they can, including copying our design to make their kit as trouble and maintenance free as ours. No electric oil pump to add, no oil reservoir to check for oil, no changing the turbo oil when it is deteriorated.

We improve the oiling to the engine by providing misted oil to the engine after it lubricates the turbocharger.

Fresh clean oil is always being supplied to the turbo, which translates into long life for the bearings (we have never failed a turbo yet on this exceptional system!).

Just put oil in your engine oil tank, fill your fuel tank with fuel and your riding! You will experience less worry, less problems, and more riding with this system.

Borg Warner EFR turbocharger - Look it up - it's the best on the market!
Water to Air - Intercooler: Standard
High Flow Injectors Included. Relocated mounting for improved lower rod bearing cooling.
Bully Dog GT Standard - No sending your ECU to us for updates
MTNTK Snow U-Cooler Standard - No engine cooling problems even with 3" tracks
Patent Pending Lubrication System
Cold Air Intake adapter To allow stock air intake
Additional air intake vents recommended for deep powder riding and higher boost. We can recommend venting to suit your style.

>Fit, Finish and Weld Quality that is second to none.

>Minimal cutting and modifying for ease of installation and ease of maintenance. No compromising of the chassis for exhaust, or cooling.

>Belt drive, Chain Case, and Electric Start compatible.

>Exceptional Customer Service. We answer the phone. We answer Emails. We even have been known to help people fix the other guys stuff so they can ride.

OPTIONS:
>Two muffler options available – Standard Deep Tone Muffler or Race Muffler
>Boost Gauge Kit available
>High Boost Kit options available – call for recommendations
>Upgrade clutching kits available – Call for recommendations

Axys Turbo Kit.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisco

Premium Member
Oct 22, 2008
Stony Plain Alberta
<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/grCcNDgpmlY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/grCcNDgpmlY

<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Fh7KQYuwLPw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/Fh7KQYuwLPw

<iframe width="900" height="506" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HmEsYS_DsAY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://youtu.be/HmEsYS_DsAY

Last edited by a moderator:

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Your 2016 Axys in the videos, is that the standard or race muffler?

Justified

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
I just have a few questions on how you can adjust boost. If you change boost do you need to get a reflash?

Last edited:
P
Mar 17, 2012
MTN Tk turbo

Hey guys I ran a 2016 Axys last year with the MTN Tk and I was so impress I bought another one this year for my 2017. It was a fantastic kit. I ran it at 7-8lbs at the first of the season then 9-10 lbs on 74 grams the remainder of the season. All I did was put the 74 grams in then on the hill turned up the boost till I hit 8500rpm . It was easy . It ran awesome. Ive been very impress with MTN Tk's service also. My sled ran cooler than the stock sleds with the extra tunnel cooler and no one has anything that compares. It takes the worries out of spring riding

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Has an EBC system been considered at all with this system?
With such a light rotating assembly, fast BOV control, and smooth flow-path of the wastegate bypass...
it would seem to gain a lot of dimensionality" and interactive abilities with fueling system to keep it "spot on" for widely varying conditions.

How much variation in elevation can the one spring accommodate on the wastegate and what kind of variation in MAP can be expected
with this mechanical boost controller?

Don't get me wrong...I think the spring setup is a very elegant and reliable way to control boost.... Just trying to understand it more.

Last edited:

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Has an EBC system been considered at all with this system?
With such a light rotating assembly, fast BOV control, and smooth flow-path of the wastegate bypass...
it would seem to gain a lot of dimensionality" and interactive abilities with fueling system to keep it "spot on" for widely varying conditions.

How much variation in elevation can the one spring accommodate on the wastegate and what kind of variation in MAP can be expected
with this mechanical boost controller?

Don't get me wrong...I think the spring setup is a very elegant and reliable way to control boost.... Just trying to understand it more.

The Borg Warner turbo takes care of this, without any electronic. It builds more pressure as you increase in altitude. Don't ask me how it does it, but CPC sells a bolt on kit for others, that does the same job.

I been told it has something do do with the increase in exhaust pressure, that forces the wastegate to open more. How much of that is accurate i dont know.

Here is a link to the CPC kit, maybe you will understand better.
https://cpcracing.com/arctic-cat/cpc/Turbo-Accessories/CP-Altitude

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I am pretty familiar with the EFR turbos... They are very cutting edge.

I believe BW configures all of the EFR's with wastegate diaphragm-actuators and a PWM activated 'switch' to control it. (1st photo below).
Although some of their literature and vids say they can be purchased without wastegate.

MTNTK removes those items and repaces it with a simple spring to regulate the boost based on exhaust pressure levels...(2nd photo of tdbaugha) it is pretty effective and a simple solution to keep things less complex.... but does not feed back to fueling control.

I've heard great things about these kits, and I'm impressed with them... and my question is more related to "evolution" of the kit and flexibility in varying conditions without rider input.. than the fact that it runs well the way it is.

efr_6258_turbo.JPG

14344943_10210260213524404_6267354225258159662_n.jpg

Last edited:

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Sorry. Misunderstood your previous post. Thanks for the info on the BW turbos.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
TD...

Sincere questions that I'm hoping you can help with... you seem to have a good connection with
MTNTK, so I hope you can help answer.

Would you know why the MTNTK is pulling boost ref for the Recirc-BOV off the BACK-side of the
throttle-body (into the reed cage)... rather than case.

Seems that with the reference drawn off the backside of the TB's it would not accurately read spikes in
charge pressure when the throttle is chopped? Seems that it would be getting an
"inaccurate" signal from that location?

Would the CRV 'see' vacuum more often than intended by drawing reference from the
back-side location?

In your vid... I hear a lot of flutter when pulling off the throttle, seems to go counter to BW's
intended characteristics for this turbo.

Do you need to increase spring pressure?

My understanding is that compressor "flutter" or "surge" acts to slow the compressor, which
would seem to me to counter productive to the CRV's intent??

Again, I want to make sure this is read as a sincere inquiry... and not a roundabout criticism
of your sled/install or MTNTK's commitment to quality.

<iframe width="400" height="225" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ScqT0jj9ZnA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

picture.php

Last edited:
I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
If you take bov signal line pre-TB, you're not going to see vacuum to open the bov, assuming I'm understanding your question correctly.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Also, wondering if the EFR's direct path recirc right into the inducer will make flutter/chatter noises, but not be actual surge??

If it is actual surge... then you prob need to increase the spring force on the CRV, correct?

Or is that the nature of the turbo after removing the wastegate servo that comes with the EFR and replacing with the spring?

Curios to see how the wastegate response time difference is with the spring compared to a typical servo and controller setup/EBC?

Last edited:

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
BOV reference lines need to be post TB to function.

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/technic...pressor-surge/

"When your turbocharged engine is under load, the engine is consuming air (airflow) and your turbo is creating pressure (boost). These two things intersect on this graph and all is working as the turbo was designed for. Close the throttle however (as in when you would change gear or decelerate quickly), and the pressure maintains due to the momentum of the turbine wheel spinning incredibly fast, however the airflow has stopped because the throttle is closed. This situation forces the ‘intersection’ of pressure and airflow across the surge line as the pressure momentarily peaks and airflow virtually stops, forcing the turbocharger into compressor surge."

"This is where a blow-off valve comes into its own. They are fitted between the turbocharger and the throttle body. The closer to the throttle body, the better, as it will increase the response to mitigate surge.

The purpose of the blow-off valve is to eliminate compressor surge. To do this, its job is to open as quickly as it can when there are rapid changes in engine load from boost to vacuum – such as a throttle plate closing. The open valve ensures the air flow continues in the charge pipe, eliminating the pressure spike and (referring the graph above again) ensuring that the turbo can continue in the ‘zone’ without tripping over the surge line."

I don't have enough experience to say what exactly is causing that noise. But the BOV working and is plumbed correctly. The wastegate setup shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Mtntk did tell me that the spring in the BOV is what comes from BW in the turbo. And you can swap springs to get a little different reaction per rider preference.... but seriously I don't care. It runs friggin awesome and I'm way way better off spending my time trying to learn to harness the power rather than nit pick noises it's making. These sleds are throw away pieces of machinery. In 150-200 hrs this machine is gonna be junk. Even if it is surging, it's not going to hurt it. These things are designed for 100X the service life we put them through in our 2 strokes.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
Also, wondering if the EFR's direct path recirc right into the inducer will make flutter/chatter noises, but not be actual surge??

If it is actual surge... then you prob need to increase the spring force on the CRV, correct?

It's still releasing pressurized air, just back into the intake instead of atmosphere so I wouldn't be surprised if it makes an audible flutter. I would be shocked if it is surging as the only way that would happen with this is too small of a BOV and I'm sure it's sized appropriately, especially considering they aren't running this turbo at its limit.

Or is that the nature of the turbo after removing the wastegate servo that comes with the EFR and replacing with the spring?

Curios to see how the wastegate response time difference is with the spring compared to a typical servo and controller setup/EBC?

I've run setups that block WG signal till a predefined boost pressure, and although I love the concept of it, in real application, very few would notice any difference. Think of how quickly it goes from boost threshold to full boost, now shorten that a tiny bit, and that's about what you'll get. Not enough for most to even notice IMO.

It is an interesting idea, next time i get my car out I may do some logging to compare both.

Premium Features