• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 twin pipes

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Here is the email response that I got from SLP.

Interesting but yet still leaves guy wondering.........."how loud"??? That truly is the question. I'm super interested but I don't want something obnoxiously lout and annoying!!

Price point is pretty much where I thought it would be but by the time they hit shelves, I'm guessing 989.00 or 999.00, just because that's usually how it goes.

So now the question that comes to mind......Twin pipes for basically a grand plus a clutch kit of some kind or turbo?????

Pipes and clutch kit will now put you in that 1300.00 to 1400.00, so now you're almost half way to a turbo???

Hmmmmmm:juggle:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
My guess on noise would be that it's going to be fairy loud. "The silencers are a new design and are a little quieter than the old race pipes." That sounds like it's well outside the ballpark compared to stock noise levels, not to mention their literature lists the twin pipes as competition series. You could always try it and have a custom silencer made as BILTIT suggests, but then you're pushing the cost up more yet. Seems hard to beat a turbo in price/performance, especially at altitude.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
For sure they will be LOUD and sound sweet, it's the nature of the beast with race style twins, it is what it is. Just keep the packing fresh and low speeds when blowing by crowded areas and such :face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-ton:eyebrows::eyebrows:

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
What can's should I get? Ggb or mbrb?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My guess on noise would be that it's going to be fairy loud. "The silencers are a new design and are a little quieter than the old race pipes." That sounds like it's well outside the ballpark compared to stock noise levels, not to mention their literature lists the twin pipes as competition series. You could always try it and have a custom silencer made as BILTIT suggests, but then you're pushing the cost up more yet. Seems hard to beat a turbo in price/performance, especially at altitude.

I had Reggie Sellars at Highmark in Boise make me some "quieter" mufflers for my twins back in 2002. Heck, I might still have them sitting on a shelf, I think.
I did have to wear ear plugs with them, but they were better than the little glass pack stinger pipes of old.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
My own personal speculation is that they will require a reflash too.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
My own personal speculation is that they will require a reflash too.

Sounded like there will need to be fueling changes but it wasn't official how they were going to go about it yet. Im not sure that a resistor will be enough to get full potential out of the twins like they do with the single? More info will be released in October.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Too lazy To read the entire thread.

Twins are trash at high elevation. Not enough pipe pressure.

In my old PSI twins, they had a backpressure bolt between the expansion chamber and muffler. You just removed washers as you gained elevation.
I think one washer was good for 1000' elevation change.

They were great!!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
No one is doing that now.

8000+

Twins are a joke.
That's because nobody has made twins since about 09.

We'll see how they turn out.

I do remember that people had issues with twins below 3000'.
Too much cranking compression.

Premium Features