• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 Handling Help

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Truth be told I am not a cat guy in the least bit. I have a good friend that rides them and specifically a 2012 m 8000 162"

He likes it, recently he has been riding a ton in tight trees and steep terrain (where I hang out) When working on his riding technique he is really having a problem keeping, initiating and paneling out that sled.

Without saying that its the rider what are some of the ways you guys have improved those characteristics? He doesn't know if he can spend the money on a new cat which I know from experience handles awesome in the trees (and is what he needs) So I am trying to get him some options.

Thanks in advance.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
2016 newer front end...
Move rear skid to the 2014 newer mounting location. Need to buy adapters for the rear drop brackets.
Done.

reduce

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
2.6" or 3" powerclaw depending on riding.

The '12s handled poorly for a mountain sled. The rear trenches bad in stock form.
The front makes it sidehill like a tank. No fun in the trees.

reduce

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
2.6" or 3" powerclaw depending on riding.

The '12s handled poorly for a mountain sled. The rear trenches bad in stock form.
The front makes it sidehill like a tank. No fun in the trees.

reduce

Yeah I know they were not known for being great in that environment. My buddy loves sledding, and is leaning toward a new cat ( I am a axys guy, hoped on the new cat right at home great sled two thumbs up) He keeps asking what he can do to improve this thing and he is not mechanical at all. So I wanted to get him some facts.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
As far as a newer sled.
I honestly would go to the best dealer in the area and ride what they sell.
Axys or Cat, both great tree sleds.
Doo has a home also, just not the best on one ski.

reduce

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Yeah I know they were not known for being great in that environment. My buddy loves sledding, and is leaning toward a new cat ( I am a axys guy, hoped on the new cat right at home great sled two thumbs up) He keeps asking what he can do to improve this thing and he is not mechanical at all. So I wanted to get him some facts.

The good news is, the basics of the sled are the same today as they were in 2012. You need to relocate the skid, swap to the 16 front end and I would stuff a 3" power claw under it. Clutching is the other big difference, the Team clutches on the 16-17 are a big improvement over the 12. The 18+ primary is even better. You can fit narrow boards and pull the bodywork in a couple inches. Still kinda fat but a big improvement for sidehilling.

So if he were mechanical, $2000 and some hours working on it would net him a pretty killer tree machine. That's used parts, your labor. If you have to pay someone, or buy all new parts the bill is going way up. Look for an 18 Mtn Cat, a nice used one would be a great sled to chase the Axys on. Heck even a 17 Mtn Cat is a formidable snow weapon, I have seen used ones for ~$8K

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
The good news is, the basics of the sled are the same today as they were in 2012. You need to relocate the skid, swap to the 16 front end and I would stuff a 3" power claw under it. Clutching is the other big difference, the Team clutches on the 16-17 are a big improvement over the 12. The 18+ primary is even better. You can fit narrow boards and pull the bodywork in a couple inches. Still kinda fat but a big improvement for sidehilling.

So if he were mechanical, $2000 and some hours working on it would net him a pretty killer tree machine. That's used parts, your labor. If you have to pay someone, or buy all new parts the bill is going way up. Look for an 18 Mtn Cat, a nice used one would be a great sled to chase the Axys on. Heck even a 17 Mtn Cat is a formidable snow weapon, I have seen used ones for ~$8K

Yeah I agree with that, the labor would be us and a few beers. So a new sled is what I am pushing him towards. What’s the biggest difference in 2017 and sleds.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
2012 to 2017 is the ProClimb. They all have the super reliable Suzuki 800 engine. They were turds in 2012 but improved every year. 2016 had the biggest updates, 3" track, Fox Evol shock package, new front end geometry, Team clutches. These things transformed the ProClimb into a serious mtn machine. 2017s were mostly the same except for the snowcheck Mtn Cat models. These had a couple features from the '18+ Ascender chassis. Running boards and body work 2 inches narrower, dropped chain case for better track angle plus the goodies from 16.

The 18+ Ascender gets new bodywork, narrower and much easier to use. New engine, Cats copy of the Suzuki. All mtn models have the dropped chain case. New primary clutch with roller bearing for lower engagement rpm.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
2012 to 2017 is the ProClimb. They all have the super reliable Suzuki 800 engine. They were turds in 2012 but improved every year. 2016 had the biggest updates, 3" track, Fox Evol shock package, new front end geometry, Team clutches. These things transformed the ProClimb into a serious mtn machine. 2017s were mostly the same except for the snowcheck Mtn Cat models. These had a couple features from the '18+ Ascender chassis. Running boards and body work 2 inches narrower, dropped chain case for better track angle plus the goodies from 16.

The 18+ Ascender gets new bodywork, narrower and much easier to use. New engine, Cats copy of the Suzuki. All mtn models have the dropped chain case. New primary clutch with roller bearing for lower engagement rpm.

Thanks for the info, I just dont know what made cats better thru the years. when you thought about 2000 bucks in upgrades was that including a track?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Powerclaw track are the most expensive tracks. New estimates:
162x3 = $1,200.
Front kit with shocks = $1,500+
Skid relocation $75
Primary clutch $600+ weights
Secondary ? $400?
Narrow boards = $300+

reduce

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
The cheapest way to make that sled 1000 times better is the 36 front end, after that I'd do the skid relocate and a track. Just the 36 front end will make it like a new sled.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Narrower running boards coupled with pulling in the lower panels and re-riveting is an improvement on top of what the others have said.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Any money put into that machine will be throw away...it is older and even great mods will not increase its value much.

He is better off updating to a newer year and putting the 2k into that.

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Any money put into that machine will be throw away...it is older and even great mods will not increase its value much.

He is better off updating to a newer year and putting the 2k into that.

I get it, I know sleds have made a huge leap in the last 4 years as far as mountain setup is concerned. It’s not my money I ride newer sleds. It’s just good to be able to tell a buddy flat out hey this is your best bet with facts.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I get it, I know sleds have made a huge leap in the last 4 years as far as mountain setup is concerned. It’s not my money I ride newer sleds. It’s just good to be able to tell a buddy flat out hey this is your best bet with facts.
Just seen a set of 36" fox evols on facebook for $250.
If u can find arms, spindles and tierods used. Maybe under $700 for the front end upgrade? That would make it worth it.

reduce

Premium Features