• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Home Depot sucks

S

sw Pub

Nov 26, 1999
Normally I don't get to violent at places like Home Depot. However ... they just pushed me a little too far and I have to vent.

Went there to pick up some flat brick for landscaping. I needed 10. The cost was .86 cents each. The cashier range me up for $11.04. Now, I'm not the greatest at math ... but 10 X .86 should be $8.60 plus some tax. Unless Uncle Sam was taking a little more this go round, I thought she rang it up a little high. But we're just talking small change.

So stupidly, I asked her to check the math. She said the bricks were $1.02 each. I said, "no, they were .86 cents. She said "lets go look at the price together. It was a 20-yard walk so I went with her and showed her the price. She appologized. The told me I would need to go to the returns area to have things fixed. We're talking less than $2 ... but I thought that it was the principle of things. So I took the brick, put them in my truck and walked back into the returns area.

There was one lold lady working the returns. A couple of guys were returning some hardware and boards (and pieces of boards ... I didn't know you could do that). Anyway, it looked like they were about done so I just calmly waited. And waited. And waited. They were having the poor lady look at every nut, bolt and screw. They were having her re-measure the boards, re-calculate sales tax. Basically, they were cheaper than me with my .16 cent per brick price correction.

Five minutes of watching this circus really started to bother me ... especially with all the Home Depot workers walking back and forth past me.

Just about the time the two guys were packing up to leave, an old guy walked right past me and up to the old lady. He was holding a couple of light bulbs outside a pack and a couple inside a new pack. He literally stepped right in front of me.

Now, I don't have a lot of patience ... but I didn't want to go off on an old guy. I hoped the lady would notice what just occured. She didn't ... and started helping him.

Now I thought this would be a simple exchange or something. Again, I was wrong. Soon, the lady was trying to get the lights that were inside the package out of the package ... and she couldn't. The old man helping her wasn't helping. And I was really starting to steam.

After a few more Home Depot employees walking by, one finally asked if I needed help. What a relief. I said yes ... I was overcharged and needed to get it corrected. This guy looked at my receipt as though it was in a foreign language ... then asked for another worker for help ... who looked at it as though it was in a foreign language. Then he said "you need to go to the returns department."

That's when I lost it. I told them to keep the change and walked out. I'm still not sure they even have a clue what went on.

But, at least I know that they won't be getting my business any time soon.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Does that surprise you when 98% of the people in this country are idiots?!? :face-icon-small-win

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
That place is terrible. Ace Hardware is the bomb in comparison... Maybe I am just a sucker for a place that stocks all sorts of metric bolts, and in stainless too...

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Perhaps sent this to Home Depot? They might send you a certificate to get you back in the door....just what you want, right? :face-icon-small-ton

You should return the bricks and watch the confusion when they ring up at .86. :face-icon-small-win

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Big box stores have no idea of "The Value of a Customer". Sure, they may be a few cents cheaper, but most of their employees have no clue as to the products they sell, how to use them, how not to use them, other suggestions to what may work better, etc, etc.... Reward your locally owned stores by shopping there first and letting them know you appreciate their customer service. Your time was worth more than .16 a brick!

I like the idea of returning the bricks. Is it theft when a store over charges you?

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I second the ACE hardware idea they kick A$$ where I live:face-icon-small-hap

trikerider

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Ellensburg Wa
Took me 2 hours to pick up 400 fence boards one night, the problem was they didn’t have anyone at the store that was certified to run the “big” forklift. We did get $50 off the price because we complained so much. I have found the best way to get help from one of the departments is to simply call the store and tell them what aisle you’re in.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I usually dont use Home depot of Lowes unless I'm either going to save money or if no one else has what I'm looking for.

I tend to hit the smaller places that have been in business for awhile. They have a much better knowlege base, and are usually more friendly.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Took me 2 hours to pick up 400 fence boards one night, the problem was they didn’t have anyone at the store that was certified to run the “big” forklift. We did get $50 off the price because we complained so much. I have found the best way to get help from one of the departments is to simply call the store and tell them what aisle you’re in.

I always love doing this, but I always ask for a manager when I call in and then ask him if I can get some help. :peep:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
this rant just goes to prove , u can't fix stupid!!!

U CAN'T FIX STUPIDITY!!!!!!!!!! STUPID PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BREED

Premium Features