• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 cylinder Vs. 2013 Cylinder 800 Pro

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for those that are convinced that there is a rod/ratio issue.. Which I am 100% convinced that there is not.:face-icon-small-win and this lend credence to that assumption.

PLEASE Correct me if I am wrong, but the new 2013 piston is the same part # is the 2012? Is this correct? I have not looked into this, personally. So, please correct me if this is not the case.

Anyway, the new cylinder (itself) has no "offset" with respect to the 2012 cylinder. We can not find any measurement that sets this cylinder forward or back from the 2012 cylinder.
Mind you, we do not, currently, have the 2013 lower end, just the cylinder. But all indications show this cylinder to be located in the exact same position with respect to the case.

Porting has not changed from 2012.

What has changed?

The cylinder intake skirt has become thicker at both sides of the boost port.
The thickness of the boost port has remained the same as the 2012 cylinder.

The exhaust side skirt measures SLIGHTLY thicker, but it is so minimal that it just could be a casting difference.

The bore diameter has remained unchanged as well.. So, we will still have the super loose pistons (if running the OEM pistons)

Injector boss area looks to be the same.. so, the 2012 injectors will install in the 2013..

So, in short, thicker intake skirt is the big change.. No offset, just a thicker skirt..

When ours arrives we can look closer at the lower end...

Kelsey

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
So thicker intake skirt....all the earlier motors that I have seen take a cylinder skirt off have taken the intake side..so this should help..and since it should be stiffer it may indeed help with piston longevity as well...any signs that they tilted the cylinder back on the case at all? any sign that the casting is thicker around the actual cylinder itself?

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
So thicker intake skirt....all the earlier motors that I have seen take a cylinder skirt off have taken the intake side..so this should help..and since it should be stiffer it may indeed help with piston longevity as well...any signs that they tilted the cylinder back on the case at all? any sign that the casting is thicker around the actual cylinder itself?

Cylinder thickness (At the bore) has not changed either... ONLY the intake skirt thickness.

Last edited:
R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com

Also no tilting of the cylinder

Just a simple thickening of the intake side lower skirt

Most of the breakage we have seen has been on the exhaust side.. Interesting..:face-icon-small-con

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Every cylinder skirt failure for me has been on the intake side. Which is super thin compared to the exhaust(intake ports take up the space). This is great news for all 13 owners.

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Anyway, the new cylinder (itself) has no "offset" with respect to the 2012 cylinder. We can not find any measurement that sets this cylinder forward or back from the 2012 cylinder.
Mind you, we do not, currently, have the 2013 lower end, just the cylinder. But all indications show this cylinder to be located in the exact same position with respect to the case.

What has changed?

The exhaust side skirt measures SLIGHTLY thicker, but it is so minimal that it just could be a casting difference.

The bore diameter has remained unchanged as well.. So, we will still have the super loose pistons (if running the OEM pistons)

Injector boss area looks to be the same.. so, the 2012 injectors will install in the 2013..

So, in short, thicker intake skirt is the big change.. No offset, just a thicker skirt..

Kelsey

See post #40 in this thread: http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312453
Cylinders themselves of course will not show any signs of being offset - it is how they mount to the lower end. How do you want your crow Kelsey? :face-icon-small-hap

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
See post #40 in this thread: http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312453
Cylinders themselves of course will not show any signs of being offset - it is how they mount to the lower end. How do you want your crow Kelsey? :face-icon-small-hap

Have FUN!

G MAN

??? Not sure what crow you are talking about..:face-icon-small-con Honestly, totally confused on that one??

The cylinder with respect to the crank has not changed. ALL they did was thicken the intake skirt
So, now the piston will break before the skirt..I guess that is a small benefit.

Our 1400 mile 858 had NO cylinder or piston issues.. :decision: Wondery why??:wave:

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
2013 Part No. 3022449 CYLINDER-85MM, SDI MONOBLOCK, OFFSET
2012 Part No. 3022352 CYLINDER-85MM, SDI MONOBLOCK

Uhm, yeah, you are wrong. :face-icon-small-win As for eating crow, was pretty sure you were one of my doubters when I posted that this was coming back in April? If not, my apologies... there's plenty of crow to go around for all the other doubters. :face-icon-small-hap

Cheers,

G

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com

Uhm, yeah, you are wrong. :face-icon-small-win As for eating crow, was pretty sure you were one of my doubters when I posted that this was coming back in April? If not, my apologies... there's plenty of crow to go around for all the other doubters. :face-icon-small-hap

Cheers,

G

AAHH.. I never disputed any discussion regarding that subject.. So, with all due respect, you have me confused with somebody else.. I guess many others

Again, as for any "offset" that may be the new name, but there is no offset with respect to the cylinder centerline .. just a name that is apparently misleading.. The centerline of the cylinder is in the exact same location with respect to the upper case as the 2012.. Unless they somehow offset the crank in the cases or moved the mounting holes on the upper case.. but, it looks to be nothing more thana thicker skirt.. which is not a bad thing to have..

Last edited:
I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Every cylinder skirt failure for me has been on the intake side. Which is super thin compared to the exhaust(intake ports take up the space). This is great news for all 13 owners.

They thickened them up in 2010 too but reliability remained about the same. Until they put in a properly sized piston it will be more of the same. Thanks for the info Rkt.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for those that are convinced that there is a rod/ratio issue.. Which I am 100% convinced that there is not.:face-icon-small-win and this lend credence to that assumption.

PLEASE Correct me if I am wrong, but the new 2013 piston is the same part # is the 2012? Is this correct? I have not looked into this, personally. So, please correct me if this is not the case.

What has changed?

Kelsey

Thanks for the info. but:

#1 -Willing to share any pictures???

#2 - How much thicker is cylinder skirt??? Measurements please!!!

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB

Cheers,

G

In your first post you say: "Cylinders themselves of course will not show any signs of being offset - it is how they mount to the lower end"...............then you post the part description that clearly states: "OFFSET"

So what is it then, I'm confused???

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
In your first post you say: "Cylinders themselves of course will not show any signs of being offset - it is how they mount to the lower end"...............then you post the part description that clearly states: "OFFSET"

So what is it then, I'm confused???

Delete - not even worth going there with you nor Kelsey. Get a bottom end and compare mounting holes yourself and then get back to me in your "legit" information post. :rolleyes:

2013 case: 2204902 KIT-CRANKCASE 1204579 | [Incl. 2,7-11]
2012 case: 2204342 KIT-CRANKCASE 1204093 | [Incl. 2,7-11]

Are you guys really that stubborn to accept the fact that Polaris may have made some changes?! LOL

Here's Kelsey's quote from my post in April: "
"RKT
04-12-2012, 09:05 AM

If Polaris is going put a thicker cylinder skirt on this engine , the upper case WILL have to be different as well.. There is no way to have any longer or thicker skirts without a different upper case...

So, in short, unless there are some upper case changes, the cylinder can not get thicker.

Kelsey"

So which IS it Kelsey??? Or did some imposter post in your namesake that day???

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
Premium Features