• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Won't start. Need ideas

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
2016 LTD with 800 miles
Dead stock except for a can and an AC tether

Ran absolutely fine all day yesterday. Sat on the deck last night so it was cold this morning (not montana cold but well below freezing). I pulled this morning for another day of riding and it fired once but didn't really turn over. I haven't gotten a single thing out of it since.

Pulled plugs, there's good spark on the one I checked. Plugs looked a little sloppy but the points were good. Looked like some oil sludge on there.

I bought new plugs, and just put them in. Still absolutely nothing. It was definitely flooded and I burned the gas off when the plugs were out. Lights will flicker sometimes on the pulls and like I said, there was spark on at least on one of the plugs so the stator should be good right?

My arm muscles tell me there's compression.

TSS has been disconnected since day one.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
If u have spark and wet plugs, hold the throttle wide open and pull it over. Much easier with an assistant.
I had to wiggle my key switch to get mine to start twice last year. But that should cause a no spark issue.

snowmow

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Looking through some similar threads found this.

I must be the the 1 in a 100. Didn't work.

This is what you do if it happens.

Shut kill switch off (no run), hold throttle wot, pull it over 10-15 times as hard as you can. Turn kill switch to run. Hold throttle wot. Pull, it should start within 3 pulls.

That will clear the fuel from engine and start it 99 times out of 100.

If it doesn't, pull plugs and check things out.

If I get a no start, the first thing I do is pull a plug wire (I always keep an extra plug in bag) plug extra plug in and check spark.

If it has spark I pull a few times and smell the exhaust, if it smells like raw fuel, then I do the procedure.
If it doesn't I try other methods.

Sometimes we have to blow in the Baro tube to pressure up the sensor to force more fuel, but that is usually if it ran and then won't start

Throttle open or closed won't do it.

My garage now reeks of gas though.

dunatyk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Only two things are needed to start. Spark&fuel. Start the process of elimination

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Yeah I'm going to let it sit over night. We were riding in some super light blower pow yesterday so that's a possibility. It sat for an hour at least while I was changing plugs just now(seriously, how do you pull the plug wires off those back two plugs? eeessh).

I need to quit dumping gas fumes into my garage right now. It's getting nuts.

Regarding ether: where would you even spray it? I guess with the hood off?

I'm wondering if I got some bad gas. It's sled season so the 91 shouldn't be sitting around too long in tanks I'd think.

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
After the first partial start you have to crack the throttle the next pull and they always go in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I squeeze the throttle 95% of the time or my sled won't start when warm. I Never touch the throttle when cold.

snowmow

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
You also need compression;) Pull a plug from each cylinder and put a little fuel in each cylinder then put the plugs back in and pull it over.

CRJPilot

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2008
Farmington, MN
Try tapping on the injectors while pulling it over, might need a buddy. Sometimes they need to be "woke up", usually the case after summer storage, but worth a shot, although you did say you were getting fuel for sure?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
pull one plug hit it with the torch on the ground strap end till red put it back it as fast as you can and pull the rope it will fire.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Try tapping on the injectors while pulling it over, might need a buddy. Sometimes they need to be "woke up", usually the case after summer storage, but worth a shot, although you did say you were getting fuel for sure?

There's definitely fuel. I can smell it in the exhaust and there's plenty to burn off the top of the pistons.

Killiki: You do this with the pipe off?

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
no take the hood off and pull the easiest plug you can get to. from the can side you might get one with the hood on. have leather gloves handy.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
You must be stronger than I am, I can't for the life of me get those cables off without the pipe out of the way. They aren't messing around with those things.

I just tried again after sitting in a warm garage all night. Nothing. Just checked the other coil too. Both sides have spark.

I'll try dumping some gas in a cylinder when I get done with work today. I'm running out of ideas.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
theres to much fuel in the cylinders, pull plug..lighter.....to the cylinder pull rope very slowly..... a few times reinstall spark makers and hold throttle wide open and resume pulling sled over.......yes its a pain....but with 2 people sled should fire right up :)

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
theres to much fuel in the cylinders, pull plug..lighter.....to the cylinder pull rope very slowly..... a few times reinstall spark makers and hold throttle wide open and resume pulling sled over.......yes its a pain....but with 2 people sled should fire right up :)

I've done this twice now.

akstormin

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2008
Eagle River, AK
Sounds like your injectors are stuck open. Usually fixed by pulling it over with WOT a few times, can do with plugs in or out, with TSS disconnected this may not work. If doesn't work, try disconnecting or clamping off the fuel line and then pull it over 10 or so times before unclamping and letting it fire. Frustrating as hell but should be fixable. Best of luck

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Trouble shooting is the process of elimination. A guy earlier this year fought a non starting sled only to find the problem was bad gas. He spent hours jumping from this suggestion to that not following any kind of logic. You need 3 things for your sled to fire, GOOD spark, GOOD fuel and GOOD compression. I'd pull a plug out of each cylinder and do a compression test. IF it comes up good pull the rope a few times with plugs removed to get rid of extra/crappy fuel and then add a little FRESH gas to each cylinder and install NEW plugs then pull it over. If it fires and runs until it burns the fuel you added to the cylinders then you know you have a fuel problem. If it doesn't the problem is in the ignition somewhere. Easiest and quickest way to narrow down what system your having a problem with instead of bouncing from one thing to another.

Premium Features