• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bighorn Spring Trip with Short Tracks?

Hey guys, a group of us from Manitoba are looking to ditch the flatlands in favor of some mountain'ish terrain this spring, right now I've got my eye on the Big Horns . Most of us will be bringing short tracks (121, 1.75"+ paddles) so we'd be gunning for "hero snow" conditions. Given the altitude, will we still be able to have fun with naturally aspirated 600's and 800's?

We'd be looking for stuff to drop and jump. Is the big horns a good choice for this type of riding? And finally can we expect to ride right from Bear Lodge in late March/early April?

Thanks,
- Rob

Last edited:
M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
There is a good combination of different terrain in the Horns, lots of wide open flats and bowls, to steep and lots of trees. You should be just fine with shorty's in the spring snow. If things keep going the way they have started this year for the Horns, we may be able to ride into May!!

R

rev440alaska

Sep 19, 2008
Cheyenne wy
I ride the open mod race sled up there all year. You don't need a long track there most of the time unless it dumps the night before .its like a 10 mile ride to good snow from bear lodge

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Cooke is a very small area with some very steep nasty chutes and also tamer play area. The Horns would be a better choice for shorties and you will have a ball. Easy ride out of Bear to lots of good riding. Most of your riding will be between 9 and 10,000 ft. so set you sleds up for that. If you want to drop cornices there is a very good selection of the up there! Never just hammer over a crest, there might not be anything but air on the other side.

Last edited:

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
May 7 2010

There is a good combination of different terrain in the Horns, lots of wide open flats and bowls, to steep and lots of trees. You should be just fine with shorty's in the spring snow. If things keep going the way they have started this year for the Horns, we may be able to ride into May!!

It DUMPED!!! Had to stay in Sheridan until they opened the interstate. Followed a plow to Burgess. We stayed off the steep and had to really watch the cornice drops. Lots of slides and sluffs. Had a blast! NO others on the mountain for two days! We had a million acres to ourselves! Ran into one group on our way back to Bear the last day. I had a 2009 Polaris Assault 146'' with a comp track and my kid had a slightly modified 2008 M8 153''. Spring riding in the Horns rules!!! Let's all pray for a Spring like 2010!

DSC_0446_2.jpg DSC_0465.jpg DSC_0472.jpg DSC_0477.jpg DSC_0485.jpg DSC_0488.jpg DSC_0492.jpg

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
allied 1, I was up there at the same time in 2010, best spring ride I've ever had. Kind of lonely up there then and had to go a ways to cross the road but we managed to get over not fighting crowds and riding hardpack!

t300

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2009
Manitoba
Hi Rob, I can't comment on the spring snow but coming from another Manitoba resident with a 440 chassis (albeit repowered and stretched), from the terrain perspective you could should have a blast. Great terrain for a pdot video :) . If staying at Bear, I'd recommend calling ahead and booking LEE for a guide. He absolutely made our trip last time there. Going again this Feb.

Matt

Last edited:
F

Fiddy

Dec 17, 2007
remsen iowa
Back in the day we rode shorts tracks out in snowys in the prime season we had a blast couldn't climb as high boondocking was a challenge but we got hooked that was back in 96.Go anytime you will have a blast. But if they get dumped on like the snowys are now u would be f...ed lol

kt19

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2011
Cheyenne, Wy
Hi Rob, I can't comment on the spring snow but coming from another Manitoba resident with a 440 chassis (albeit repowered and stretched), from the terrain perspective you could should have a blast. Great terrain for a pdot video :) . If staying at Bear, I'd recommend calling ahead and booking LEE for a guide. He absolutely made our trip last time there. Going again this Feb.

Matt

I will second that. but you might want some long tracks for a good ride with Lee. Knows the mountains and has secret holes that are untouched even when it hasn't snowed in a week. Rode two days with him last year great guy and really good rider.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Cooke is a very small area with some very steep nasty chutes and also tamer play area. The Horns would be a better choice for shorties and you will have a ball. Easy ride out of Bear to lots of good riding. Most of your riding will be between 9 and 10,000 ft. so set you sleds up for that. If you want to drop cornices there is a very good selection of the up there! Never just hammer over a crest, there might not be anything but air on the other side.
I agree with dd. Short tracks would not do as well in Cooke as they would in the Bighorns. But be aware there are a lot of land mines in the Bighorns that love A-Arms. :painkiller:

Premium Features