• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled feels too heavy

D
Jan 1, 2008
My 2007 M1000 is very heavy and hard to control, i can power through stuff but i need to get it more rideable in areas where i can't just pin it out. It feels like it just pushes itself through, if i loosen up the front shocks will it be easier to steer when i am on some trails and ditches? I know its not a trail sled but i want to get it so i can atleast handle it on a trail

M7DingBat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2009
Alaska
Sled to heavy??......Grow Stronger!:face-icon-small-coo
Just kidding...what track length are you running? 162??

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
If you look under the the sled on the inside of the tunnel where the front of the skid bolts there are three holes. drill out the lower hole and lower the front of the skid. then with the skid in the air loosen the front skid shock until the spring is loose then tighten it about 3/8". then set the rear spring in the middle position(twist the lobe to the middle stiffness). The stock skis suck, Simmons Gen II skis work well on that sled.
Loosen the front shocks so there is about 2-2 1/2" of threads left on the bottom, or just keep loosening them until you like it.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Look inside your tunnel where your front skid bolts attach. You'll see a small black bracket on the inside of the tunnel with one hole above the stock hole and one below the stock hole.

Drill out the hole below the stock hole on each side of the tunnel and bolt your front skid bolts back through the newly drilled holes. Leave your rear bolts in the upper holes.

This will make your front end feel noticably lighter and make your sled much more flickable.

Last edited:
C
Nov 8, 2009
My 2007 M1000 is very heavy and hard to control, i can power through stuff but i need to get it more rideable in areas where i can't just pin it out. It feels like it just pushes itself through, if i loosen up the front shocks will it be easier to steer when i am on some trails and ditches? I know its not a trail sled but i want to get it so i can atleast handle it on a trail

Put SLP Powder Pros on it. Especially since you say it pushes. You wont believe the difference in tight trees. The stock skis suck, anyone who says they dont has not ridden deep snow in real tight trees.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Look inside your tunnel where your front skid bolts attach. You'll see a small black bracket on the inside of the tunnel with one hole above the stock hole and one below the stock hole.

Drill out the hole below the stock hole on each side of the tunnel and bolt your front skid bolts back through the newly drilled holes. Leave your rear bolts in the lower holes.

This will make your front end feel noticably lighter and make your sled much more flickable.

Rear bolts in upper holes.

Qreiff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
Dexter.............for sale?? Really?? You can't give up that easily. It takes time and effort (from you) to get your sled set up.........for you. Experiment, play with different settings. Did I mention it takes a little time?!?!?

Once you get it.........you should love this sled. They have great power and are very "flickable". I boondock with mine and you'll have to pull the sled out of my dead cold hands before I'll give it to you. :wink:

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Do what the guys up above said and you will feel a noticable difference. Put the front mount of the skid in the lower holes and make sure the back is in the upper holes. Makes a big difference in how it feels.

Aaron

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
before i start drilling would it help to try just letting the presure off the front skid shock

No, drilling 2 holes isn't going to hurt anything and even if you want to sell it afterwards it won't affect the sale. Just do it and be done with it. Letting pressure out of that shock won't do squat for "flickability, will only affect wieght transfer and at this point make your steering feel even heavier.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
No, the holes to drill, you can only see the holes by looking inside the tunnel, they are vertical to the bolt/ front skid mount. Look close. If you don't want to drill then do what I said above and try it. But on the 07 transfers the least. The 07 stock suspension responds far better than the 08-10 sleds. I could pin it through 2-4ft woops in the trail and it would take it. I also had Gen II on and had no problem sidehilling or tight tree riding. No 07 800 will touch it.

C
Nov 8, 2009
isn't there a different mount position for the front skid shock too? should i move this?

Cmon bud, man up and ride it. it wont feel heavy when the skis are in the air. Put some good skis on it, put the rear suspension bolts where these guys say, and give 'er. Dont spend a bunch of money revalving shocks, etc, if you are not a frickin pro you will not feel the difference. Spend your money on gas, the best mod you can do is learning to ride better, and the best way to ride better is to ride a lot.

Premium Features