• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

custom one ski machine options

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Yep..

Sign me up Les.. Those who have been riding single skis for nearly 10 years have experienced the power of the hawk, the shortcomings of the exploder/ two moto and enjoy the nimbleness of the Timbersleds and other kits, most yern for more power, turbos are not the answer for everyone.
With proper weight distribution and ergos you have a winner.
It wont be for everyone and that probably a good thing, But your on the right path for many.
There will always be doubters anytime someone does something different, You are the man and have done it all. Keep up the great work!

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Like many (or most?), I have no interest in changing a snowbike back and forth to a wheeled summer ride. A machine that makes the best snowbike is not the best summer bike for me. Entirely different power delivery needs, suspension, transmission ratio, etc. Plus the time and effort to swap back and forth and the overlapping riding seasons. When i first got into snowbiking, i did use the "seasonal swap" idea as part of my justification, but quickly realized that, for me, that was wrong. I'll take a dedicated, no compromise winter snowbike.

And, i like the idea of a no compromise setup. Meaning the snow dedicated setup and design does not have to be compromised due to summer-use considerations. How about front suspension that goes all the way down to the ski to increase travel (though some "weak point" spindle section will still be a good idea), heat exchanger cooling, ergonomic design changes, etc.

Most days, i don't need double the horsepower of the current bikes we use, but yes, a bit more would be nice. And that mainly due to the hp loss at 8-10k feet (24-30%). If one came with 130hp, I would not complain, but that much power is not top on my priority list where reliability, weight and maneuverability are.

I think $15k is reasonable. If you find a good deal for a new bike $8k and good deal on a kit $6k, you are at $14k before adding fork springs, LED lights, heated grips, thermostat, engine shield, intake setup, etc. not to mention nice extras like pegs, comfortable seat, pipe wrap, heat exchangers. If i went out today and bought all new to replace my older bike and kit, I'd be at $18-$20k!

Yeah $15k is a lot and it will depreciate, but a new bike and kit is more and depreciates as well.

With my timbersled kit now sold and the bike i used for snow for sale, I, for one, am really excited to see what hits the market in the next 1 to 3 years. Some of it might not be for me, but i still love it and appreciate it all. And when something right for me comes out, I'll buy it.

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
it is an amzing machine!

here's a couple vids from today, it works really well in the backountry! super fun and just like a bike!a touch heavier and alot more like a rocket! just as nimble in the trees! i'll try to post more pics and vid from the last couple days, this setup is working well and looks promising for a lot more punch than a 450! plus it is just baaad!!!!

Last edited:

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I took it for a spin, not the most exciting vid as we were buggin out for the day down the trail due to a broken bike in the group, but gives a good idea of what the machine is like in the open, and the second half has a good climb, this was all I got, I almost didn't get to ride it!

Last edited:

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
here's another one sorry about the quality this really shows the horsepower! and the rider!

I love your project, don't get me wrong but riding open hills in sled terrain is not what the snow bikes about, Lets see it rip with the 450 in the trees ,gully's and steep sidehills?

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I love your project, don't get me wrong but riding open hills in sled terrain is not what the snow bikes about, Lets see it rip with the 450 in the trees ,gully's and steep sidehills?

totally understand, hopefully les will post some of that from his camera when he gets home, we rode plenty of bike only terrain but I didn't get much of his machine because I was leading the group. It is a little harder to handle than a bike, but not that much. its not for everyone, but it is very close to a bike

yooper01

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2014
Got to say, your projects have looked sweet.

I hate to think about you doing all your r & d and and a big manufacturer making millions off of it 2 or 3 years from now. :face-icon-small-fro

Anyhow. I would if I could but I cant. Keep up the great work though.

Regarding riding terrain, I think having something that really makes any terrain fun would be sweet. It would be awesome to blast up hills that I used to climb with my sled, but then go do gullies and trees later. A true do it all , and do it all well machine. Looks like you have got one, or are at least really really really really really really close.

heliwrench

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2015
Regarding riding terrain, I think having something that really makes any terrain fun would be sweet. It would be awesome to blast up hills that I used to climb with my sled, but then go do gullies and trees later. A true do it all , and do it all well machine. Looks like you have got one, or are at least really really really really really really close.

Exactly. "Snowbike terrain" won't just be in the tight wiggly stuff anymore, it'll be the whole mountain.

E
Dec 19, 2007
I've been thinking about a purpose built snow all winter. My preference would be a little more power for 10,000 feet and keep the manual transmission. My 380 is pretty close. Move skid up and forward and create more front skid travel with a 10" wide option for the track. Build frame so forks mount to ski without a spindle. Keep it light and skinny.

Riding straight up a hill is never necessary or even that much fun for me and if it is an avalanche chute I just won't go there. so a 140hp is not what I would want in a bike. 60hp at altitude would be plenty.

Any close-up pictures of the 800? How is the drive train/sprokets lasting with that much hp?

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I've been thinking about a purpose built snow all winter. My preference would be a little more power for 10,000 feet and keep the manual transmission. My 380 is pretty close. Move skid up and forward and create more front skid travel with a 10" wide option for the track. Build frame so forks mount to ski without a spindle. Keep it light and skinny.

Riding straight up a hill is never necessary or even that much fun for me and if it is an avalanche chute I just won't go there. so a 140hp is not what I would want in a bike. 60hp at altitude would be plenty.

Any close-up pictures of the 800? How is the drive train/sprokets lasting with that much hp?

Got pics of your 380?

Talked to TS about fitting a kit before doing a 500 4 stoke, and they told me no.

dirtrebel

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Bozeman, MT
here's a few I found that were decent from day 1, the visibility was very poor so not high speed but I was actually trying to follow and film. its ahrd to do all the filming when u just are trying to ride. we are riding in a burn so its trees without branches. yes a 450 is probably the ultimate super thick steep tree machine but this works great at that and is more fun everywhere else if you want a turbo, or a cr500 is not enough for you! not necessarily trying to push it on anyone because bikes are awesome, this is just working well and is another option for the guy who is wanting a faster bike or sticking with a sled because bikes are too slow for how they like to ride.

Last edited:
Premium Features