• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 rmk gear down

D
Apr 20, 2017
I have a 2014 rmk 600. It has stock gearing right now but I want to gear it another tooth down for more low end torque. Was wondering if anyone had some input of this idea and could help me out on what kind of gearing would be best.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I have a 2014 rmk 600. It has stock gearing right now but I want to gear it another tooth down for more low end torque. Was wondering if anyone had some input of this idea and could help me out on what kind of gearing would be best.

2.42:1 is working very well for us in both the 600's and 800's, with clutching.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
If you are in the west (mountains) and this is a standard RMK, gear it down as low as you can... even the 800s benefit from this in general and the 600s for sure. Others can tell you what gears work and fit in the chaincase without changing the chain but I think 45 tooth bottom might work if I recall. If it is a quickdrive PRO model then the only ways to gear down are going to 7 tooth drivers (use Axys style drivers with stock pitch to use stock track if 2.86 pitch), or Kurts geardown kit, or TKI or C3(?)... if you are a 144 it may not be as critical to gear down depending on where you ride...

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
what kind of clutching will i need to do?
I would just run stock clutching for the elevation you ride, sometimes you can throw a little more weight at the primary but only if you aren't hitting your target RPM, IMHO of course...

EDIT: When I geared down I went ahead with Kurt's Polaris clutch kit but that was for the 800 and for my riding elevation (5K-8K)

Premium Features