• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When do people bring out the short tracks?

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
When do people bring out the short tracks into the mountains for jumping? I have an 05' snopro 440 that i want to take out for jumping and other things that long tracks wouldn't be that great for, scared of breaking the rails.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Y'all are hilarious. I'm talking how when you see the guys in the movies, they have their short tracked sleds out doing jumps and stunts. Most of the time it's spring conditions but others there's powder still. I am only curious. No point in bashing someone for a simple question.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
When do people bring out the short tracks into the mountains for jumping? I have an 05' snopro 440 that i want to take out for jumping and other things that long tracks wouldn't be that great for, scared of breaking the rails.

Here in the high Sierras Never seen one

snow_god

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2011
southwest wisconsin
Most of its in the spring. The videos with the powder are pry also in the spring. Riding on spring set up snow with a powder ontop of it. Just cause its spring doesnt mean they still dont have big dumps of powder.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Dude, you live in Canada. Do you really not know how snow works?

Not trying to be a d**k but sheesh....March-ish into April. May in some places.

It would be far easier to decide where you want to ride first and then get info about that area. Then make some plans as loose as your schedule and budget allows so you can get there as close to prime conditions as possible.

Of course, if you're on a short track you're most likely going to be following everyone else's tracks anyway so just go when you can get the time.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Conditions vary a lot from 1800 feet in the prairies compared to 5000feet on a mountain in bc. Powder conditions will change completely different from wind blown drifts that are hard as a rock. How should I know how the temperatures will be on a mountain from thousand miles away? Snow here goes away in a matter of two three weeks. We don't get multiple feet evenly dispersed. We aren't all blessed to be living in a mountainous region of the world and to know every little thing.

Thanks.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Conditions vary a lot from 1800 feet in the prairies compared to 5000feet on a mountain in bc. Powder conditions will change completely different from wind blown drifts that are hard as a rock. How should I know how the temperatures will be on a mountain from thousand miles away? Snow here goes away in a matter of two three weeks. We don't get multiple feet evenly dispersed. We aren't all blessed to be living in a mountainous region of the world and to know every little thing.

Thanks.

Do you have the internet where you live?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
What's the track? We went all the same places on 136's 2" lug not many years ago. Just got stuck more but no big deal. Definitely didn't wait for any time of the year....just went.

Typically speaking the snow sets up march April may and June here. That said, storms that come in march can be huge....deepest days of the year often. April and may would be safe for goin anywhere with any track. But again, I'd go anyways even with a smaller sled.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
What's the track? We went all the same places on 136's 2" lug not many years ago. Just got stuck more but no big deal. Definitely didn't wait for any time of the year....just went.

Typically speaking the snow sets up march April may and June here. That said, storms that come in march can be huge....deepest days of the year often. April and may would be safe for goin anywhere with any track. But again, I'd go anyways even with a smaller sled.

Thank you that what I was after, I have a 128" with 1-3/4" paddle and a couple studs. I have two long track sleds, a 153" and a 162" for the deep days. I've only been sledding in the mountains once sledding to revelstoke on June 20 of last year. The snow was set up very hard where my race sled would've done great.

I guess I will try it out and bring the little guy with me if I do move out west for this winter.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Do you have the internet where you live?

Yes I do have the Internet, I can't check the weather all the time, and does the weather for the city/town close by give the weather for on the mountain where the riding is? Plus when the sun actually starts coming out that makes huge difference in temperatures. We don't start getting a lot of sun until march. I don't know what I did to you ever, so you can please stop posting in my thread if you have nothing else better to say except rude comments.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
The sled forums will be your best source of info as to when the "hero" snow conditions start showing up. Like mentioned before, spring is usually the best time, but spring conditions can vary from year to year and location to location.

Try asking in the specific location section for the area your interested in. Snow conditions are frequently asked about and posted, you just need to browse.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
The sled forums will be your best source of info as to when the "hero" snow conditions start showing up. Like mentioned before, spring is usually the best time, but spring conditions can vary from year to year and location to location.

Try asking in the specific location section for the area your interested in. Snow conditions are frequently asked about and posted, you just need to browse.

Thank you, more info i was wanting to hear. I appreciate the responses. That was the snow i was trying to describe the "hero" snow.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
If you have a 128, a 153, and a 162, what you should do is sell all of them and build a really nice 141 that will do everything all the time no matter the conditions :):)

Sent from my phone using tapatalk

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
I''ve ridden hero snow in febuary and had super deep pow days in May... pay attention to your weather and then go ride accordingly. the upside to your situation is, you will prob have the mtn to yourself if you have hero snow days in the middle of winter since most people will opt out of those days and wait until there is good snow to ride.

Premium Features