• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help, 850 won't start on the mountain.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
If it’s flooded...which seems to be somewhat common while on the rich break in map....you hold it wide open and pull on that thing until it starts. It might take many pulls....like lots....just keep it pinned. Man some of you guys would have had a rough go with a carb sled lol

J
Dec 8, 2007
Mine is dead at the dealer. Replacing the plugs will allow it to start for a second or two, then it dies and wont restart at all. If I had to guess, I would say the voltage regulator is bad and the computer shuts down when it sees over voltage.

Polaris, if you are reading this, you guys have some major issues with your new 850s! Mine is at the dealer, might want to send a tech to check it out. ???

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
My dealer added oil to my first tank also but was only half tank of gas (not sure how much oil was added. I had concerns about fouling plugs etc, so I just added a blend of 92 non ethanol and AV gas to fill the tank. Put on 30 miles, 5 hours of riding and not one issue. Crisp as could be.

Curious - Why AV gas? 100LL has lead in it. Wouldn't think you would want to run it unless there was a specific need for AV gas (turbo).

F
Oct 16, 2008
Quebec
If it’s flooded...which seems to be somewhat common while on the rich break in map....you hold it wide open and pull on that thing until it starts. It might take many pulls....like lots....just keep it pinned. Man some of you guys would have had a rough go with a carb sled lol

Just of a 800r and never flooded for nothing. Make it roll to get unstuck then wot and pull 5 time or less and start" wish i took an ES those deep days" That pos of polaris ihave been pulling for like 50 shot wot or close but wasnt aware of the procedure with key and kill switch since its my first pooo! And i pull it too without plug in cylinder this on a carb would make it dry!

Dazzler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 24, 2009
Cochrane Ab

As in my earlier post, if motor with injector system is flooded, turn the ignition off, hold throttle wide open for 5-6 pulls max, turn ignition on and they have always fired up for me.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
This is great, oil, av gas, spark plugs and a broke down Polaris all in one thread. :face-icon-small-hap

shortstuff

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Rigby, ID
You guys really should check the diagnostic plug above the clutch cover. Polaris even has a bulletin out about it. Mine ran great first half of day then wouldn't start. I changed plugs and it started but it didn't the next time. All it takes is a little wiggle and it will make connection and start. I fought with plugs, fuse box, and everything else b4 I found my plug was not connected all the way.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

J
Dec 8, 2007
You guys really should check the diagnostic plug above the clutch cover. Polaris even has a bulletin out about it. Mine ran great first half of day then wouldn't start. I changed plugs and it started but it didn't the next time. All it takes is a little wiggle and it will make connection and start. I fought with plugs, fuse box, and everything else b4 I found my plug was not connected all the way.

What is the long term fix for this? Did the dealer just not plug it in right or is there a bad connector that needs to be replaced?

shortstuff

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2007
Rigby, ID
The factory didn't plug it in all the way. All mine needed was snapped together. But my dealer did have one with a bent pin in one also but that one never started from the crate. One connection in there provides power to fuel pump.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Just make sure yours is plugged in and the pins are all straight.

d8grandpa

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2010
Alberta
Just make sure yours is plugged in and the pins are all straight.
Scott what’s your thoughts on the new fuse box location, its pretty wide open for steam moisture to get in there.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Scott what’s your thoughts on the new fuse box location, its pretty wide open for steam moisture to get in there.

It's certainly way better than the previous way of wrapping wires in a canvas bag. I'm optimistic about it!

I
Oct 8, 2013
Be careful with av gas and 110, I’m pretty sure it’s leaded and lead is very bad for your sensors. 100 octane race fuel is supposed to be unleaded.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Be careful with av gas and 110, I’m pretty sure it’s leaded and lead is very bad for your sensors. 100 octane race fuel is supposed to be unleaded.

EH, 100LL (low lead) isn't that bad.

But yeah, those running it on a stocker are wasting their money (and hurting performance).

Just run some good pump gas

I still want more info on these sleds that went down. The fact a father/son combo had their sleds go down seems interesting. Like a neighbor hated them and dumped a bottle of water into their gas tanks or something.

Premium Features