• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys 800 gearing?

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
I just picked up a TKI belt drive for my 18 800 Axys 163. Now that I have unlimited gearing options I was wondering what people are liking for gearing?

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
All depends on how you ride and what you really want out of the machine.
Is your 163 a 2.6" or a 3"?? I ask because TKI makes the conversion for the chain-case equipped sleds.

We have ran 26 all the way from/to 30 top gears-
Tom (TKI) bottom gear is kept @ 63

Keep in mind you will need to compensate (figure the math) what your final ratio will be, as a 18 Axys is running 7 tooth drivers. Tom's ratio's are based on 8 tooth drivers.

Last edited:
M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
It's a 163 2.6". I will be tree riding at 6-9000ft mostly. I don't care at all about top speed but I'm just trying to figure out what gearing works best on the sled. Stock equivalent would be a 30t, I figured a 29t would make the gearing like a 155, the Kurts gear down is equivalent to a 27t. So basically it's 27,28,or 29. I just hate to waste a bunch of money on clutching and gearing if there is a unanimous agreement of what ideal gearing is on them. I've been away from sleds for 6 years and haven't kept up on the tuning.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Been a lot cheaper to remove the Axys Quick Drive (QD) sprockets and install a set of Pro-Ride QD sprockets using the Axys QD belt.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
Been a lot cheaper to remove the Axys Quick Drive (QD) sprockets and install a set of Pro-Ride QD sprockets using the Axys QD belt.

It sure would but I think TKIs belt drive Is far superior. I like being able to change gearing, change belts easy, be able to tension the belt correct and have much more belt engagement on the sprockets. I had to change a belt on the mountain on my 13 pro, I don't want to do that again.

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Try a 24. You might be surprised. It's only a $100 but it might improve the sled like a $1,500 upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Try a 24. You might be surprised. It's only a $100 but it might improve the sled like a $1,500 upgrade.

Geared for a top speed of 60mph in overdrive? Probably not advised. TKI doesn't even make a 24t anyways.

MXRacer299, I recommend a 29t or 30t depending on terrain and riding style.

Last edited:

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Geared for a top speed of 60mph in overdrive? Probably not advised. TKI doesn't even make a 24t anyways.

MXRacer299, I recommend a 29t or 30t depending on terrain and riding style.
The OP rides trees at 6-9000ft and doesn't care about top speed. The gear that puts him at 1-1 for the majority of his riding is optimim. Low gear benefits-
Running at Olav Aaen's 1-1 a majority of the time.
More throttle response.
More belt surface to grip on.
Cooler clutches.
Better backshift.
More speed.
More consistent wfo rpms.
No downside. Don't resist. You know you will have to try it now Tdbaugha. I have a 23 tooth if you want to borrow it. You might have to change the way you clutch and think about clutching. There is a better way.

Last edited:

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
It sure would but I think TKIs belt drive Is far superior. I like being able to change gearing, change belts easy, be able to tension the belt correct and have much more belt engagement on the sprockets. I had to change a belt on the mountain on my 13 pro, I don't want to do that again.
with all the fuss about the QD belt change, the zip tie method, pulley extension etc I was scared as hell to do it myself

I brought pro ride pulleys this summer and installed them last week. pro ride pulleys makes the belt a bit tighter to get on.

1st I tried the zip tie method and I was not even close. After a couple of eyeballing I removed the the zip tie, aligned my pulleys exactly like I wanted them an it slide right on only using my hands. It was in a garage but i don't see why it would be so much difficult outside. I did it with the sled on its side. Maybe I've been very lucky but it was a lot easier then people make it sound.

my 2c

btw I love the taller gearing, it's not a huge change but there's definitely more snapiness.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
The OP rides trees at 6-9000ft and doesn't care about top speed. The gear that puts him at 1-1 for the majority of his riding is optimim. Low gear benefits-
Running at Olav Aaen's 1-1 a majority of the time.
More throttle response.
More belt surface to grip on.
Cooler clutches.
Better backshift.
More speed.
More consistent wfo rpms.
No downside. Don't resist. You know you will have to try it now Tdbaugha. I have a 23 tooth if you want to borrow it. You might have to change the way you clutch and think about clutching. There is a better way.

Yeah... tdbaugha doesnt ride trees, or 6-9000 ft or know how to set up a sled. Looks like he does plenty fine to me. Boosted, NA, electric powered being towed, you name it. ...... He is about the only of 5 people I trust for good info. Oh and I know what he runs for clutching. There is no better way. PERIOD!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FLODiV0Ba2A

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Credits to the clutcher of that sled tho-best setup I have seen including Burandt's sleds. I could feel the instant throttle/engine/backshift connection when watching the vid.
Having said that, it could be better traction wise. This is not an insult, but there will always be ways to improve.

Last edited:

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I switched to the pro gears, just gives it a bit more "grunt" in the bottom, all in all a good swap for sure. However the TKI drive is a LOT stronger etc, and fits perfectly as well

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Credits to the clutcher of that sled tho-best setup I have seen including Burandt's sleds. I could feel the instant throttle/engine/backshift connection when watching the vid.

Thank you. That’s the TRS setup tweaked for my conditions and sled. ??

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Thank you. That’s the TRS setup tweaked for my conditions and sled.
The results show your effort. You went the extra last 20% to find perfection. Most just get it close enough and call it good. A perfect model of how a sled that is setup should sound!

Last edited:
Premium Features