• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Poor-boy Wedge fix-up

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
I finally got around to fixing up my wife's ol' '91 500 Indy. When we got married I converted it into an SKS and promised her that someday I would drop n roll the case and fix it up for her.

I am swapping in an RMK X10 rear skid (after powdercoating the rails) with a big 2 wheel conversion and swapping in a ported 144x2 series4 track. I got the skid reassembled last night, tonight I need to get moving on the drop n roll.
Summer%20Sucks

She got more aggressive last season, so I had to do something. I can't afford to up-grade to better machines, so I am upgrading her machine. More pics to follow. I have been trying to barter for all the necessary parts
moz-screenshot.png

here....

spacer.gif
http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae273/fordpickupman/Summer%20Sucks/?action=view&current=Juliesskid.jpg&newest=1
spacer.gif

Summer%20Sucks

Last edited:
F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Pics

Click on the blue "here" letters, should take you to the Photobucket. I only have one pic up so far, re-assembly has been slow.......I should make some good head way this weekend though.

Nov 28, 2007
Spruce Grove,Ab.
Big project you've got there.Are you going with the origional heat exchangers, or are you putting them in the tunnel? It's alot of tinkering to get get your cooling hoses back in the stock location once you do your drop and roll. What gearing are you going to run with that track? I'm doing the same thing to my sons '96 Indy 500 and I'm not sure how low I have to gear it to spin a 136 x 2" track.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Gearing

Big project you've got there.Are you going with the origional heat exchangers, or are you putting them in the tunnel? It's alot of tinkering to get get your cooling hoses back in the stock location once you do your drop and roll. What gearing are you going to run with that track? I'm doing the same thing to my sons '96 Indy 500 and I'm not sure how low I have to gear it to spin a 136 x 2" track.

I am running 18-40s I think.....can't remember for sure...same thing I ran in it with the 136x2

I am modifying the board coolers and sticking them in the tunnel. Works really well, better than they did under the boards. This is the second 500SKS I have done this to. It is well worth the effort. I cut out the bottom of the airbox to run the hoses and then make a new bottom in it. works like a champ. My XLT is this way also. Best part is that I already have the cooler.....

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Updates

I finished the cooling system last night, the chaincase is done, the parts are coated, Will finish modifying the airbox tonight and bleed the cooling system.

See if I can get some pics to post......

Summer%20Sucks

Summer%20Sucks

I guess the files are too big....

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Upate

I got it together Saturday evening and pulled my XLT SKS into the toolbox (shop is too small to call a shop, so it is a toolbox....) to start putting it back together.

I just have a few details left on this one and it is ready to go....:D

Julie's 500.jpg Julie's skid.jpg

C
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
can you explain a little more on how you moved the coolers from the running boards to underneath the tunnel, what all is needed and kind of a step by step, i would like to do this to my nephews indy 500 also, i plan on running a 136x1.25 track on it, so do I need to drop the suspension at all?

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
coolers in tunnel

remove them from the boards, flatten the lip that is at a 90 to the cooler so that is will sit flat against the tunnel. Drill holes in front of the gas tank in the bulk head for the hose bibs to poke up through. Rivet the coolers to the underside of the tunnel. In order for them to fit, you may have to do the "drop-n-roll" so that the track will clear the coolers at the front. It shouldn't ever overheat again. you will want to reinforce the boards to keep them from smiling at you over time. You will have to cut the bottom out the air-box for the hoses, but you can do that with a razor knife. I put a new bottom in mine to keep the crap out of the engine.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
I put 8 tooth divers on my 91 SKS and a 136 x 1.? track. Personally, I would not go to the hassle of a drop/roll for just a 500. That is, unless you really like tinkering.

BTW, I got away with leaving my under board coolers on my 96 xlt by repositioning them at an angle and trimming the flare on the rear edge after doing a drop/roll on that sled.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Just a 500

I personally really like the 500. It runs good and the drop-n-roll makes a huge difference in the efficiency of that chassis. It works well for my wife, the small power will make her a better rider. She has to finesse the machine to make it do what it needs to. Anybody can power through a situation, it takes skill to get there gracefully. That 500 will keep up with my XLT after it went on it's diet and the few efficiency mods I have made to it. We have a lot of fun on these old machines for next to nothing. btw I love to tinker......

88Merkur

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2009
Drop n Roll

Hi,

Did you buy a kit to drop and roll the chaincase or do you have a homemade template? I have several older Indy's and I want to try the drop and roll on one of them.

Thanks,

Dan

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
plates?

I measured alot, plates are too expensive for how easy it is to do.

Biggest thing to remember is keeping all the center-line distances of the shafts the same. keep the shafts straight in the tunnel. I have more time than money, so I was money ahead to do it myself. Takes about 30 min to figure out where to drill the holes. That comes to about $100 per hour you could pay yourself if you don't buy the plates, assuming you like to tinker and fabricate for yourself.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
BTW, I got away with leaving my under board coolers on my 96 xlt by repositioning them at an angle and trimming the flare on the rear edge after doing a drop/roll on that sled.

They function better in the tunnel. They don't serve much purpose under the boards. In stock configuration they typically will over heat on the trail in the spring....moving them into the tunnel fixes that problem. Poor boy U-cooler....

88Merkur

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2009
Plates?

Does the jackshaft end up running through the tunnel and did you fab a guard for the bottom of the chaincase?

Thanks,

Dan

VTMTcowboy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
I like it! I have a 90 Indy 500 with an Xtra-Lite 136 set back to 141. I will have this sled till the day it dies (hopefully never, haha). It was my first "adult" sled, so it is priceless to me. Anyways, it is cool to see others enjoying a smaller engine class wedge sled too!

Premium Features