• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Oil consumption 19:1

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
This thread is kinda funny.
Diamond S ti can: $600
Klim boots: $300
Klim pants: $350
SLP skis: $500+
Beers at the bar: $4.50 each
Aftermarket shock package: $1000-$3000
And you guys are complaining about how long a $40 bottle of oil lasts? (That actually makes a $4000 engine last longer?)
Shet, if it makes you that miserable then go buy a 96ZR580 and get the oil consumption that you want, see how much fun you have........

The money isn't the issue, I'm just a bit bummed about the false advertising, yea, video is about the 800, but the 850 was supposed to be better than the 800...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QC6GHMTWJrg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Had to chuckle when it said "most owners will only have to fill oil tank once a year".. Lol

This new 850'should say most owners will only need one barrel of oil a year.. Bet all that oil must drop there warrenty claims:eyebrows::eyebrows:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Oil never killed a motor, lack of oil kills plenty.:face-icon-small-hap

A guys wallet is another story, lets not even start talking about the the air we have to breathe.

The Polaris HO 800 motor is using around 40:1 when worked really hard. It is supposed to be a low tech old school design (relative to the 850) but really, these AXYS motors are not failing like the old ones. I am sure Doo can do much better and will have to if they want me to put on yellow underwear.

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Talking with lindermans last week, he brought this idea up with the stuck rings he seen, he said the rocking of the piston was the cause with Polaris a few years back and could be the same for the doo 850 now..

Said running the Polaris with boost help keep piston centred and prevented the skirts from breaking like the were having in stock fourm

Makes sense

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The money isn't the issue, I'm just a bit bummed about the false advertising, yea, video is about the 800, but the 850 was supposed to be better than the 800...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QC6GHMTWJrg" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I suppose, I can see that. I am more upset that I couldn't get 200 miles out of a belt last year. 2016 I rode 2600 miles, 2017 I rode 1000 and sold one of my sleds halfway through the year because I hated riding them and the issues.

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
Riding in waist deep pow yesterday I was out of fuel in 32 miles and dumped in a full 5gal from some race cans we brought with us. 30 miles later I’m almost completely out of oil and getting the warning beeps. By the time I got to the truck it was dangerously low(and yes it was filled to the rim at the start of the day). Lesson learned so today I brought a gallon of oil and 10 gals of fuel plus my spare on the tunnel ��. Glad I bought 35 gal of of oil in bulk at the start of the season Already burnt 12gals.

Last edited:
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Riding in waist deep pow yesterday I was out of fuel in 32 miles and dumped in a full 5gal from some race cans we brought with us. 30 miles later I’m almost completely out of oil and getting the warning beeps. By the time I got to the truck it was dangerously low(and yes it was filled to the rim at the start of the day). Lesson learned so today I brought a gallon of oil and 10 gals of fuel plus my spare on the tunnel ��. Glad I bought 35 gal of of oil in bulk at the start of the season Already burnt 12gals.

That's plum crazy.. Why are they using so much oil.. How did brp get this thing past the emissions, sounds like another Volkswagen fiasco

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007

I think you need to take to dealer and have them check it out. Doesn’t seem right at all. I had my 2 850”s out on Monday in the best powder yet. Put about 50 miles on and used 6.5 gallons of fuel and not even half a tank of oil. Im very happy with mine and the fuel consumption. Maybe i just got lucky on my sleds.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID

Well for me, money is the issue. I saved with my pension to buy this sled, with the expectation that it would be somewhat comparable with my XM. I went with BRP's word that it would , but in the end I got a bit yanked by them. I'll get over it but I wont forget it. There both great sleds, however, I'll probably be putting more miles on my XM, it's cheap to operate and though it's not as playful as my G4 it's still fun to ride and gets the job done...

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I think you need to take to dealer and have them check it out. Doesn’t seem right at all. I had my 2 850”s out on Monday in the best powder yet. Put about 50 miles on and used 6.5 gallons of fuel and not even half a tank of oil. Im very happy with mine and the fuel consumption. Maybe i just got lucky on my sleds.

I've got a 17 Axys 800 and an 18 850. With the exception of the first tank, the 850 consistently burns less fuel than the Axys and about the same amount of oil. I only have around 200 miles on my sled and haven't had an epic powder day this year, but almost all of the miles have been boondocking with me breaking trail. I have only burned about a gallon oil so far. Either I got a good sled or I ride like grandpa. Probably a combination of both. :)

Solby

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Are guys comparing sleds that are still in break in mode? My dad said his 2017 seemed to use a lot more oil while in break in mode.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
To me this entire BI mode is a bunch of BS.. it’s a two stroke man, pinnitnout of the gate, and all should be perfect, but they scam us into buying all this excess oil and such.. and get away with less warrenty claims.. only product around that has it

Are guys comparing sleds that are still in break in mode? My dad said his 2017 seemed to use a lot more oil while in break in mode.

Last edited:
J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Well for me, money is the issue.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to save money on oil but with $13,000+ to buy the sled I'm not going to stay home because it'll burn $10+ of oil on a ride.

Are guys comparing sleds that are still in break in mode?

My 19:1 tank was when the sled had 650 miles on the clock, I was done with break in at 300.

I didn't check gas oil ratio while in break in, but it hasn't changed much. I have checked MPGs for most of my rides, and MPGs didn't really change from break in to post break in, maybe %5 better after break in? But snow is inherently so variable that it's tough to know for sure.

Today was pretty deep, but there was decent traction underneath, but I'd wager I'm at about 25:1 for today's ride. I did put 5 gallons of gas in for 35 miles, 7 MPG, I'll go fill up oil now.

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Todays ride, 5 gallons of gas (640 ounces) and 32 ounces of oil, dead on 20:1.

I'll say that today was well worth the oil consumption, I absolutely love how this sled rides and handles :):):eyebrows: all stock except for t motion lock out. 165 summit X.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Time to switch brands buy the four stroke, comes with a turbo good clutching and doesn't burn oil! BRP CARE should be on here soon its almost snow check time. Jmo

Premium Features