• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another mod out of the way for winter

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Well, I'm waiting for DJ's clutch kit and my vents to get here for my RT1000 so I thought I would look into some drop brackets. I decided I would hack some out of some scraps from around the shop. They are not finished just yet but here is what they will look like, I need to drill a couple holes up at the top of the new piece and then finish drilling the bottom holes and get soem bolts. They are good for 1" and 2" drop, I plan to set them at two inches and redrill my front mount 1" down and maybe a 1/4 back as well but the rear set I will not be able to measure until the skid is on the ground. I wanted them to blend in, don't want the guys I ride with keeping up.
100_0495.jpg

100_0496.jpg

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
I love working with aluminum, I used the table saw and my little cordless trim saw to make them. It only took about an hour to cut them out and drill them once I had a design figured out. I'm going to try to get them drilled and bolted in tonight so I can get it on the ground.

C
Jan 26, 2002
Alaska
Should work pretty good. If you go with the bottom hole, you will most likely want to drop the front as well (like you said). That way you wont have WAY too much ski pressure.

M

mxracer328

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 6, 2009
Prince George
how thick of aluminum did you use, i was thinking about making a set of these for mine too, doesnt seem like it would be to hard to do

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
I used 3/8 but I think that is a little over kill. I think 1/4 would have worked fine, I just had the 3/8 laying around. I have not gotten any further on these but when I do get it finished I will get some more pics.

I got a box in the mail yesterday with a couple spools of shiny wire and a regulator? Hmm , maybe that new 250 cubic ft bottle of argon in the shop has a use after all ?? I have a couple other projects in the works but first I need to play with the welder some more before it touches my sled.

M

mxracer328

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 6, 2009
Prince George
I used 3/8 but I think that is a little over kill. I think 1/4 would have worked fine, I just had the 3/8 laying around. I have not gotten any further on these but when I do get it finished I will get some more pics.

I got a box in the mail yesterday with a couple spools of shiny wire and a regulator? Hmm , maybe that new 250 cubic ft bottle of argon in the shop has a use after all ?? I have a couple other projects in the works but first I need to play with the welder some more before it touches my sled.

i think a sled deck is perfect practice before you touch ur sled with it, just do the welds you cant see to start out with

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
An aluminum sled deck is not in the budget this year, honestly I think I would build one out of steel anyway. I could buy a used aluminum deck for around the same cost as building one.

It will not take me long, I've been burning steel for the last 15 or so years. I played with it for a bit last night and found the wire speed to power setttings to be much differant, electrode travel speed is much faster then steel and that will take some getting used to. I also spoke with my father ( been a welder / millwright / machinest for over thirty years ) sugested I try to change my gun position from dragging to a slight push but I have not had a chance to try that, he works at Mayfeild/Mossyrock damn and they use tons of aluminum in there power house and most of the time he uses mig so I trust his advise... plus he's my dad what can a guy doo.

Premium Features