• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Denali 6.2L gas or a 3/4ton diesel to pull my 25ft enclosed

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Well we were on our trip out west and my 07 F150 had a short in the light switch melting some harnesses and messing with some other stuff. Its under warranty and we borrowed another pickup to get out west. My F150 has Load Range C tires and airbags so it could handle my 25ft united enclosed with four sleds but lacks on the power side. I'm probably gonna be trading now as I don't know if I should trust mine anymore and the warranty is almost up. Anyway I'm torn between getting a Denali 1500 with the 6.2L like my dad has and throwing airbags under it or going for a 3/4 ton diesel. We usually make 2 trips a year and haul misc loads for the farm but usually we use our 3/4 ton and 1 ton field pickups for heavy stuff. I've pulled the trailer with my pickup and a 1/2 ton dodge and it works just not great like I said above. I prefer the 6.2L for the rest of the year the mileage is around 18 on my dads and gas is cheaper. Torn on what to do. Let me have the opinions.

S

Smoothlander

Dec 13, 2007
W.C. Minnesota
I just got a Chevy 2500 D-max and pulled our 27' enclosed with four sleds and guys to Island Park from Minnesota. On the way out we ran in 4X4 until Beach with 50/50 fuel running about 70 mph and got 8.1 mpg. On the way back in 2wd driving 75-85 on #2 we got as good as 10.1 mpg. This is my first Diesel and love it until I fill her up with fuel. We traveled with two other guys that had a Chevy 1500 and a 2 place open with two sleds and when we got 10 mpg they got 13 mpg and ended up being a wash for cost.

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
Well, you sound like me from a few years ago. I used to have gassers back then and "lived" with its shortcomings. And it was only when towing around the farm and long trips towing out west that it lacked in the power/comfort zones. One ride in a diesel 3/4 ton out west a few years ago changed all that. I knew then and there that when I got back home that my "gasser" at the time was going to go in for a diesel for once and all. Now, I have a Duramax and would never ever go back to a gasser. I don't care if it costs more than a gasser or if gas is cheaper to buy than diesel. I rather have the all around features of a diesel that gets good towing mileage and better mileage not towing and handle heavy loads with ease. I also had a choice to go with a big block--why get a big block and have to stop at every pump stations along the way even tho it'd be cheaper shortterm. Don't get me wrong, Im sure the 6.2 Denali would get the job done no problem. If you like to be reminded of the fact that it won't hold a candle to the diesels whenever you tow, by all means go with the 6.2. If you rather have the feeling that you wont be reminded of your truck's shortcomings, get the diesel. That's what I tell people trying to decide between diesels and bigger than the norm gassers. Hope this helps.....

Fearless Catman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
The Sheyenne River Valley of ND
My last trip out 2 weeks ago. 24' trailer with 4 sleds/gears and -30 temps on the way there in 2wd at 70-80 netted me 10-11mpg on 50/50 plus treatment and on the way back in warmer +25 temps at 75-80 in 2wd on #2 fuel netted me 13-14mpg. Out of all my trips out there over the last few years have been a consitent 10-12mpg to the mts and 13-15mpg to home. All hand calculated. Very happy with the results. I don't miss the old days of 5-7 mpg gassers.

W
Dec 2, 2007
As someone that owns a Denali 6.2, and has a 19 foot enclosed trailer, go with the 3/4 ton. I find that pulling the trailer with the 1/2 ton 6.2 it burns huge amounts of fuel and the stability is not there. I pull the trailer short distances once in a while but it is not a comfortable feeling especially when it is windy or ice covered rodes. I have had 3/4 tons and they pulled much better and safer. I use a 1 ton dually now to pull the trailer to the mountains and the mileage and comfort is awesome. Hope this helps.
When my lease is up on the Denali I will definetly be going back to another 3/4 ton GMC for my second vehicle.
Just my 2 cents.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
I assume you are talking Denali versus 3/4 ton pickup? There is no 3/4 ton Diesel in a surburban.

I have an 07 XL Denali 6.2L I have had 6 "surburbans" over the years including two 3/4 ton. One 6.0L, one 454. Its a mixed bag really. My Denali pulls my 7x27' trailer fine. The 6 speed trans helps a lot and the engine has more than enough power. I've never seen 5000RPMs going up hill. On the flats it pulls in 5th fine and when it gets hilly I drop to 4th. It takes big hit on the mileage pulling a trailer (like 8mpg), but considering 95% of my driving is not pulling a trailer, I could care less. A diesel would better for pulling, but I don't pull 98% of the time. My only complaint is that you have to watch the load distribution closer than with a 3/4 ton. Load smart. Its not the ultimate, but it works fine. That being said my next truck will be a 3/4 ton Surburban with the 6 speed trans and the 6.0/6.2L. That will solve the "bit on the light side" feeling I get when the trailer is not spot on with the weight. Plus you can get every option (except AWD) on a 3/4 ton suburban anyway. AWD sucks a lot of mileage versus a 2Hi/4Hi setup.

If you pull all the time get a diesel pickup for sure.
If you are goign to drive it mostly for other stuff, get a 3/4 ton sururban with the 6 speed trans.
Its always a compromise. Pick which you are willing to sacrifice and buy accordingly.

Last edited:
C
Dec 8, 2008
If you are not averse to Toyota, check out the Tundra....decent ride in the city and more than capable for your towing needs....Its not perfect no truck really is....

B
Jan 22, 2009
wyoming
opinion

The perfect snowmobiling,family,work truck is a 07 or older 2500hd chev or gmc equipped with the allison 5 or 6 speed(6spd in 06-7)5spd auto in years 01-05 and the 8.1 big block gas.You can find a nice under 40k mi,leather,sunroof,four door,xm for $20k+-.Lots of power,starts easy at -20.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
wild - Is your Denali a pickup or SUV?

On trips out west, the diesels (Powerstrokes and Duramaxes) in our group are always in my rearview mirror when we go up the long grades pulling the same trailers/load (3-place inlines).

Yes I have a heavy foot but the 6.2L power is never lacking. Unlike my friend and his F150 a few years ago that was floored in first gear going up a grade and was loosing speed. He bought a D-max a month later. :)

Buy the Denali and put real tires on it (BFG 285/55-20s) and the reason for me when faced with the same decision was
1. AWD > *
2. For a "drive to work beater", I don't need a diesel the 99.9% of the other days of the year.

index.php

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Few years ago bought a 27 ft pace enclosed, great trailer. Bought a 3/4 avalanche with a 8.1 to pull it. All of my diesel friends would run away from me. Next year bought a duramax. Tons and tons better.

ndmtnsledder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
ND
Thanks for all the info. I was comparing the denali pickup to a 3/4 ton. My F150 is probably out of commission for several weeks and will probably never get the burnt electrical smell out of it. I ended up with a 08 F250 6.4L the dealership had left on the lot. It has the same options as the denali and 09 F150 I looked at less the leather and cost the same or less so it was pretty hard to turn it down. Picking it up tommorow :).

Last edited:
W
Dec 2, 2007
wild - Is your Denali a pickup or SUV?

On trips out west, the diesels (Powerstrokes and Duramaxes) in our group are always in my rearview mirror when we go up the long grades pulling the same trailers/load (3-place inlines).

Yes I have a heavy foot but the 6.2L power is never lacking. Unlike my friend and his F150 a few years ago that was floored in first gear going up a grade and was loosing speed. He bought a D-max a month later. :)

Buy the Denali and put real tires on it (BFG 285/55-20s) and the reason for me when faced with the same decision was
1. AWD > *
2. For a "drive to work beater", I don't need a diesel the 99.9% of the other days of the year.

index.php

It a pickup

J
Dec 8, 2007
North Powder, OR
I've got a 2500HD duramax and a 2500HD gasser with the 8.1. The duramax is a better performer all the way around. I do like my big block though, but it gets the same milage unloaded as my duramax gets pulling my 24ft toy hauler. The 6.2 new gasser rips pretty good though, and the six speed tranny will help a TON. Unless your towing a lot, i'm not really sure it's worth paying for the diesel motor. I tow a lot, so it works for me, but if i wasn't towing very much i'd probably love a new 2500hd with the 6.2. Don't think that motor has the torque my 8.1 does, but more horsepower and probably could out run it fairly easily. I agree with the fact a halfton is a little light for towing a four place inclosed, i'm sure it'll do it just fine, but it's nice to have a little more iron underneathe ya when the cross winds and downhill grades pop up.

Good luck!

S
Jan 29, 2009
Afton Wy.
yeah, go for the diesel, but not the DIRTYMAX, I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 Mega cab single wheel, with the Bully Dog Triple Dog programer, I can pull whatever I want and still maintain 18-20mpg and 75+ MPH uphill, running empty I have gotten as good as 30MPG, you won't do that with a gas or a DIRTYMAX

CUMMINS POWER

X
Oct 26, 2008
yeah, go for the diesel, but not the DIRTYMAX, I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 Mega cab single wheel, with the Bully Dog Triple Dog programer, I can pull whatever I want and still maintain 18-20mpg and 75+ MPH uphill, running empty I have gotten as good as 30MPG, you won't do that with a gas or a DIRTYMAX

CUMMINS POWER

you do NOT get 30 mpg.... again stop reading your digital display cause its way off with that banks box you've got in there

J
Dec 8, 2007
North Powder, OR
you do NOT get 30 mpg.... again stop reading your digital display cause its way off with that banks box you've got in there

Good call.....my "dirtymax" registers 29mpg @ 60mph with the edge in it. Pretty obvious a 3/4ton pickup won't get that kinda milage....maybe his clunkins has some cylinder shut off we just haven't gotten our hands on yet. :beer;:D

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Good call.....my "dirtymax" registers 29mpg @ 60mph with the edge in it. Pretty obvious a 3/4ton pickup won't get that kinda milage....maybe his clunkins has some cylinder shut off we just haven't gotten our hands on yet. :beer;:D

Yeah, about 6 of em!!!

X
Sep 5, 2008
Thanks for all the info. I was comparing the denali pickup to a 3/4 ton. My F150 is probably out of commission for several weeks and will probably never get the burnt electrical smell out of it. I ended up with a 08 F250 6.4L the dealership had left on the lot. It has the same options as the denali and 09 F150 I looked at less the leather and cost the same or less so it was pretty hard to turn it down. Picking it up tommorow :).

I have a 08 F 350 with the 6.4. It pulls great. If you want to loose the DPF and CAT look into Spartan Diesel. I deleted the emissions, put a tuner on it as well as a CAI and it makes a huge difference. I pull a 24' enclosed side by side with four sleds and three buddies in the truck and get about 14 mpg with plenty of power to spare. If you get above 70 the millage goes in the $hitter.

B
Nov 26, 2007
rigs

i have an 08 denali xl and an 07 sierra hd 2500 duramax crewcab.

the denali will get you 6mpg, and doesn't have the torque of the diez...

the HD will get 8-9mpg....and rarely downshifts.

take the deiz....no question.

Premium Features