• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help with diagnosis on 2017 Axys

P
Aug 27, 2010
NorCal
With 875 miles. Did the old, shimmy, shimmy, big backfire, then dead. Temp was about 155F at the time, springtime climbing Temp. Just out of the Cabin about a mile. Warmed up properly. Nothing out of the normal.

Will restart under half to full throttle only, and then dies when returns to idle like it isn't getting fuel. Pull plugs, LH normally wet but RH was bare dry with a red/brown burnt look.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
With 875 miles. Did the old, shimmy, shimmy, big backfire, then dead. Temp was about 155F at the time, springtime climbing Temp. Just out of the Cabin about a mile. Warmed up properly. Nothing out of the normal.

Will restart under half to full throttle only, and then dies when returns to idle like it isn't getting fuel. Pull plugs, LH normally wet but RH was bare dry with a red/brown burnt look.

Hmmmm......

Axys motors will idle on one cylinder (unlike Pro-Rides).

Normally aspirated or Turbo?

When it starts under half to full throttle will it move sled? Does power feel "normal" once it gets moving?

What have you been running for gas? Is it possible you got bad or contaminated gas?

875 miles--Original plugs?

How do the stator plugs look-- I've seen quite a few melt out the plugs.

Have you ohm'd out the stator and looked for shorts?

Gauge cluster still working, headlights, etc?

VR smell or look burned?

Can you put DC power to fuelpump prime plug and hear the pump run?

P
Aug 27, 2010
NorCal
Axys info

No turbo
Immediately changed plugs, belt. Same issue
Gas worked fine in other sleds riding with me
Ran it rough, giving it a hand of throttle to get it onto sled deck

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Failed crank seal would result in some serious lean conditions and very poor runability and possible top end damage from lean condition.

I understand it will cause damage at some point just never had one not run while leaking. I have had a high idle that holds and such but just not one that would not run.

I guess if it was that bad it could but at that point I would say you have some internal damage to go with it.

Of course there is a new way to break down everyday!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
the backfire can also damage the cranks seal. but it will have something else for problems to cause the backfire.

Premium Features