• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Short Tracks out west?????

MARV1

Lifetime Membership
May 3, 2004
Kotlik, AK
You'll have no more friends within a couple hours, on your own and stuck more than you care to count. Best to stay home or rent a real sled when you go out "west"

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
My first year out west I rode a short track. By the next year I had it traded off for a long track! Dont get me wrong, I still had a blast out there but was disappointed that I couldnt go where I wanted to.

If the shorty is your only option, I would definatly still go. You will still be able to get a good feel of what it is like riding out there. Then after you get back you can make the decision to either trade or rent next time.

But believe me, it was told to me before I went my first time, once you ride out west you will never want to ride around here again!!:face-icon-small-hap

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
It really depends on what snow conditions you hit when you get there. Any good snow and you're going to be real tired of shoveling by the end of the day. Unfortunally, it's not always bottomless powder and then most any sled can get around.

Z

ZRman31

Sep 8, 2008
Negaunee, Mi
I say GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will for sure need a 1.7 track thou. The first time i was out west it was on a 03 F7 with about 150 horse and a 1.7 track. I was the only short track in a group of 7 other mountain sleds. Let me tell you I had a BLAST and its what i credit my riding skill to now. I couldn't get up some hills but i worked and worked and worked and i learned how to do all sorts of things. I got stuck ALOT, but it was still an awesome trip. Get a 1.7 track, a sno-bunjee, and bring a REALLY good friend that has a good back with ya.

The following year i brought the same sled out west, with a 136x2 track and 4 inch setback out west and again i had a BLAST! I was amazed at what i could climb and i could sidehill for miles...

80arrow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
Grand Rapids MN
Go. Try to ride with a few buds that have similar sleds though. If you are all on similar sleds you'll have a blast. If you're going with guys that have "mountain " sleds you'll get disappointed :face-icon-small-froand they'll get tired of helping you get to where they start to climb. Its addicting though and you'll be upgrading for next year.:face-icon-small-hap

P
Dec 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Phhff...The first year i rode a 98 Formula 500 fan cool (121", .75 track). I couldnt go where the big guys could go but it was still a blast. It didnt snow any of the trips I went, which surely helped. But there was a foot or two of untracked stuff msot places. I didnt get stuck all that often actually.

I was never NOT pinning her all day long however.

Now, if it snows a lot, it may be a different story.

B
Feb 13, 2008
ELKO, MN
All I ride out west is a 121" They go anywhere as long as you are able to take it.

???? take what? a helicopter. I have been in places where I know you would never even dream of taking a 121......well maybe if you got there you would not be able to get back out.

I vote go. all of us flatlanders all start somewhere. Just beware, you will then have to have a mountain sled and only ride out west.

M

mod03rmk800

Nov 26, 2007
missoula
For sure depends on the when and where you are going. Start side hilling any thing and everything with BOTH hands on the grips where you are at now. Try driving down the trail on one ski for as long as possible. When out west, try to be 3-4 guys deep whenever off any trails if the snow is soft. You will get a feel pretty quick of what you can and can't do. Right now around here, you would have a ball with your sled as long as you don't lose it on a hill as it won't stop until it reaches the bottom or a tree!

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
I ride a Doo 440/800 121 2" here in Alaska and go where most long tracks go my shortie has taken me all over the Chugach range. Granted it is WFO all day, but when the snow is just ok and the long trackers are sitting around wining about the snow I can have a blast. If it snows a foot I can have a great day while that one deminsional 174 tank is just sitting wishing for snow.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Rigby ID
That's all any of us ever used to have, 121 3/4"....
Seems like we had just as much fun and sure didn't see all the avy
deaths because very few could make it in to the real steep and deep.
Now any yahoo with more $$$ than brains can buy a sled and putt putt
along and find themselves in trouble....
I still have a 89 indy 500 short track and when all my nieces and nephews
go I end up riding it (little punks jump on my newer ones and I can't
catch em) LOL

L
Mar 13, 2004
Lake Cle Elum, WA
The first 20 years I rode, I never had anything more than a 136........I've been to a lot of places, including 5 trips to Yellowstone/Island Park.......Just use your head and have a good time.......Upgrade as time and money allow.....

T
Jan 9, 2009
This sounds all to familiar. I was in the same boat you were in a couple of years ago. My first trip to Cooke I got to use my bro's mod 162 800 with all the goodies. Came home and said enough with this Wisconsin crap I am gonna ride out west for now on. Did some thinking and went for the Crossfire 700. Thouht it could work well in both cases. It does very well in flatland and good out west. Like the other guy's said go with the 1.7 track. My 2" challenger made a tremendous difference. If you go in spring or "HERO" snow it should do good for you. The firecat's have such a narrow track that it will trench on you more then you want:ballchain:in a day's ride. By the way gonna sell my sled this spring and get a M sled.:face-icon-small-win

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year 1: Edge 600 with a 121x.91
Year 2: Edge 600 with a 136x2
Year 3-5: M7 with a 162x2.25

I had a great time the first few years on a the short track. Don't let anyone talk you out of it! I don't ride at home anymore either, just out west. It's somewhat addictive ;)

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
???? take what? a helicopter. I have been in places where I know you would never even dream of taking a 121......well maybe if you got there you would not be able to get back out.

I vote go. all of us flatlanders all start somewhere. Just beware, you will then have to have a mountain sled and only ride out west.

I'd hesitate to say James "can't" take a 121" certain places. While I agree the 121" is at a HUGE disadvantage, I know how James rides and it is amazing where he and a few others put their 121"s.

That aside, my suggestion to liv2ryd1414, rent a long track when you get out west. You can rent a new sled and will have a blast. It WILL work better for you in the deep.

Sam

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I think it depends upon snow conditions and the other sleds you are with. If the other sleds are all long tracks then it could be an issue. If the snow is deep fluffy powder you might have an issue.

I have ridden with people with 136" tracks. They do fine in the more setup snow.

Best thing is to get out to the mountains and see.

Premium Features