• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

93' indy trail 488 + most important easy upgrades.

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
I'm new to this forum and would greatly appreciate your input on what mods I can do to improve my machine. I just purchased a 1993 Indy trail, which is currently undergoing a complete engine rebuild. Anyways, I've already raised the handle bars, but is there anything else that will dramatically improve the handling? Im thinking about removing the sway bar, but will probably wait to ride the machine to decide if in fact I want to remove that. I'm not as concerned with increasing top end speed and acceleration, that will come later :face-icon-small-hap.

R
Nov 28, 2009
go to a 136 with 1 3/4 lugs forsure drop kit like 3 inches if its a trail and angle the tunnel when you extend the track maybe highrise seat if your big

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
We go way back with the 488's and offer the following: keep messing around with tracks, shocks, some clutch tweeks (focus on low end drive and not top end), lightweight parts, etc. But leave the engine and exhaust alone - run it stock. These fanners run out of steam right about 6,800 rpm by design. This is due to the heavy flywheel fan that cools the motor and this wheel just ain't going to spin too fast. Also, once past this rpm, the power drops off drastically for the reason noted. You got a great sled to enhance, have some fun, but work with the stock engine, not against it. Cheers.

Last edited:
C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
How do you mod the clutch for low end drive?

How much can I increase the travel on the front shocks before I need to start messing around with the stock trailing arms etc.? can I fit in an xtra 10-12?

same on the track do I put an extension kit on, or just find a parted snowmobile and buy the skid off a newer machine to get more travel and track length. My gut feeling would be to replace the skid to get both the increased travel and track length for least trouble and money.....

R
Nov 28, 2009
if you can go to a like 97 98 or 99 rmk 700 skid and a 136 it will lift the sled so more clearance 4 boards and tunnel but an extention kit will work but not as good as the new skid you might have to drill new mount holes but i think they are the same and make shure the are the same inches wide dont go longer than a 136 its alot of track 4 a 440

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
I've been cruising the used forums and came across this, when I'm looking for a new skid, what do I look for? What usually wears the hardest and what usually is a sign of rough condition. I've found this skid which is a model year 2000 xtra 12 out of edge xc. He wants 200$ CAD. for it. deal or no deal?
mail

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
what was so bad about the xtra-12?

xtra-lite and edge, what makes those the better options?

Is it possible to lengthen my travel in my rear suspension on my 93' indy trail?

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
A newer skid would be great, but if you are near Seattle, I have a complete 133.5 skid you can have. It was out of a 93 Indy 500 SKS. Put 8 tooth drivers in and a 1.5" track and it will be a fun sled.

C

classic-indy

Dec 4, 2009
Vancouver, BC. Canada
I'm living really close to Toronto, Can. So unfortunately I'm not close.

How much snow can a 121" track handle before u start wishing for a longer track?
Most of my riding will be in 2-3' more than that is not very common in my area. If I go to a 1.5-1.75" lug would that not perform well in that kind of depth of snow?

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Try this out: 1) get the engine back in and ride; decide what you want out of the sled; 2) throw the stock steel skis away, far away, and replace with some modern plastic skis and carbides (don't ask what brand as there are lots to choose from); 3) replace the track with a 121" x 1.25 lug (Camoplast Rip-Saw would be nice) (if you need to stud, install tunnel protection and start with ice screws); 4) Clean the clutches (get a manual and learn this); and, 5) Ride the sled. Learn the sled. Have fun with the sled. You do not know enough to go beyond this stage at this time - seat time and sled work time will take care of this. Further enhancement needs will become apparent as well. This is what I would do to save some money and to take care of the basics. Ride well and ride smart. Cheers.

R
Nov 28, 2009
i agre with every thing but go with 1 133 by 1.75 it will be good 4 trail or ice but it will give you tha ability to head to the powder if you ever want to and more stable and the lugs make a huge dif.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
A 1.75 will not fit that sled unless you change drivers or drop/roll. I agree that you need some seat time. Putting a 141x2 on my XLT made it a much better sled, but it was a pain to do and not something to attempt until you know your stuff.

Newer ski's, raise the bars like you did, learn how to put it where people don't think you can, then mod it or step up to a newer 700.

C
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
I have a few early 90's wedge chassis sleds. 93 XLT, 92 indy 500 and 89 indy 500.

I upgraded the front and rear suspension on each of them to 97 XLT front and rear XTRA-10 suspensions. The XLT is stretched to a 144 with a 1.25 track. It makes trail/ditch/powder riding a hundred times better, and it is all bolt on stuff, only difficult part is installing the xtra10 suspension, unless someone gives you the correct measurements to drill the bolt holes for it. which I have and can provide.

You can pick up a good Xtra 10 for under $200 on ebay, and front suspension for under $100 including shocks/a arms/tie rods. Track might cost you between $150 - $350 depends on what you can find. Do not get any lug smaller than 1.25. But if you go bigger you will have to put in different drivers.

N
May 6, 2008
lots of good suggestions,

I have a 94 trail deluxe 133, i put a set of longer fox shocks up front, out of a ?? RMK, I also did a mod to the rear arm to increase the travel. I trail ride and it works real nice.

94indy006.jpg

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
I ended up with two 94 or 95 trail deluxes could even be 93s ha. They were giving to my buddy from his father in law but he had no place to put them so they ended up in my yard. He does not ride them so We started riding them around the yard when snow was low. Plus there not loud so im sure the neighboors like that too. Anyways the crank seal went bad on both of them and I decided to mod the motor. I took .05 off the head which I could of gone .07 and still been safe. Then I ported the jugs. Now this is just a home port but there was quite a bit you can clean up in there. And the results I got out of these two mods made a HUGE difference. For a goofy looking 488 trail sled it gets it on. Now I just need to put a track under it so It can hang in the mountains. I wouldnt suggest paying for a pro port job but something simple helps.:beer;

R
Nov 28, 2009
if all you got is a 488 i wouldnt dare head to the hill but if you do gear down i would say gear down on all sled it is great of the hills and get a 136 or longer with 1.75 or bigger lugs or your hopeless my friend had a 440 touring wi d and r'd the chain case whent with smaller drivers drop brackets a 136 with 2 inch lugs geared down alot the top speed is only like 60 mph but you dont ride that fast its all about the bottom end. the gearing will help but if you can swap to a liquid cooled 600 and up.

Premium Features