• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Backcountrynavigator App

bullrunner

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2009
Does the Backcountrynavigator app work with an IPhone? Has anyone had good luck using this?
Thanks

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I use it on my Galaxy S5 and it works good, even when in airplane mode so your not wasting battery searching for service in the woods. But, I've yet to figure out how to overlay the trail maps or forest service maps onto it so I can tell where the heck we are when we get misplaced in white out conditions or nearly out of gas.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I use it on my Galaxy S5 and it works good, even when in airplane mode so your not wasting battery searching for service in the woods. But, I've yet to figure out how to overlay the trail maps or forest service maps onto it so I can tell where the heck we are when we get misplaced in white out conditions or nearly out of gas.

You need to first purchase the PRO version ($11.99), then download the CalTopo map for the area you are riding in. Once you do that, set the phone to airplane mode, and start recording a track before you leave the parking lot. This will track yourself offline as you ride. If you get lost, just follow the track back to a waypoint or parking lot.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
What Timbre said...

Droid only. This is the reason I've never had an ifone. I'm not willing to give up BCN.
There are overlays that you can purchase from BCN. I have the sled and atv trails as well as the govt property lines for Id & Wy. That's about $50 tied up in an app. No regrets. Been using it on the past 3 phones....6 or 7 years. The app does way more than I will ever use but, that's a good thing. Even use it on my samsung tab s.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Great to hear you have had such good luck with this app. :)

* Did you have any issues with it using the battery to quickly?
* If so, do you bring along an extra battery, or one of those portable battery charger pack things?
* How many days will the battery last?
* What phone did you use the app on? I plan to use a small tablet as well as an old Galaxy S6 phone for testing while ATV riding this year.

Premium Features