• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need muffler options for running a quiet turbo sled?

J
Dec 2, 2002
Monticello, MN
With all the talk of sound reg's going into place, I would like to see what people have came up with for running a relatively quiet exhaust on a 2 stroke sled. I will be running a Silber Turbo this year on my '09 RMK 800 and it will be a couple weeks before it gets installed. The kit will be dumped into the tunnel for those not familiar with his kits.

I'm looking for options to get the quietest noise without back pressure issues. The sled will be ridden from 1k to 9k feet elevation. Anyone have experience with this? I don't have much room to work with, it will need to be fairly compact width and length wise. I know Jegs and Summit racing sells bullet style race mufflers but I wasn't sure how quiet they would be. Would a stock motorcycle muffler work if it was cut down?

The only turbo noise experience I've had is the '05 M6 OVS turbo I built a couple years ago. It had the side exit exhaust and it would echo through the valleys. It was almost an instant headache and I want to do my part in keeping the noise down to a minimum while still having a good time. There is no need to draw attention to my sled if I can come up with a solution.

Thanks in advance.

snakeye

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Montana
turbo muffler

I wouldnt go through the tunnel they tend to crack the tunnel call Shane at twisted he has muffler for them:D

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
I would stick with the tunnel dump,have not heard of any cracking issues non cats so can't see much difference.Sound levels are a lot lower when dumped in tunnel and if you have lots of venting,no worries about sucking your exhaust.Just my opinion,I know a guy that just had twisted turbo installed with tunnel dump,but once again it was on a cat.

Dave

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Well, I'm running a BD turbo setup (Silber's kits are Very close to the same setup) on an 08 700 RMK and this is what I'm doing. BD want's like $300+ for a little tiny muffler that doesn't do squat hardly. So I'm making my own.

I'm taking the original tunnel dump pipe and making it into a glasspack style muffler. To do this I picked up a piece of 4" exhaust pipe about a foot long (Always buy extra for the first go round) and made a couple rings on 16 ga sheet metal (2.25" inner hole and 4" outer diameter). I plan on finding the absolute maximum length that I can have of the 4" material and then in that section drilling a buttload of holes through the dump pipe. Then putting the rings at each end of the holes and welding in place. Wrap Fiberglass muffler packing for a 2 stroke dirtbike around it and slide the 4" over that and weld it in place. Presto instant glasspack muffler that should retain 100% of the stock flow characteristics and drop the db's as much as possible. I might do something to make it repackable too, not sure on that yet.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Well, I'm running a BD turbo setup (Silber's kits are Very close to the same setup) on an 08 700 RMK and this is what I'm doing. BD want's like $300+ for a little tiny muffler that doesn't do squat hardly. So I'm making my own.

I'm taking the original tunnel dump pipe and making it into a glasspack style muffler. To do this I picked up a piece of 4" exhaust pipe about a foot long (Always buy extra for the first go round) and made a couple rings on 16 ga sheet metal (2.25" inner hole and 4" outer diameter). I plan on finding the absolute maximum length that I can have of the 4" material and then in that section drilling a buttload of holes through the dump pipe. Then putting the rings at each end of the holes and welding in place. Wrap Fiberglass muffler packing for a 2 stroke dirtbike around it and slide the 4" over that and weld it in place. Presto instant glasspack muffler that should retain 100% of the stock flow characteristics and drop the db's as much as possible. I might do something to make it repackable too, not sure on that yet.

Sounds heavy. Use Aluminum thin tubing for the 4 inch and rivet in on. Then it will be repackable and lightweight.

D
Oct 19, 2003
Rapid City, South Dakota
I offer a small 4'' diameter by about 5'' long ceramic (no repacking required) glass pack style silencer for my turbo kits. It is a little heavy due to it's construction. It takes the hi pitch out of the exhaust tone. It has 2.5'' ends on it. I would sell the silencer for $50 plus shipping if you need one. You can see one on my website in some of the pictures posted. Shoot me a pm or email if you need one.

Dave

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Sounds heavy. Use Aluminum thin tubing for the 4 inch and rivet in on. Then it will be repackable and lightweight.
I was thinking about that but I may need to do some relieving and re-welding of the outer diameter of the muffler to get it in there. Not a whole lot of room available and I want it as quiet as possible. It won't be anywhere near a full foot long as there's not enough room, that's just what I picked up out of the scrap bin. I'll be lucky to get a full 6" of the 4" diam in there. I also don't have equipment to weld alum yet. I'll weigh it and post pics when it's done I have an idea to make it re-packable by riveting like you suggested and I will try to do that when I build it.

Last edited:
X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
Well, I finished my muffler and it only added 1 lb over the original dump pipe on the BD turbo kit. Heres some pics

Pipe with holes drilled, and the piece of 4" stainless that I used for the outer piece.
DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0828.jpg

After it was packed and welded
DSCN0829.jpg

And now after paint while its drying
DSCN0831.jpg

I did have to cut out a little more of the footwell "boot stopper" but it won't really hurt anything as it's all mainly supported by the steering hoop and the steel cross piece.
DSCN0830.jpg

Overall I'm happy with the way it turned out, now I just hope it knocks the sound level down the way I want it to.

Last edited:
Premium Features