• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

D8 Rear Shock --- No Good --- Dragon

Anyone having problems with the Walker Evans rear shock? I have a 2009 dragon 163", bought it this year as a carry-over.

First ride I made it about 5 miles and the shock was done. Zero dampening up or down so every little bump and the tail of the sled was in the air. The dealer rebuilt the shock and the very next ride was the same. After 10 miles of groomed corderroy and 1/2 mile of bumps (not even big ones) it was shot again. I could bounce the tail of my sled off the ground without it running.

I'm looking for a new shock. The 2003 Escapes had great Ride Fx shocks with adjustable dampening. Is anyone switching the D8s to something like that?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The Dragon's have the WE's because they are very light (and flimsy). That helps bring the weight down on that sled. Those shocks work great in the powder, but are terrible everywhere else.

It all depends on your weight. If you are over 170lbs you probably need the "Fat Boy" torsion springs from Polaris. I think they are $70 for each side. You can go with a Holz, Timbersled, EZ Ryde, etc rear end for the ideal setup. Or you can do the Holz rear end shock kit. See link below:

http://www.holzracingproducts.com/shopping/snowmobile-polaris-iq-rmk-c-22_30/06-09-polaris-iq-rmk-rear-shock-kit-p-778

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Anyone having problems with the Walker Evans rear shock? I have a 2009 dragon 163", bought it this year as a carry-over.

First ride I made it about 5 miles and the shock was done. Zero dampening up or down so every little bump and the tail of the sled was in the air. The dealer rebuilt the shock and the very next ride was the same. After 10 miles of groomed corderroy and 1/2 mile of bumps (not even big ones) it was shot again. I could bounce the tail of my sled off the ground without it running.

I'm looking for a new shock. The 2003 Escapes had great Ride Fx shocks with adjustable dampening. Is anyone switching the D8s to something like that?

ive had nothing but problems with mine also mine was always the rough rideing one. rode a couple other dragons that rode good "to me":D:D

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Thanks. I already installed the heavy duty springs and my dealer has the Fox Zero Pro rear shock on the way.

I went with Holz on my 07 D7 and never looked back! Wow, what a difference. I loved the fact that I was able to get rid of the torsion springs. That is such a primitive way to "absorb" hits on a snowmobile.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
WE Shock Options

Stuck in a Tree, I have had good luck sending the orignal WE shocks out to Fabcraft where they add adjustable press regulator to make the shock adjustable for more or less stiffness. They also over charge the shocks to get rid of the fade issues.

It was worth the money IMO! It was around $700 for the service & upgrades to all four shocks. This is obviously a another complaint with Polaris on the WE shocks. The new WE Needles have very good ride reports stock now!

P

poledge800

Dec 30, 2008
star valley wyoming
the new walker evans shocks are a joke they are to flimsy and soft
got a neighbor with 800 miles and a 08 800 and has has them rebuilt twice and he doesnt even jump at all
he finally went to the edge ride-fx

Premium Features