• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Comments on Powderlite's Exhaust on the Pro

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I don't know if maybe I'm missing something but the first picture looking at the direction of the exhaust inlet and the body of the can behind it, it appears as though the restriction in the exhaust is on the bottom side of the exhaust not the top side where you added pipe to enlarge it.

Also, not trying to nay-say, just asking the question; how does the spinning effect of the exhaust gasses coming out of the turbo work going in to a non round exhaust pipe. I don't see a restriction there being a good thing but wouldn't think extra turbulence there would be good either. If designed right you can get as much or more flow through a small diameter than a large one that doesn't have very good laminar glow characteristics.

With the stock down pipe, the 2.5" pipe is trying accommodate both the turbine outlet AND the wastegate port by being kind of in the middle. So a sacrifice was made to get an outlet for both.(I am guessing for cost)

But man, I didn't know it was this bad. I will be definitely looking at this divorced down pipe. In the new down pipe pic, you can see the 2.5" outlet is lowered to give the turbine outlet full port flow, and then the upper abnormal shape pipe is added to give the wastegate an outlet also.

One question I have, is the two chambers divorced or separated until they merge at the end? This would give the best performance, less turbulent flow right at the turbine outlet. Next question, how much?

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Here is a pic of the Silber down pipe if anybody is interested. The pocket is the shape of the turbo. 90% of all turbo flanges are designed this way and make big HP.

silber_Downpipe.jpg

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
So I was pretty concerned about this on my kit based on the initial photos, so I too tore my down pipe off my silber kit, and I will say the pictures earlier are some what misleading. Like Boyko and Boston Racing stated there is like a 1" space on the turbo housing where the turbine is and where the wastegate dump into and then go out the 2.5" down pipe. So it not like its right in front of the turbo or wg. While it may not be the best flow possible like a divorced wastegate or a tial housing, it still will work fine IMO. Here are the pics:

Silber dp with the muffpot mounted:)
D970BFBE-F349-4E1E-BDD3-2BB629DC956B-28471-000007EC4498BFFA.jpg

down pipe removed from the turbo, notice the 1" pocket in the housing:
3D9CFAD7-2BA6-4C79-A377-19E85FEF2599-28471-000007EC33FB0934.jpg

Pocketed flange
DCE45CAB-12F8-42D0-9163-93F34526ED42-28471-000007EC28D9CA7C.jpg

6543C380-63A1-4D6A-B52C-5DF7803EB498-28471-000007EC2E8E1C9A.jpg

So, unless you get the waste gate and turbine outlet separated with like a shelf into the housing, I don't really see much gain with adding the additional piping. Sorry for my previous post, I was misinterpreting the pictures.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
So I was pretty concerned about this on my kit based on the initial photos, so I too tore my down pipe off my silber kit, and I will say the pictures earlier are some what misleading. Like Boyko and Boston Racing stated there is like a 1" space on the turbo housing where the turbine is and where the wastegate dump into and then go out the 2.5" down pipe. So it not like its right in front of the turbo or wg. While it may not be the best flow possible like a divorced wastegate or a tial housing, it still will work fine IMO. Here are the pics:

Silber dp with the muffpot mounted:)
D970BFBE-F349-4E1E-BDD3-2BB629DC956B-28471-000007EC4498BFFA.jpg

down pipe removed from the turbo, notice the 1" pocket in the housing:
3D9CFAD7-2BA6-4C79-A377-19E85FEF2599-28471-000007EC33FB0934.jpg

Pocketed flange
DCE45CAB-12F8-42D0-9163-93F34526ED42-28471-000007EC28D9CA7C.jpg

6543C380-63A1-4D6A-B52C-5DF7803EB498-28471-000007EC2E8E1C9A.jpg

So, unless you get the waste gate and turbine outlet separated with like a shelf into the housing, I don't really see much gain with adding the additional piping. Sorry for my previous post, I was misinterpreting the pictures.

it would depend more on the amount of boost you are running at higher boost levels daves pipe would be more beneficial.at lower boost levels there is less heat & less turbulence, at higher levels there is more heat & more turbulence & that causes back pressure that makes more heat & causes deto.:thumb:

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
How much boost do you guys run? I ran mine at 10-15 all year.The turbo loses efficiency at boost levels that high. I think the idea is good, however implying that the motors will detonate without it is a stretch. I tell everybody the same thing. These kits are designed for 90% of the people out there.

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
This is a very easy fix.
Get a new 2"flence from http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...tp&Product_Code=ATP-FLS-042&Category_Code=FLG Or get a 2,5/2,75" flence from a other company.

And go to someone that can fit and weld this, they can normaly grind the hole out to fit the downpipe,make a nice radie so the wastegate flows better.I have done it this way many times with 0 backpressure+ good boost control. You dont need to do it as advanced as Powderlite because the downpipe hole is much bigger than the turbine outlet.

The Silbers downpipe is not the way to do it. It probably works ok at very low boost levels, but as soon you want higer boost it will hurt spool up and topend HP and probably detonate becase it will add backpressure.

I would have gone for the new Push kit, it looks to be the way of doing things..

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
I love American Idol

Snowest should close the turbo forums for so many ignorant comments.

Its a easy fix for you also. And you should be proud that competing companys bought your kit to take a look on it ;-)

If its only your exhaust that is not designed 100% perfect you have a good kit... But the evolution will still go further and further.

Instead of beeing angry on the people at this forum. Go home make a easy fix for this and sell it to the ones that wants to run with higer boost or just wants to uppgrade your kit.

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
We don't need a fix. The kit works awesome. Could we hydorform a part to match exactly, Yes but it would be a waste of our time and your money. If somebody calls and want to run a boost level outside what the kit was designed for we refer them away. If they run 5-12 pounds this kit will work great for them. Our kits are marketed to most people, not all people.

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
Thanks for the laughs.. Silber.

Team Kimco !!! ???? exactly

Kimco = low quality knock off honda's.

Rydening, you should know better,, these kits are like RONCO products. late night infomercials

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
I don't get all the concern. The silber kit is a good economical kit for the masses at a very fair price. If you are that concerned about maximum undisturbed airflow, you are buying the wrong kit. You better be looking at Tial housings, external waste gates, and billet compressor wheels. Of course that is a lot more money, but then you will have a noticeable difference. The silber kit is built for a price point and they fit that point very well.

R

Rms Rydning

Sep 30, 2006
North Norway
Thanks for the laughs.. Silber.

Team Kimco !!! ???? exactly

Kimco = low quality knock off honda's.

Rydning, you should know better,, these kits are like RONCO products. late night infomercials
LOL :) and 90% buy RONCO product for its lowprice, but they get what they pay for.... Anyway, long time since I have heard from you over there, have good one :) Thanks for the good laught...I still laught here...hehheeh

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Thanks for stopping by Gus:face-icon-small-dis

Hopefully Justin and Cory aren't to upset with me for starting this thread. I had zero intention of starting or being involved in another vendor vs. vendor dramathread. I was simply intrigued with PL's downpipe and wondered about it, curious if it made any difference.

I called Powderlite's about this downpipe on the day I posted about this. The guy on the phone was very cool about it and never said anything negative at all about the original Silber DP. It was explained to me (at least my interpretation) that this was simply an attempt to "improve" the flow and could potentially help "lessen" the "possibility" if deto were to occur. They also stated to me that this would help in low to mid throttle response for tight tree riding.

I was quoted $500 and 1-2 weeks for them to modify my DP.

The picture above portraying the blockage IS misleading and is a stretch. I simply wish the wording describing the pic could have been a little less direct. Sometimes things can be improved upon but trying to leave your ego out of your wording and statements would help all of us have a grown up discussion which hopefully, would help us all in the long run.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Theres more to it than just the reduced turbulence at the turbine/wastegate outlets with the divorced system.

Dave at powderlites has been doing this for a long time and is a very smart guy when it comes to this stuff.

Premium Features