• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1000 T-cat clutching???

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
Hi, I am running a 1000 t-cat ported, 1107 D&D pipes, 38mm carb rack bored to 39.5, etc. Dropped & rolled chain case, 156 X 2.5" X 15 wide track. My clutching worked great with a 144 and 151" X 2" track but now I need to change some clutching. I loose RPM on long climbs. The initial RPM is perfect at 8500 but then it drops to about 8000 and I loose alot of track speed. My set up right now is:
170 - 300 Black & Purple Black Magic primary spring
64 gram weights
56 / 40 Helix
Green sno pro secondary spring.

I am hoping to just change out my helix but I would be willing to change out the entire setup if anyone knows what would work well in my sled.

Any help would be great!!
Thanks

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
install a straight cut 49 helix.

I would also install the yellow secondary spring in the middle hole.

That was our setup on the Tcats.

Thunder

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
Thanks Ajay, My gearing is the same 19 -43. That sounds like a pretty good choice of a helix. What secondary spring was in it? What track was on it?

Thanks

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Any straight cut helix from 44 to 51 will be fine. But if you install a 44/51 you need to have a progressive cut helix not a step cut. It will hang up unless you have it change angles at exactly the right spot. And that never happens.

So if you run a multi angle just make sure it is a progressive cut.

Thunder

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
Thanks guys for the input. I have a straight 49 at home. I will buy a 52/44 helix as well. I will try them both on the hill. It wont take too long to change them out on the hill. I will also take a yellow and snow pro spring with me.
Thanks.

A
Nov 30, 2007
Alberta
The helix was from cat,,,jus had it in my parts and tried it after trying everything else with every possible gearing. It was the best shifting and easiest on belts. I ran this setup for 3 years in the mountains and sold it with the same belt. The steeper angles caused clutches to heat(were in perfect alignment). Boy I will have to look back and see what spring for sure, I know I used an Erlandson Red and AC Green sno pro, if I remember they were similiar. Primary was AC purple. I was running a 151x2" dropped 3" and back 4" using a tunnel from 03 M1. Footprint was exactly like stock 162" cause I matched to my buddies KK.
Ajay

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
Ya the 56/40 helix I was using with the snopro green worked well with the 151 x 2" track. The 2.5" tracks are quite a bit more agressive. I think I have a 53, 51, and 49* helix sitting on the shelf. I am going to order the 44 / 52 progressive cut helix to try. My first day back out on the hill with be a clutch tuning day. I am also using the hard rollers in the secondary. After using them I know they are a must. The stock plasic ones are too soft. I have been using the hard ones for 7 years now with the stiff green snopro sping and they still look new.

Premium Features