• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

getting unstuck

S
Dec 8, 2018
About 20 years ago i bought a product that one could use to get unstuck in heavy snow or slush. it consisted of a long rope that at one end had two ropes attached in a Y configuration. These two ropes had hooks on them to attach to your track. You tipped your machine on its side and hooked up these ttwo hooks on the track and ran the rope up between the skis and over to something solid like a tree and tied it ..... you uprighted your machine and drove it with the rope wrapping around the track it pulled you out.

I have lost it and am trying to find one again but do not recall what it was called or iwhere i got it although i do remember it was online

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
No help with the item your looking for but a 25 year old to ride with is a big help.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Take a look at a product called the pocket ox. I don't have one but I am thinking about one for those situations the 25 year olds can't find me. I will agree a few young guys with strong backs is the best solution.

coolm7cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2008
Montana
Take a look at a product called the pocket ox. I don't have one but I am thinking about one for those situations the 25 year olds can't find me. I will agree a few young guys with strong backs is the best solution.

Just looked at that product. Wow that looks pretty cool. Price seems pretty reasonable. Thanks for sharing.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Pocketox.com
Cool product.

Personally, I think it would be very easy to make the rope thing that you tie to your track. I think mule tape would work as well as rope and take less storage space in pack.

For the guide ring, use two short ropes with a guide ring in the middle. Tie the ropes to each a-arm or ski with the guide ring in center-ish.

The most difficult part would be running the pull tape or rope thru a track hole/s. I would think a hole which has a steel clip would be the strongest tie-off point. On my sled, after looking at it, the clipped holes are below a lug and I wouldnt want the rope to go immediatly over a lug because that lug would be more likely to sustain damage.

I might make one myself. For each revolution of a 162” track your sled would move 13.5’ forward so it isnt like you will have to unwind a bunch after you are out (assuming you get out). Heck, I suppose if there is concern about ripping out a tie pint, one could leave some extra rope and let the track make a rotation or two to pre-wrap the track before the tension starts.

BullOnStage900-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Looks like a cool product. Use a block and tackle once on a sled used a sled for pulling another one out tore ski loops right off little to much throttle. Sleds come out a lot easier than they did in 90s.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Here are my tips for getting unstuck -

1.) Its always easier to get unstuck on a slope.

This means you can use gravity to your advantage in numerous ways, if it means pulling the nose back down hill or simply rolling the sled over. Trying to unstick a sled on flat ground, depending on snow depth is usually the woest

2.) DO NOT "PIN IT TO WIN IT" WHEN TRYING TO GET UNSTUCK

I am so sick and f-ing tired of assholes who think that they need to go WOT when trying to unstick a sled out of a ditch. Its the samne thing as clutching your car to get traction when launching in a drag race. If you go WOT you breat the coeffecient of dynamic friction and you just spin and dig. Get a ski-tug and just barley WALK the sled back up on the snow.

With all that said, i REFUSE to ride with assholes who don't understand this I've been literally run over by idiots doing this whilst trying to give them a ski tug more times than I can count, so at this point, i basically just say dig youe f-ing idiot self out if you don't do what I tell you when I'm in front of your sled pulling on it.

3.) Catch your breath

Just relax. You have a shovel. You have your mind. Dig when necessary, give yourself a wide berth to ride out of after digging liberal amounts of snow out with your shovel. But above all, when you're ready to take off again, catch your breath. Make sure you're ready to adapt to the quick bounce out and not get stuck again.

4.) Be Pro-Active

Start digging before your friends arrive to help. Its just common courtesy :)

5.) Laugh

You aren't riding if you aren't getting stuck. But be smart, and don't be a douche about it. That means learn to laugh about it :)

jdrmx

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2013
Eastern SD
Here are my tips for getting unstuck -

1.) Its always easier to get unstuck on a slope.

This means you can use gravity to your advantage in numerous ways, if it means pulling the nose back down hill or simply rolling the sled over. Trying to unstick a sled on flat ground, depending on snow depth is usually the woest

2.) DO NOT "PIN IT TO WIN IT" WHEN TRYING TO GET UNSTUCK

I am so sick and f-ing tired of assholes who think that they need to go WOT when trying to unstick a sled out of a ditch. Its the samne thing as clutching your car to get traction when launching in a drag race. If you go WOT you breat the coeffecient of dynamic friction and you just spin and dig. Get a ski-tug and just barley WALK the sled back up on the snow.

With all that said, i REFUSE to ride with assholes who don't understand this I've been literally run over by idiots doing this whilst trying to give them a ski tug more times than I can count, so at this point, i basically just say dig youe f-ing idiot self out if you don't do what I tell you when I'm in front of your sled pulling on it.

3.) Catch your breath

Just relax. You have a shovel. You have your mind. Dig when necessary, give yourself a wide berth to ride out of after digging liberal amounts of snow out with your shovel. But above all, when you're ready to take off again, catch your breath. Make sure you're ready to adapt to the quick bounce out and not get stuck again.

4.) Be Pro-Active

Start digging before your friends arrive to help. Its just common courtesy :)

5.) Laugh

You aren't riding if you aren't getting stuck. But be smart, and don't be a douche about it. That means learn to laugh about it :)

You hit the nail square on the head dogmeat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I know a lot of folks ridicule us folks that carry and occasionally use one of these, but they can be a real lifesaver when you don't have any 25 year olds riding with you and you're on an Apex!

Makes it so simple to pop the ass end up out of the trench/hole, push it over and go again.

https://highliftjack.com/

They sell em on Amazon now too I see...I've had one for years, only used it a hand full of times, but when I did...what a life saver!

Don't buy the cheap substitutes/copies of this one...this is THE one to use, it works great.

Last edited:
S
Dec 8, 2018
Well thanks for all the input. Yes I even thought about making one when i first saw it. How easy it would be to make one. However i really liked the one i purchased and would gladly pay for another but like you suggested, it is so easy to make the company likely went out of business. As for 25 year olds they are increasingly hard to come by where i go which is to my cabin (a twenty mile snowmobile ride through forest and across lakes where slush often slows me down. I only have a 570 and am not a fast driver which is a problem. Being retired i like to go there in winter for a few weeks and the kids can usually come out with me but i am basiclally alone during the week and get nervous travelling without help. Anyway thanks for all the input. I suppose if all trails were downhill the suggestion about where to get stuck would be useful.......but

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
I know Dogmeat said never "pin it to win it", which is accurate when someone is pulling on a ski. However, if you're by yourself and you're stuck on flat land, stand beside your sled, pin it and shake the hell out of it. It'll climb out of its own hole virtually every time. Full disclosure: this works on an Axys or Pro. I don't know how well it works on other sleds, but I'm sure it would work just fine with an Ascender chassis.

If you're on a hill, roll it. If you're wedged between 2 trees, start riding with youngsters.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I know a lot of folks ridicule us folks that carry and occasionally use one of these, but they can be a real lifesaver when you don't have any 25 year olds riding with you and you're on an Apex!

Makes it so simple to pop the ass end up out of the trench/hole, push it over and go again.

They sell em on Amazon now too I see...I've had one for years, only used it a hand full of times, but when I did...what a life saver!

Don't buy the cheap substitutes/copies of this one...this is THE one to use, it works great.

Those work great and save a lot of wear and tear on your back ... I just don't like the bulky nature of them. It'd be nice if they made them so you could break them down into smaller pieces so they carried easier.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I know Dogmeat said never "pin it to win it", which is accurate when someone is pulling on a ski. However, if you're by yourself and you're stuck on flat land, stand beside your sled, pin it and shake the hell out of it. It'll climb out of its own hole virtually every time. Full disclosure: this works on an Axys or Pro. I don't know how well it works on other sleds, but I'm sure it would work just fine with an Ascender chassis.

If you're on a hill, roll it. If you're wedged between 2 trees, start riding with youngsters.

Yeah if no one is in front of you go for it, I do the shake-n-bake method a lot myself .... But you never do that with someone standing in front of your sled.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Uscargocontrol.com

They have a 50’ x 2” strap with a flat hook end. Cut the flat hook part to fit into the window and the wide strap should spread the load on the first lug or two such that it doesnt dig into the lug. Just hook it vs putting a rope thru the hole and trying to tie a knot in a not so convenient place (under a stuck sled).

I didnt look much but wouldnt be surprised if there wasnt a 1” strap with a large enough flat hook.

Approx $14 for the strap, plus shipping.

I have not checked the opening size of the flat hook. My M8 2010 would need it to be 1/2” to fit over the window bar. The window is a tad over 1” wide.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Those work great and save a lot of wear and tear on your back ... I just don't like the bulky nature of them. It'd be nice if they made them so you could break them down into smaller pieces so they carried easier.

Its surprisingly unobtrusive if you mount it correctly.

I put a u bolt all the way fwd in the footwell and put an L bracket toward the rear with a wing nut and removable cotterpin...easy "no tool needed" removal.

I did it a bit different than the manufacturer recommends, but I forget its even there...until I need it! :face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

For all the years I was a DIE HARD YAMAHA fan I carried one of these and used it MANY MANY TIMES to get my boosted Nytros unstuck.

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
I know a few years ago they were making one that broke down and fit in a bag.

Premium Features