• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro armor tether failure

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Had 2 Pro-armor that failed and the company was zero help.

Went with an eom Polaris tether this year. Spray a little silicone in the rubber cup every couple rides and it works great.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
IMO the ProArmor looks to be a well made unit... but it's relatively open construction does not seem to me to be optimal for sledding.

Many people have had great luck with them though some have not.

I have had really good luck with mine. Both sleds have 5 seasons without issue.

BUT.....both of mine are behind handlebar bag out of the elements. Maybe that's why??????

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Yeah pro armors seemed to work about 50% of the time for me. Got braaped pretty good last season and decided that was enough. Cat magnetic tether has been flawless for me so far this season.

srt20

Lifetime Membership
Oct 25, 2010
I'll have to check into the magnetic tether....

My 1 month old pro armor failed on friday.....had 9 riding days on it.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
Another thumbs down for Pro Armor. I got ejected over the bars last season and the tether didn't disengage and it ripped the D ring right off my jacket.

I've got the cat magnetic now and love it except the cord is too short.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Buy a Laser Phantom Teth-Air and we will give you a year normal warranty but we go well beyond a year if it is something that failed shouldn't have. Basically we cover everything but obvious physical damage.

Whats the range of distance before it kills the sled?

It's pretty easy to get sucked in a tunnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpkqBeh6Ic

Also, I've almost been used a couple of times for traction from my sled while tree riding, luckily I have the composure to keep my $hit and use peripheral vision to reach for the cord as I keep my eyes on the sled and track as its coming super close to my body!

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Not even gonna watch that vid.. Removed my pro armor as I racked up fails on my unit. Even atended a hillclimb and pulled my cord to prove function of tether.
Only reason I was allowed to race was the inspection guy turned away at just the right moment..

Ran oem Polaris after that and it keeps working for me.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Another thumbs down for Pro Armor. I got ejected over the bars last season and the tether didn't disengage and it ripped the D ring right off my jacket.

I've got the cat magnetic now and love it except the cord is too short.
Yeah it is short. Wrap it around your wrist, problem solved.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Back in 2014, I bought a Pro Armor tether and it failed. I told people then and someone representing Pro Armor or someone that sold the kits kept telling me that I put it on wrong, too tight, needed silicone sprayed, etc. I got frustrated as it should not require that much finagling. Just don't use them. They don't work all the time. Nothing else to say.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
Cheaper than new boots but could save your life. Is it worth that?

Depends on the boots..

What I dont like about the kit is cutting the antenna and then u can never get that back.. seems like u could come up with a way to make adjustments without ruining an actual function of it.

What is the least amout of distance for it to function and kill the sled? Ive seen guys flip and be torn up on the track.. granted with urs, flipping should kill it.

Truckeedoo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Truckee,CA
Mine failed. It looked cool but didn't stop the engine after about 500 miles. Harder to reload than it should be too. Moved to stock Polaris this year. 759 miles, works everytime.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Three seasons on mine and no problems. However, my buddies stopped working the first season.

How do they come apart? Mine seems sealed up as well as it can be. My killswitch on the other hand... found that one full of water on more than one occasion.

Truckeedoo

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Truckee,CA
Mine failed. It looked cool but didn't stop the engine after about 500 miles. Harder to reload than it should be too. Moved to stock Polaris this year. 759 miles, works everytime.

Seabass152

Premium Member
Jun 3, 2009
Truckee, Ca
If it fails, pull apart, clean the corrosion from the contacts and lightly grease them. I check mine from time to time since it's an important item. Only had one start to act up and worked fine after above procedure. Few thousand miles between 3 of them so far.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Depends on the boots..

What I dont like about the kit is cutting the antenna and then u can never get that back.. seems like u could come up with a way to make adjustments without ruining an actual function of it.

What is the least amout of distance for it to function and kill the sled? Ive seen guys flip and be torn up on the track.. granted with urs, flipping should kill it.

We are using laser now, no antenna and no transmitter. This is the 3rd generation already, over a 10 year period. And yes the roll-over shutdown function has been on the latest 2 versions. Unit is armed only when the track is turning.

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
We are using laser now, no antenna and no transmitter. This is the 3rd generation already, over a 10 year period. And yes the roll-over shutdown function has been on the latest 2 versions. Unit is armed only when the track is turning.

Now that sounds a lot more appealing all of a sudden..

Premium Features