• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First Ride 2010 M8 HCR Boondocker PG Turbo

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
So I rode it for the first time last Sunday. I put about 50 miles on it before we put the turbo on to make sure everything worked right from the factory. Very impressed with the sled stock.

I have the new kit with the EBC but ran it for the first time with the pressure transducer and no boost t so about 6.5lbs of boost. It ran great. I was prepared to have to do some tuning although I am not sure I would have known exactly what to do if it would have had runnability issues. It was very rideable everywhere. Never spit bogged or sputtered except after coming down the mountain through the woods it was a bit loaded up when I got back on the road but it cleaned out right away.

We had a stock HCR with us too and it is a bit snappier down low but with out that to ride back to back I don't think I would have noticed as much. I added some fuel on the high PSI to bring the AFR down on wide open pulls. Had about 5 guys riding it off and on for about 45 miles. It was pretty much going the whole time. Started first pull everytime and worked very nicely. Was riding it from about 3500 to 5500 feet. Showed very consistent data on the boondocker as i reset the stats several times. About 6.9 lbs boost down low and 6.4-6.5 up high and 8150-8200 rpm. Pulls pretty hard but I think I can make it even better. I love the way it sounds. I did have 2 gallons of race fuel in it and will probably continue to do so until I am sure I know how it will react.

I Have the Boondocker economy clutch kit in it now and am going to try a few other combos to see what works best for me.

I will try the EBC this weekend.

Woody

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Good stuff.

Mine should be going on its maden voyage tommorrow. Good to have a ballpark on baseline boost. I figured around 7 at 1000ft.

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
PG BoonDocker Turbo

I agree, around 150 miles on my 09 PG BoonDocker:D
The only adjusting necessary for me so far has been turning up my boost to compensate for 12000' elev. This kit is a blast:D

As I learn more about boost, can't wait to try the EBC
If I understand it right, one of the nice features is the ability to run a lower octane fuel. Currently burning 25 gals 90 with 5 gals 111 mix.

We also have some 2010's in our crew, pretty sure they would get me off the line. But, the race is to the top :D

M
Nov 26, 2007
Cranbrook B.C.
The only adjusting necessary for me so far has been turning up my boost to compensate for 12000' elev. This kit is a blast:D

If I understand it right, one of the nice features is the ability to run a lower octane fuel. Currently burning 25 gals 90 with 5 gals 111 mix.

We also have some 2010's in our crew, pretty sure they would get me off the line. But, the race is to the top :D

the only way you can run lower octane fuel with the EBC is by turning down the boost. but that might have been what you were thinking anyways.

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
If I understand the EBC, we will be able to set a horsepower or boost level.
Allowing us to set desired level of boost up at our riding elev. and then as we descend the boost will as well. As of now I'm burning a 93.5 octane to allow for my elev. changes and my learning curve. According to BD's chart I could be safe at 11500' to 12000' elev. with 8lbs of boost with 91. Not so sure if 91 is safe as I go down in elev. Also my current max is about 6.5 at 11500'. With the ADA I have to adjust boost level manually. My goal is to be able to swing 80 gram at 12000'. May never reach my goal, but going to keep shortening actuator rod a turn at a time. Among other things the EBC will make these adjustments as we ride.( I think).

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Boost PSI

I too am trying to figure out what is safe. When I was down lower about 3500 feet my duty cycle out was 96 and showing max boost of 6.9 When I was on the mountain about 5500 feet it was down to about 6.4 and 84 duty cycle out. I wonder if I can run 8lbs or so up there with a mix of race and pump and be safe. I am going to try it tomorrow with plenty of race in for safety and the EBC hooked up.

Woody

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
I too am trying to figure out what is safe. When I was down lower about 3500 feet my duty cycle out was 96 and showing max boost of 6.9 When I was on the mountain about 5500 feet it was down to about 6.4 and 84 duty cycle out. I wonder if I can run 8lbs or so up there with a mix of race and pump and be safe. I am going to try it tomorrow with plenty of race in for safety and the EBC hooked up.

Woody

You should be fine at 50/50 race mix at 8 lbs @ 5500 ft. If you start feeling the sled cut out at WOT then you may need to lower your boost. Just for reference, I can run 9.3 lbs @ 8800' + on a 50/50 Av Gas mix. Duty cycle is about 96 or 97.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA

What boost are you running at that elevation?

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
You should be fine at 50/50 race mix at 8 lbs @ 5500 ft. If you start feeling the sled cut out at WOT then you may need to lower your boost. Just for reference, I can run 9.3 lbs @ 8800' + on a 50/50 Av Gas mix. Duty cycle is about 96 or 97.

Thanks BigHoe. that is just what I was looking for. What do you think would work on straight VP110 at 5000 feet? Or would I not have duty cycle for anymore than 8?

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
What boost are you running at that elevation?

My max boost yesterday at 11500' was 6.7 But I've tightened my rod 2 turns from BD install instructions. Turning 7700 rpm's, duty cycle 82. Today tightened 2 more turns, going to give that a try. Still using 80 gram cat weights, with the ti spring BD sends with there clutch kit, 36-46 helix. I'm getting closer.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
no ride today or tomorrow. waiting for better snow conditions. anyone else with info on their new kits feel free to post away. Have received good info from several other members on working the EBC and some other tidbits just need some fresh snow.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My wife ran my 09 hcr all day while i rode the t-nytro. Had the hcr set at 0 pounds of boost since Boondockers still doesn't want to get me a turbo. If the snow was better I would be pissed. I will probably be installing it while everyone else is riding in good snow. Glad to hear everyone's turbo is running good.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
2nd ride even better

so I have been waiting for some better snow to take the 2010 M8 HCR PG Turbo up again. Weather was not ideal but some decent snow to ride in. It was raining down low and snowing pretty hard up at 5500 feet where we were all riding. I had the EBC hooked up this time and just added some boost manually with it when we got up to 5500 feet.

I still have some race fuel in it until I know more about it. Setting today was about 7.5 lbs of boost certainly noticeable increase in power over the 6.5 setting. duty cycle out was 94. I ran the 060 belt and a different cam in the secondary. Right about 7950-8000 for peak rpm. Sled ran real strong all day lots of riders got to try it out and everyone seemed impressed with it. I will try the Altitude Compensation next time and some more changes to the clutching.

I really love the way this sled works it is way fun on the mountain and works great on the groomed trail up and down the mountain.

I hope to ride it again on Sunday depending on the weather.

Woody

Premium Features