For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2018, 09:48 AM
Currently: Not set.
Basic Member
snowbortz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lights

Hello, I just bought a new 2018 YZ 450 not Fx. What are some lighting options? Has anyone had success with helmet mount or battery operated lights that are NOT hooked up to the bike battery? Any advice or experiences with lights are appreciated! Thank you.

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 10-31-2018, 09:54 AM
teal_210 has a reputation beyond reputeteal_210 has a reputation beyond reputeteal_210 has a reputation beyond reputeteal_210 has a reputation beyond reputeteal_210 has a reputation beyond reputeteal_210 has a reputation beyond reputeteal_210 has a reputation beyond reputeteal_210 has a reputation beyond reputeteal_210 has a reputation beyond reputeteal_210 has a reputation beyond reputeteal_210 has a reputation beyond repute

I only use battery powered bicycle lights, keep them in the backpack until needed. I only carry one unless I plan to be out at night, then I take two, one for the handlebar and one for my helmet. I will not tap into the electrical system on a mx bike, it's too fragile. You're only asking for problems.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:17 AM
Lachoneus has a reputation beyond reputeLachoneus has a reputation beyond reputeLachoneus has a reputation beyond reputeLachoneus has a reputation beyond reputeLachoneus has a reputation beyond reputeLachoneus has a reputation beyond reputeLachoneus has a reputation beyond reputeLachoneus has a reputation beyond reputeLachoneus has a reputation beyond reputeLachoneus has a reputation beyond reputeLachoneus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cyclops works

And I will respectfully disagree with Teal (I guess) and say the Cyclops lights, though expensive, do work well with MX bikes (I have them on two YZ 450 bikes right now), no problems after 3-4 seasons. Where guys get into trouble is trying to run lights AND heated grips at the same time with MX bikes that have no batteries. Usually you can run both, BUT not at the same time. Quite a few other options out there if you don't want to spend quite so much $ with Cyclops. But Cyclops is top-notch customer service, the owner rides snowbikes, etc. and that to me is worth something when making an accessory purchase.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 10-31-2018, 10:25 AM
Currently: Planning a build
Basic Member
M5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond reputeM5- has a reputation beyond repute

I run a cheap 6 LED light bar, 18W on my YZ. I don't have heated grips. I also have a helmet light but rarely use it. There is no need to cut any wires on a YZ (at least pre 18 models, can't comment for certain on the e start bikes) in order to add a light. The ECU plug where the programmer plugs in contains 3 wires. One is data, one is a ground and the last one is 12v+. You can do one of two things. Buy a new weather pack connector (sold by Eastern Beaver in Japan) and add the pins or just get the pins and add them to your blanking plug. It makes the light plug and play. Don't ever cut the wiring harness. JMO

M5

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to M5- For This Useful Post:
s.e.xtreme (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:28 AM
Basic Member
rhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond reputerhino89523 has a reputation beyond repute

I have Helmet mounted lights made by Task Racing, I think they sell them at Rocky Mountain ATV now as well. They were pretty reasonably priced and I can run both lights for 4 hours full power on one pack, I have four packs. The set up we bought was to run in Baja and they made it all night. They are very well made and pretty darn bright. We had the bike lit up as well and these filled in the gap great. I have used them once at night on the snow bike and they did great. I tried to run them at night once on my sand bike out at the Dunes and with no light on the bike you outrun the light at like 40 (just a guess) it was still ride able but the speeds had to be lowered down a bit and it was just hard for me to ride with just those as the navigation and familiarity of where i was at just got hard. In The snow I was going slower and maybe the moon was shining enough or something so I could tell where I was easier. I always bring at least one light and one battery just in case....often I don't plan for what life tends to want to deal me.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following User Says Thank You to rhino89523 For This Useful Post:
yzrider (11-17-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 11:24 AM
Currently: 2 x('18Camso/'08KTM300 XCW)
Basic Member
Misha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond reputeMisha Subo has a reputation beyond repute

We used helmet mounted leds last winter for 3-4 rides. It worked really well and only cost ~ $25 batteries and charger included on Amazon. Never gave a problem and lit up the snow more than enough. I'll try to find the link and repost.

The Following User Says Thank You to Misha Subo For This Useful Post:
s.e.xtreme (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 12:02 PM
Currently: Getting the R6 snowbike ready......
Thanked 1,437 Times in 902 Posts
Sheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond reputeSheetmetalfab has a reputation beyond repute

Trail tech helmet light.

Hid flood.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sheetmetalfab For This Useful Post:
69 colt (11-02-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 12:12 PM
HenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant futureHenryTheHammer has a brilliant future

I ran these cheap CREE light bars last season and they worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-MIC...ght%2Bbar&th=1

Old 10-31-2018, 04:02 PM
Currently: 13 ktm 450sxf. 17 yeti 129
Basic Member
coryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryTheHammer View Post
I ran these cheap CREE light bars last season and they worked great:

https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-MIC...ght%2Bbar&th=1

thats exactly what I got on my bike and the left half of the light is dead, those LEDs dont come on anymore. I guess for $25 easy to replace. typical chinese LEDs.

not sure what wattage they draw, but my 13 sxf450 sure doesnt like running that LED headlight AND grip warmers.

hemlet headlamp and coolant bars are sounding like a good idea, with the baja designs stator upgrade just in case!

Old 10-31-2018, 04:56 PM
Thanked 1,251 Times in 362 Posts
ChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond reputeChrisNeibauer has a reputation beyond repute
Old 10-31-2018, 04:59 PM
Currently: Waiting for the snow
Basic Member
SlickO has a reputation beyond reputeSlickO has a reputation beyond reputeSlickO has a reputation beyond reputeSlickO has a reputation beyond reputeSlickO has a reputation beyond reputeSlickO has a reputation beyond reputeSlickO has a reputation beyond reputeSlickO has a reputation beyond reputeSlickO has a reputation beyond reputeSlickO has a reputation beyond reputeSlickO has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 10-31-2018, 07:03 PM
heliwrench has a reputation beyond reputeheliwrench has a reputation beyond reputeheliwrench has a reputation beyond reputeheliwrench has a reputation beyond reputeheliwrench has a reputation beyond reputeheliwrench has a reputation beyond reputeheliwrench has a reputation beyond reputeheliwrench has a reputation beyond reputeheliwrench has a reputation beyond reputeheliwrench has a reputation beyond reputeheliwrench has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 10-31-2018, 08:46 PM
Basic Member
powdermuncher has a reputation beyond reputepowdermuncher has a reputation beyond reputepowdermuncher has a reputation beyond reputepowdermuncher has a reputation beyond reputepowdermuncher has a reputation beyond reputepowdermuncher has a reputation beyond reputepowdermuncher has a reputation beyond reputepowdermuncher has a reputation beyond reputepowdermuncher has a reputation beyond reputepowdermuncher has a reputation beyond reputepowdermuncher has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-01-2018, 08:53 AM
Basic Member
coryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond reputecoryf89 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-01-2018, 08:47 PM
Basic Member
tek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond reputetek9tim has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-02-2018, 10:20 AM
Basic Member
assaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond reputeassaultn has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Currently: Ripping whenever I can...
Basic Member
Timberview01 has a reputation beyond reputeTimberview01 has a reputation beyond reputeTimberview01 has a reputation beyond reputeTimberview01 has a reputation beyond reputeTimberview01 has a reputation beyond reputeTimberview01 has a reputation beyond reputeTimberview01 has a reputation beyond reputeTimberview01 has a reputation beyond reputeTimberview01 has a reputation beyond reputeTimberview01 has a reputation beyond reputeTimberview01 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-08-2018, 03:07 PM
SnoWest Paid Sponsor
off road rider has a reputation beyond reputeoff road rider has a reputation beyond reputeoff road rider has a reputation beyond reputeoff road rider has a reputation beyond reputeoff road rider has a reputation beyond reputeoff road rider has a reputation beyond reputeoff road rider has a reputation beyond reputeoff road rider has a reputation beyond reputeoff road rider has a reputation beyond reputeoff road rider has a reputation beyond reputeoff road rider has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register

Old 11-08-2018, 06:58 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 11-08-2018, 10:12 PM
Basic Member
btb721 has a brilliant futurebtb721 has a brilliant futurebtb721 has a brilliant futurebtb721 has a brilliant futurebtb721 has a brilliant futurebtb721 has a brilliant futurebtb721 has a brilliant futurebtb721 has a brilliant futurebtb721 has a brilliant futurebtb721 has a brilliant futurebtb721 has a brilliant future

Click Here to Register