• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2017 axys with 3000 miles

Iowa_assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2014
Cedar Rapids Iowa
I have a 2017 axys rmk 155" 2.6" with 3000 miles on it.

I havent done too much maintenance on the sled and I was wondering what you guys would recommend at this point with this many miles?

Should I throw in a new top end? Im only keeping the sled one more season and it looks like ill only put 1000 miles on this season.

Anyone else with this many miles on theirs?

R
Feb 29, 2016
Miles do not really matter. How many hours are on the motor? I am pretty sure they are meant for 250 hours before a rebuild. Being from the Midwest, your riding is different and you typically put on a LOT more miles than pure mtn riding. My all mtn ridden sled averages about 10-11 miles per running hour. so after 100 hour my sled only has 1000-1100 miles. Yours could easily have 3000 miles on the same 100 hours of use. If is was a lot of trail riding you probably haven't worn it out too bad. Compression check will tell you if you need a rebuild though.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
I am always a little leary just trusting a compression test. If it was mine I would probably put new pistons in personally. Spend $300 and know you will have a good winter. It could save $3000 grand and being out that riding time. Same goes for my 250f dirtbikes. I could probably squeeze 70 or 80 hours out but put a piston in at 40 or 50 hours, rather spend the $200 to have the confidence in my motor. Plus I always think about it locking up on the face of a jump or something that could cause some serious issues.

just my 2 cents

R
Feb 29, 2016
Top end is going to cost a LOT more than $300, just sayin'.

Personally I would never bother with anything less than an indy dan rebuild on a Polaris. Ride it until it blows. These are not the best built motors from the factory. My first one shelled out at 113 hours and after the first ride the second one showed 107 compression both sides. Truly the best way to go is a quality built motor from Dan. Yes $3500 is a lot but at least it will last and the people who built it will actually stand behind it, unlike the original manufacturer.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Top end is going to cost a LOT more than $300, just sayin'.

Personally I would never bother with anything less than an indy dan rebuild on a Polaris. Ride it until it blows. These are not the best built motors from the factory. My first one shelled out at 113 hours and after the first ride the second one showed 107 compression both sides. Truly the best way to go is a quality built motor from Dan. Yes $3500 is a lot but at least it will last and the people who built it will actually stand behind it, unlike the original manufacturer.
$300 is about right for pistons and gaskets.

Honestly, if you have warranty, ride it till it pops. Otherwise then your on the hook if you have it opened up.

I would be curious what your milage to engine hour ratio is vs a mtn sledder.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I would be curious as well how you pounded out 3k miles on a mountain sled. But at the same time you guys can't lump someone who lived in the Midwest and trail riders in the same group. 75% of my riding is done in the Midwest in the UP. My riding days always consist of about 6 hrs of riding, and I ALWAYS put far less miles on in the UP as I do out west...

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
If you have at least a year of warranty left, I'd put the $300 or so towards rebuilding the clutches and wouldn't touch the engine.

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
If you blew up a motor due to piston failure and that kind of miles would polaris really do anything. I figure they will screw you every chance they get. And if I remember right reading warranty it doesn't cover ring failure, etc.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
pull exhuast valves for cleaning and look at the pistons. if you cant see them there pull the exhuast. if pistons are scratched up bad you know what to do.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I would be curious as well how you pounded out 3k miles on a mountain sled. But at the same time you guys can't lump someone who lived in the Midwest and trail riders in the same group. 75% of my riding is done in the Midwest in the UP. My riding days always consist of about 6 hrs of riding, and I ALWAYS put far less miles on in the UP as I do out west...
We have a couple guys that stack similar mileage on in a winter...all mountain. Just need to not work much in the winter, really like riding, and be able to shell out some serious $$ for gas, oil, maintenance parts, truck gas, etc....all of which really ad up with that many miles. Also need a spouse/kid(s) that are on board and/or don't exist. But definitely have seen it....would be fun (in a different life for me).

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
pull exhuast valves for cleaning and look at the pistons. if you cant see them there pull the exhuast. if pistons are scratched up bad you know what to do.

I thought this was bad because of the electronic setup associated with the electronic valves.

I don't really buy into waiting until the motor pops. Sometimes I'm 30 miles away from the truck. That's a long tow out. Why not address a high mileage motor and do the top end? If no maintenance has been done, I'd bet the clutch is in dire need of some bushing work.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
I thought this was bad because of the electronic setup associated with the electronic valves.

could be; hence the latter part of my quote.
cant see other side of the piston but can see a lot of cylinder wall and get a pretty good idea on what to do. jmo.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
could be; hence the latter part of my quote.
cant see other side of the piston but can see a lot of cylinder wall and get a pretty good idea on what to do. jmo.

Yep, that would give you a good idea of a small side of the pistons. I think I would just pull the mono block. It's really not that hard. I'm guessing at 3k, that the rings should be replaced at the least. Like I said above, i don't want to worry about losing a motor 30+ miles away from the truck. My luck, it would be on a 4' powder day.

Premium Features